GT40 Speech

Hay im doing a Speech at school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif about the GT40 and i need sites with good information, does any body kno any sites??? it would be MUCH appreaciated if i could get some feed back before the end of this week!

Thanks, Jamie

I would get one of the many books that have been written about them as this would give you the history from the start in the early sixties.
Try ebay / amazon.

Ron Earp

Admin
What is the speech to be about? That is - what about the GT40?

An overview?
Technological innovations during development?
Team dynamics and efforts?
Racing/race results?
Car history?
Design history?
Ford vs. Ferrari?
Henry Ford II compared to Enzo?
Big coproration vs small corporation?

Just trying to make a point there are a lot of things your talk could focus on and still be "about GT40s". You need to pick one or two, link them together, and run with it in that fashion.

Once you know what you are going to talk about then you can easily get refernce matericals.

Ron

Keith

Ron, as usual, is being very incisive. Some very good points here for anyone looking to understand the complex relationships between corporate necessity, passion and ego. I firmly believe that one of the reasons the GT40 invokes so much fire in people (even those too young to remember) is that it embodies the very cornerstones of the principles of a competitive free market society. "If I can't join you - I'll beat you", quite apart from the fact that out of this scenario came a work of automotive art (the '40) which will endure. Overall, a fascinating subject and an ideal focus for your presentation.

Your project holds interest for us because you are too young to have been there and yet you are inspired by the GT40 legend. It sort of comforts us in a way, to know that our generation (and those following) were not wrong in realising that what transpired here was a truly unique event in automotive history.

Sorry for the long post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jamie,

A visual will sink the hook into your audience.

If allowed, include an enlarged photo of a GT40 in action.

Touch the audience's own secret dreams of driving a racecar.

Once they personally relate to the subject, you'll have

them in the palm of your hand.

Your obvious passion for the subject won't hurt either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron is correct. Pick one or two related GT40 topics, and

cover them well. That will go over better with your

audience than "breezing through" the entire portfolio.

I predict a lot of questions from your friends afterwards!

Best of luck!

Bill

For background technical info, see the related SAE papers on the development history of the GT40, you might be able to access them through the inter-librarial loan program...

Good luck!

Rick

Bill's right - "a visual will sink the hook into the audience".

But, audio would land them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
What is the speech to be about? That is - what about the GT40?

An overview?
Technological innovations during development?
Team dynamics and efforts?
Racing/race results?
Car history?
Design history?
Ford vs. Ferrari?
Henry Ford II compared to Enzo?
Big coproration vs small corporation?

Just trying to make a point there are a lot of things your talk could focus on and still be "about GT40s". You need to pick one or two, link them together, and run with it in that fashion.

Once you know what you are going to talk about then you can easily get refernce matericals.

Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Its kind of an overview and a car history thanks alot for your help its really great! Getting a book would be a good idea if i had more time but i only have 5 more days to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jamie,
Take a breath and think what you want to write about ,I see you have only 5 days left to write your essay and you are in a panic.However if you focus,you can do this well.You obviously love the GT40 like the large audience here of certified GT40 lovers,they are here to help.You have to write it yourself but you have an amazing resource available here at the forum. These guys have been there and done it .A lot of us saw the cars run in the sixties. I was your age when I saw my first GT40 and it left an amazing impression ,I saw a lady called Patsy Burke drive one up Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb ,probably 66 or 67 ,the sound was awseome and that was it I had to have one ,someday.Took me 30 years to realise my dream, 30 years too long . There are superb photos and information available here on the forum. How long does your speech need to be ? I think every car sold on e bay has the generic speech about Ford and Ferrari,this is a good start, Follow Rons ideas , these are great topics.How about the new Ford Gt v's Gt40 . Do a comparison of the new cars dimensions and power output vs the Mk1.The new GT is an amazing car and follows all the safety requirements af 2005 .It is a great design ,does it impart the same kind of fervour as the original,probably not.You have picked a great subject for a speech, you can do it if you use your enthusiasm. I have a suspicion that Keith H could write it for you since "he's got it "

Thank you all so much for your help! I have finnished it now and will be presenting it on Monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif DAMN SCHOOL!!!

I refer to the above post by Keith H.........every year I organise a Lotus Charity weekend.This year we are honoured to have Sir John Whitmore as an our after dinner speaker. This has caused huge interest so much so that the event in May was oversubscribed last October.Bearing in mind that JW retired in 66/67 and that most of our guests were not even born then , it reinforces the fact that the GT40 has great pulling power and the power grows.As an owner 1971-75 I understand the pull but for a new generation to show such interest is most heartwarming.
I listened in awe last summer to Sir John as he gave a 2 hour talk with a slideshow and was completely blown away by tales fron a different ( my ) era.
Ronnie Spain is also joining us for the weekend ...a man you could listen to for hours and hours such is his deep knowledge and love of the car.A veritable powerhouse on information.
If it would be on interest I can report in early June on the weekend with script and photgraphs.

LOL Jamie,
If when i was a sudent anyone made me a question about gt40, i surely will have had a too high valutation in that eheh, really.
Anyway if u are here and u have the time to look around in Ron's forum u will found many many great informations about your work.

And if u are crazy as me for this car u also already will have many books about it.
I can only provide u the Mauro Forghieri's e.mail if u need...he was the man fighting against gt40 with Ferrari,and he also loves at all that wonderful ford terminator shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If u also have a car that need the right tuning from the RIGHT man...try contact his factory here http://www.oralengineering.com/

Mauro is still a great great engeneer, one of the few able to make a winning Ferrari just with his brain.

Paul

Back