RF options

Just ordered kit and i am looking for imput on options that maybe you would have installed on bought if you had it to do over again thanks Bob

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, so much has changed that the neat stuff 3 years ago is standard equipment now - you get 6 pot front and 4 pot rear AP brakes as standard, used to it was some simple PBRs but those were good too.

Most of the stuff I would do you can do here for the same money, Robert isn't making much of anything on it - race harnesses, fire bottle, etc.

But, I'd take the LSD from him, that is a must, and I'd definitely get the cage in the car, no doubt about that. It doesn't take much space at all and will be well worth it I think. And, the 6 speed if budget allows but if you don't mind building a motor that will take some RPM I don't think it is really needed that much, IMHO.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing it show up over here!

Ron

While the RF is and has been a great car, there's always room for improvement, if the budget allows. Here's my list:

* Upgraded brakes (already there on the new kits).
* Cage or roll bar.
* Fire system.
* Capability to use a Porsche G50, if you want big HP.
* Chrome-moly suspension bits.
* Right-hand drive.
* Get the quick-build. Well worth it, IMO.
* Leather interior.
* MOTEC ECU and 8-stack EFI.
* Gulf flares.

I would consider NOT getting a 1 inch dropped floor. Unless your tall up top I dont think its desirable. It moves you forward, about a inch , which gives you less leg room if your taller from the belt line down. It gives you less ground clearance (I'm a little worried bout that ) in the center of the car (1 inch droop from the fwd edge of the seats to the aft bulkhead). And at extream high speeds may lead to overall less down force. As the air enters under the car , Half way back the floor slopes down 1 inch causing the air to slightly dam and slow down ,leading to a positive preasure instead of the opposite for instance with a undertray where the air speeds up and creates low pres. with a diffuser .
I dont know if RF is still making the car available with a flat floor or not , but I would inquire.
Just my OPINION on that, I am a shade over 6ft with a 31 inch inseam.I dont need the height , but could use a little more leg room.
I would get a removable steering wheel hub. The one RF offers is very nice SPA unit all fit and ready to go. I like mine and would strongly recommend.

Oh I forgot, electric mirrors are nice too. You cant see well out of these cars and to be able to adjust the mirrors just right any time is a plus. IF you choose RFs or others I would consider. That or convex units might be good to use from another provider , I had them on a modified 60s vette and liked them (also made by SPA) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
I too have recently ordered an RF (turnkey) and I am finding that the more I read on this forum, the more RF options I am learning about that do not show up on the RF website options list. I also noticed in an article on the RF website that traction control was provided on one of their recent turnkeys. I guess that I will ask Hersh if such a list exists. I definately would like to add some additional options to my car based on what I've been reading.

Thanks and regards,

Al H.

My understanding that they offer Motec. This can be configured with a huge number of inputs outputs. I have a friend running Motec on his 300HP 2ltr Vauxhaul. He has Launch control,wheel speed sensors etc etc. Its pretty cool I can not remember how many channels but it is a lot.Have a look here... MOTEC

www.motec.com if I screwed up the link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the Motec pointer Dave, I included the Motec option on my RF but did not know how much the Motec ECM is capable of until now.

Does anyone know if the RF Motec option includes an SBF intake manifold, and if not, where this is typically sourced from?

By the way, Hershal just emailed me back and told me he would see if there is a comprehesive list of all RF options available from RF HQ. I continue to get just totally outstanding customer service from Hershal and RF!

Al H.

I like the option of getting it painted from RF. The price is great!! You can't get any type of a paint job for that price.

Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
There are quite a few options as pointed out: cockpit adjustable roll bars as well, traction control, fire bombs, 4 and 6 point cages, race replica paint schemes, 6 speeds, LSDs, BRM/Halibrand, periscopes, gurney bubble, race harnesses, various leather trim, gauges packages (mech/elec), full heim joint suspension (old style was mostly so), powdercoating colors on frame, panel material, left/right drive, center/right shift, MKII option, MoTec/carb, and a new others. Many of these can be done to any GT40 at any time.

One thing I do like is while RF will do a lot of different race-slanted performance options they do not stray too far from what a lot of folks here consider "GT40". Gauges, wheels, look and feel seems to revolve around a standard GT40 style look without the flashy factor.

Back