New garage

Gentlemen, and you other guys,

I am in the process of having a 40'L x 24'W x 12'H (w/40'x 16'W x 6'H loft) garage erected, and need suggestions. I HAVE searched for the previous thread, which contained some great ideas, but had no luck finding it, so I'm posing the question again.

What would you include in a new garage??????

Any and all ideas will be considered and appreciated.

A simple list would be great, in order of preference.

Thanks!

Bill

Attachments

• 55141-MVC-002F.JPG
    55141-MVC-002F.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 429
A good strong ceiling so you can store all your cr*p in the space above.....been there done that.
Storage space, dehumidifier (depending on where you are I 'spose) good security (10,000 volts through the door handle would do it......maybe not if you're the forgetful type.)
An inspection pit/hydraulic ramp

Ahhh dreams.

Simon

Hi Bill.

You need to speak to the lad Malcolm (or search his postings). He went throught the same exercise last year and now has a fabulous garage, complete with 4 poster lift, brake test rollers, etc.

No doubt he'll be along soon.....

Charles

Be sure to put the ceiling high enough for a lift. A low one like they use on used car lots might be enough. About 36" unless you want a full size one. Plumb in the compressed air lines, and a sturdy work bench(metal or wood). If space is a problem, it could be a colapsable one(hinged on the wall). Make sure space is wide enough to open the 40s doors and other cars in the garage as well. If you don't have one already, an engine lift with balance bar and foldup legs for easy storage.

Bill

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
If you are like me, then (in addition to what was already mentioned) good lighting, floor drains, hot and cold running water, enough power to run at least a MIG welder and finally a sat receiver/tv (in that order) will make you very happy.

Best Regards,

Al H.

All great suggestions! Thanks!

My garage has a 12' ceiling (see photo showing 9'H x 10'W

garage doors).

I'll list what I plan on, so far;

1. Frost proof hose bib outside entry door.
2. A ton of outlets, including a 220v on each end.
3. A good 150psi compressor w/hard plumbed lines.
4. Phone line
5. Intercom line to my house
6. Attachment to my home's fire/burglar alarm system
7. Lighting everywhere, although I haven't decided on type.
8. Two STURDY workbenches (one on either end)
9. Stereo
10. Fridge
11. A level concrete floor(epoxy painted)w/beveled 3'apron.
12. Heat & A/C. Nothing worse than freezing or sweating!
13. A ducted exhaust fan (maybe, for sanding/painting)
14. Lots of shelving and cabinets (12' walls to cover)
15. Insulation
16. Lift, maybe. Pit, no.
17. Have the engine crane, floor jacks, stands already
18. Rubber mats in front of workbenches
19. Sections of carpet, for working on the floor
20. A plastic curtain of some sort to section off the bays.
21. Multiple fire extinguishers
22. Outside floodlights (corners)
23. The mandatory semi-clad "garage beauties" calendar!
24. W/C, maybe, haven't decided yet.

What have I forgotten?

I've got 960sq ft + a 580sq ft loft to work with.

Bill

Well, if you want Faili to hang around, a keg of Guinness
complete with nitrogen lines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might want a place to put a laptop and either wireless
or wired access so you can surf while working.

Maybe a bathroom too.

Ian

Item 7 - Plan for lots of lighting, then add some more!! Make sure you put in enough switches so you don't have to run all on all the time.
Item 14 - far more cabinets that open shelves - much cleaner over time (and paint the cabinet doors white - really helps with lighting.
Item 24 - if not a full bathroom, at least a sink - keeps the wife happy if you are at least semi-clean when you come if from your toys.

I'd suggest using radient heat in the slab.
Definatly a W/C if your already plumbing it its only a few $$ more for the convience of not having to run to house, and hearing about the greasy fingerprints on the door.

I'll second the Heated floor. It is a inexpensive heat to operate and since your feet will be warm, you'll find you won't set the temp as high. Forced air and 12' ceilings sucks when you are laying on a creeper! You could run it off of a domestic water heater and get hot water for a slop sink as well.

AAAAHHHHH the garage, my favorite topic! I would agree with everything that has been said here. The only thing I would change is eliminate item 4 & 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you don't put in a full W/C at least put in a uranal and a sink. I have a small sink only big enough to wash my hands, which is all I need. I have a parts washer for cleaning anything else.

For cabinets, take a look at Home Depot. I bought the ones that you put together yourself. They come in many sizes and you can get them with or with out doors. You can add doors later if you want. I agree with getting them in white. They are inexpensive, strong, look great, and easy to clean. They come with all the hardware needed. The insides are finished with some type of vinyl which allows you to just wipe up any oil or grease that might drip off of a can.

