Why did you choose the car you have?

I couldn't find a similar thread (surprised, but I may not be searching properly) and I think the answers would be helpful to those of us still looking at the alternatives. It would be helpful if you would identify what stage of completion the car was at the time of purchase (i.e., kit, partially assembled, turnkey minus, or completed). If this has been asked a lot before, I apologize and would like help finding the thread.

I suspect the answer varies quite a bit depending on
location. Used and partial builds come up for sale frequently in the UK....but until recently there were VERY FEW in the US. An occassional CAV or ERA or GTD pop up for sale...but again...very infrequently.

So I suspect most US owners purchased either kits...or
in the case of CAV...turnkey minus. As more kits are completed in the US, we'll see used cars come up for sale
more often....but it will take a while. For the next several
years I suspect kits will be the most common purchase in the US.

MikeD

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I was born in 1966.... the first year a GT won le mans... and should have my GT by march (my 40th birthday present to me!!!!!) always wanted to build a car and the GT is actually my second choice (blasphemy I hear you all cry) my first choice would be this.... but the drivers legs are forward of the front axle so wouldnt be street legal... also bolting together 2 flat 6 boxer engines to replicate a flat 12 would be 'interesting' although I've seen it done. A guy in new zealand actually makes 917 chassis.... one day.....lol

Attachments

• 67655-917.jpg
    67655-917.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 236
I too love 917's, and strangely it was a 917 thread that led me to this Forum, but I then stumpled accross some Lola parts have been hooked ever since.

I am still locating parts for mine!!

One day..........

John,
I'm one of the ones who bought an unfinished kit. Mine is a DRB(now GT40 Australia). Original owner had it for about four years and gave up on it. It was somewhat a roller. Had a rebuilt engine that had not been fired up. I made all the classic mistakes in buying it and have written an article on buying and paying for an unfinished or used kit. It was published in the "GT40". The official magazine of the GTD 40 Car Club. I wound up violating most of the suggestions in the article, my experience(hence the suggestions). The car had a number of problems. The brake calipers were ancient corvette units which had outlived their usefulness. The rebuilt engine had been left out in the rain, and there was rust in several of the cylinders etc., etc., etc. The article is really very informative and full of useful suggestions to save the potential buyer a lot of headaches and money.
I will make copies available to any of the members that would want it. It is sitting on my computer. Buying an unfinished kit is a bigger challenge than most realize. Unless you have a dedicated time frame and a budget to match, along with an understanding wife or girl friend, the project will take at least 3 times your time frame and one and a half times your budget. I think others will agree, that life's little inconviences have a way of popping out of the woodwork, slowing you down to a snails pace, and depleting your budget. I had planned on 6 to 8 months to finish mine. I had money put aside to purchase, and completely finish it. Now 3 years later, it still sits on its stand(it has been down a time or two for paint and rollcage etc.). A tremendous amount of progress and $20K later, it is still not on the road. It's just the way life is when you have a house and two kids to keep up. You just work on it when you can, and you think of lots of ways to save money.

Bill

Back