Storing the body

I think you will find your body will maintain its shape if you support it in storage much the same as it would be supported on the finished car. Don't let the front section sag across the windshield end; support the center section under the windsheild area; support the rear section across the area that sets on the center section and don't let the doors lean on the edge that closes into the roof. It is better to support the doors underside where they bend 90 degrees toward the roof. This is what I found while building several GTD's

I know that the conventional wisdom is that the body will sag over time but has anyone actually tested the theory? I ask because I effectively ran a test myself and found it NOT to be the case at all.

During the build I managed to line up all the panels except for the centre edge of the roof section of the drivers door which dipped by about 2mm below the roof line. Since I was happy with the rest of the fit, rather than continue the process I chose to over-prop up that edge section of the door and hope that over time it would permanently bend up to the desired shape. The rest of the build took a further three years and over that time the body saw temperature changes of below zero C in the winter and up to 50C (in a tin shed) in the summer. Over these three years, my attempts didn’t even make a minor impression to the shape of the door. The 2mm dip eventually had to be solved another way.

[ QUOTE ]

I know that the conventional wisdom is that the body will sag over time but has anyone actually tested the theory?

[/ QUOTE ]
I helped a friend build a Tiger(7 clone) the bonnet(hood) had a 25mm gap at the join with the nose cone and a 15mm gap at the scuttle end, looked bloody awfull /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif the grp parts had been stored for 18 months. I think it depends on the manufacturer, if the panels are taken out of the moulds 'green'they WILL sag and warp, if they are allowed to mature they shouldn't. I think that I would support the panels till they are ready to be fitted. Just my 2p worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is a timely post because I have just removed my front and rear clip from storage in a shed in South Florida were the parts have sat for 18 months. The clips were stored laying flat with the rear clip in the normal position and the front clip inverted. I did take the procaution of supporting the front clip in the front and rear so that all the wieght did not rest on the front fender curve.

After close inspection and hanging the parts on the chassie, I have found no distortion in either part that I would think in abnormal.

Peter

Well I think it kinda goes the way bermuda grass grows,,,LOL
It spreads where you dont want it to and wont where you need it .Here is my experience.
My car was shipped in a big brown shipping container and was held up in port about 2 months in Long Beach .They had record temps that spring there, in the high 90s . When I finally got my car the front clip was riding up on the area where the windshield wiper post comes through. This caused most of the weight from the front clip to hang on it . Normally the clip droops in the center and you support it with some rubber "stands" to the correct height.My clip had a roller coaster effect with a huge high spot in the middle. The parts were very green and actually just laid up shortly before shipping . This must have been a factor.RF sent me a new front clip to take care of the problem . I have tried slightly warping a door top with a halogen light and some weight staying on it for several days. You remove the weight and in about 3 more days it goes right back to where it started . Maybe I didnt do it long enough, or the part is now too cured from the time passing since it was made ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Creep in composites is a well known phenomena that is more or less observable depending on the types of resins used as well as the types and amounts of catalyst used. Composites in general continue to cure for years and years, but some combinations cure more quickly (or completely) than others. Those that cure more slowly or those which have not cured completely enough are more prone to creep and, as noted, the amount of creep is directly proportional to temperature. Bottom line, it can happen with most any composite, but is more likely to happen with unsuitable materials. (The composites used in early "kit cars" were often unsuitable, as I discovered in an Avenger body years ago.)

As an FYI about body storage, the area above my two car garage door was found to be the perfect size to store my front and rear clips. I built a loft over my garage door which had a 36" high opening between its floor and the ceiling and stored the body there while building the chassis.

Regards,
Lynn

Back