Looking for Suggestions - Come one come all!

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, I'm looking for some suggestions on "changes" to the forum structure. Before I move the forum to a new platform (coming, but not in the next few weeks) I want to make sure that we have all forum and subforums in place that we want.

Therefore I am looking for ideas and suggestions. Some of the ones that I would like to make or plan to make are:

*Move "Off Topic" and "Questions" to the General GT40s area

*S Can the GT40 Gallery, roll content into Historic sections or to brand sections if they exist

*S Can the "Library" and roll posts to their respective areas

*Expand techincal forums for more clarity - suggestions welcome - Transaxles and Driveline are clearly getting their own!

*Make another attempt at getting the Video section up and running in the Media Center

*Put Clubs and Manufactuers under one heading

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Ron I think thats how the company I work for asks for suggestions too !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, put a box out and nobody ever goes back to look in the box for the suggestions! The Man keeping us down.

R

I cannot see the point or need for some of these suggestions, whilst expanding the technical side is probably a good idea, there can only be unecessary confusion by combining other unrelated issues, particularly clubs and manufacturers, and why play with the most read section of the forum "All GT40". It works now, leave it alone Ron, you have better things to do ! Frank

Ron,

I don’t know if any new software offers this, but could it be possible to re-arrange the topics the way you see fit. Put your most viewed topics at the top of your list. Just a thought.

Ron Earp

Admin
Richard,

You can do that now. Open up a forum so that you are looking at all the posts, that is, don't click on a post to go to the forum click on the title of the forum. Look at the headings, you'll have view, last post, etc - if you click on the heading your view will rearrange from most to least and visa vera each time you click on it. Sticky topics will be sticky still, but give it a try. It does exactly what you want, just hard for me to explain. You can rearrange by rating, replies, views, last post, etc.

Frank I hear you on that and I have a lot to do, but this software is a patchwork of stuff. Sort of like a Ford Fiesta all tarted up to go racing - it works but at the end of the day you've got a Fiesta race car when you could have gotten a purpose built race car.

When I talk about moving Off Topic and Questions I don't mean cramming all their topics into "All GT40s" I mean putting them under the same subheading of general discussion. I would not want off topic under All GT40, it'd make a mess.

And some of the others are taking up space. DeadLast was going to handle the FAQ/DYI section years ago but it has sort of withered and died, it'd be best to roll them up if nobody wants to take a project like that on - which I doubt anyone does. Clubs and Manufactuers would be under one category but each would have their own forums still.

R

How about a files, FAQ or other archive section? The message threads are a great resource, but I know there is more information buried in there that I just don't know how to search for yet.

It would also be nice to have sections for the various brands (including those lucky enough to have an original). In fact, it would be real sweet to have build archive sections for the various brands (assuming you have the storage space).

But I have to say - this is a great site, thanks Ron. I was about to give up on building a GT40 figuring the cost was more than I wanted to spend. Your site and the people here made me aware of RF and RCR - and suddenly building a GT40 is a real possibility. (Now I'm just trying to decide between the two - both great cars and both Fran and Hershal have been great help).

Of course my wife may have a different comment about your site....

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to search and find topics, can this be improved on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just use Google and restict the search to gt40s.com site, see advanced options or use this command line "[search term] site:gt40s.com"

Ron, all good suggestions.

The main benefit I can see in the upgrade is getting functionality for each user to have their own Image Gallery. Now that would be fantastic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

How about an electronic "dart board", with Moderator's picture in the center? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The picture can be change every month, with "Sub moderators" for different sections.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Faili's still sitting on his A$$ letting his poor wife support him!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a beautiful thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Some of us should be so lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim, "LOVE YOU MAN". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave,,,, Bud, Howard and I will be thinking about you tommorow morning when driving to the coast (wife is paying for my gas) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mr. Moderator, forgive me, Please carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My god, pays your gas too. Please don’t send me into depression and tell me she loves lingerie (and shops for it herself) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A "links" page so we can collect various vendors (advertisers or otherwise) in one convenient spot? Categories for things like tools, materials, books, wheels, manufacturers, etc. Ideally with some way to mark the advertisers (= forum supporters)?

Actually, thinking about this some more, it could just be a pinned post in the existing Consumer Watch section. The rest of the section would provide reviews & the like, as it does now.

I'll volunteer to maintain such a page if you have a way to grant edit privileges...

Ron Earp

Admin
We could rename it to something clever that reflects that and I can easily set it up so you can move topics, delete topics, etc. in that forum.

Ron

Don't know if this got looked at, so copied it and moved it here.

Since I couldn't find a reply to Ron's post on forum changes, thought I would start it. My only suggestion is to expand the events calander so that events in the future can be viewed. I would like to know, for instance, where and when the next run and gun will be held. That way I can plan ahead for it.
While I'm on that subject, can we make the events calender or just "Events" be a topic on the forum?? Have some sort of scrolling calendar and posts as well???
Just my thoughts.

Bill

Back