Finally, I covered my walls with pictures I have taken over the years and printed out. I buy frames at the Dollor store and paint them all the same color. I think it's a great look. I also painted my garage with a light gray about 1/2 up the wall, a 6" red stripe and white the rest of the way ot the ceiling. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Thank you all! Super suggestions!

I will definitely look into the heated floor.

The W/C and utility sink will be easy add ons too.

I already have the blonde secretary(wife), without whose

wonderful attitude about my hobbies, none of this would be

possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I plan on LOADS of cabinets. Whites ones are in the plan,

as is a light colored floor. Interior will be all white.

Exterior will be tan, wood grained, vinyl siding. Roof will

be gray steel.

What lighting would you suggest? Fluorescent? Sodium Vapor?

After building the garage, I've got a bad feeling about

bringing a stray Cobra home! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'd just end up

cutting everything in half!

FF, Now, how did I know that #23 would be on your list? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Great minds do think alike! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Imagine that!

Keep 'em comin' guys! Thanks!

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paint everything white. I would even paint the floor white but most people won't. So paint it the lightest shade of grey you can. The reflection off the white walls and cabinets will really help any lighting you have.

Put a 110v ac outlet every 6 feet all the way around at the standard wall switch height.

Good strong beams across the whole ceiling with eye hooks that you can hang a portable electric 1000 pound wire rope hoist on. Place the eye hooks every 3 feet all the way across the width of the garage. This way you can lift just about everything everywhere.

Buy the largest aircompressor you can afford and put it outside in a shead alongside your garage. Shop for a nice quite pump that is not oiless. The oiless pumps are loud! Plum the garage with at least one air outlet on each wall.

More light.

Room for a large layup table out in the middle of the floor at least 6'X 8'

Heres the most important part. Make the floor dead flat. I mean really really flat. Flat enought to do your own alinements. You will find this to be very useful. Have the concrete guy use a steel rule for the finish work

More light.

Phone line with different number from house, RG45 line for computer, cable tv setup.

Big steel bench all welded together with huge vice, 6" jaws 8 would be better, on corner. The more this thing weights the better. Shelf on bottom for sand bags if necessary.

More light

Room for car with front and rear clip off on floor next to it. If I built one I would make it 40 X 20 at least. If you keep the lawn stuff, christmas crap, bicycles, and all the oher stuff out of their it should be big enough.

I guess it depends on what you want but I think a whole house fan with shutters on the ceiling would be nice. Have screen doors , so if its nice out you can work at night and and have no bugs/mosquitos, etc,,, and a nice breeze coming through your walk in doors/windows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I do have a 8ft bar , big screen, stereo, refridge,and slot car setup ,bars on windows (actually on inside btwn glass and miniblinds and painted white to match)alarm as well as the screen doors etc in mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dan,

Your garage is everyone else's dream! I'd be afraid to get it dirty! I do monthly garage cleanups, not daily! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I may include a poker table in case a game breaks out, but a full on lounge, with a pole dancer's pole, no. Come to think of it, I do have a bar and stools that I could refinish..... And I know a few girls who'd look good swingin' on a pole.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Howard,

I'm with you on the level floor(read above)!! The floor will be white. Air compressor will be at least 150psi, 75 gallon tank. It will be sound insulated. I have a chainfall, which will be attachable every 2' overhead. I plan to include overhead, hanging outlets down the centerline, as well as LOTS of wall outlets. Overall size of the garage is 24' x 40' , and the garden, Christmas crap, bicycles, etc., will NOT be allowed, EVER!
They are the reason I needed a new garage to begin with! (Already have a two car garage and a shed full of that crap) My 40 can hardly breathe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Still wondering what everybody's thoughts are on lights???
I know, LOTS! But, what type(fluorescent, sodium, etc.), and how many? Remember, it's a 12' ceiling.

More ideas, please!

Bill

Many years ago I put in a slab for a garage. Layed it thick enough to put real machine tools on the floor. The wife got the idea of finish it with a garage and a guest house.

We put in enough power both 110 and 220, a good Quincy compressor, a mill, lathe, blast cab, mig, sink, small refrigerator, phone, network w internet connection, air lines w quick disconnects, and all that other stuff. Computer and iTunes provides the music. Has been a great place to work.

Would only do a couple of things differently ... more overhead space, a lift, more shelving at startup, and a W/C so that one did not have to go into the guest house.

Enjoy!

Back