Barrett Jackson GT 40

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My guess is that it's a Safir Chassis which I think are considered MkV's. Maybe someone else here can correct or confirm that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi Tim,
that is a Safir car, originally went to the states in 1985,
so barrett jacksons description could be deemed misleading? mentioning the original 1967 production run of MkV's - which weren't built for another 17-18 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Out of curiosity I emailed Barrett-Jackson and asked when it was built and by whom. Their reply was:
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, the only information that we can provide to you is the information that is already on the website. If it is not stated, we are not authorized to give out information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Wonder what it will bring? If that average built CAV a few years ago went for $117k back in, when was that, 2002? Then this thing ought to go for a fortune!

I bet the buyer of that CAV is not a happy camper nowadays - nothing wrong with the car, it just wasn't worth $117k or close to it. One year later an almost identical car went for $60k.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
When I first got serious about getting myself a GT40 I looked at the Safir Mark V cars and they were a stagering 185,000 pounds US $ 330,000. The Holman car was over US $ 600,000 so the kit cars were so much more affordable.

Best wishes,

Robert

I know the owner of this car and have seen and sat in this car. I believe it is labeled as a 1967 on the title because it was that or import it as a race car at the time , from what I was told. It is a MK V and is in MINT condition.The body fit is fantastic as is the rest of the car. The tires are the originals as supplied on the car in 1985 .

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone care to take a wild guess at what it will ultimatley sell for?

If it goes with "no reserve" I would venture to say low $400k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keith

Well spotted. Does no-one get upset when cars like this get so misrepresented? is the description written by the current owners or their agents?

Ron Earp

Admin
Keith,

Not as upset as they do in the UK. In the US, the buyer must always beware. Always. Seems like a nice car, but I am of the camp that thinks in all seriousness, the car is simply a nice car but no original GT40. Call it a Safir Mark V, call it a Safir Replica, it isn't an original GT40 of the group produced back in the day.

What is Safir builds a car today, as best they can, to duplicate the original GT40 from the 60s? How much is it worth and what does one call it?

Ron

Keith

Yes Ron, I agree. This represents both a major cultural and legal difference between us. If that advert appeared here, one would be tempted to report them to the Trading Standards Office for misrepresentation. Once having been purchased, the buyer could unravel the sale (in the civil courts) if the product was missold. In fact, it would be (and I have to be careful here) a fraud (it is alleged)in the UK. There, I think we're covered! It does make my blood boil though that people can say almost what they like to suck in an unsuspecting buyer, but I do see where caveat emptor fits in in the US, and indeed seems to work very well.

My guess is it will reach 175 to 225K. It seems to me a MK III car sold at auction last yaer for just over 300k and the commentators on the tv coverage said it was the deal of the weekend.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Can't wait to hear Brock Yates' commentary on this one. He generally has a bit of cynicism towards replicas. We'll see how he positions himself on this one and if he knows the real link between the MkV and the MkI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guys this is my car it is P1096, it was built in September of 85, changed from white with blue stripes to black before delivery to the original purchaser. The car is in the Shelby registry nothing to hide here. They are the original tires and in 1985 they were B F Goodrich T/A, it is a MKV, it was titled and is still tilted as a 67 and that happened for a number of reasons none of which I understand other than the J W Automotive vin plate attached to the car carries the number P1096 and it could not be titled in 1985 with a 5 digit vin code. JW Automotive was the constructor of P1075 and many other small block cars, they were the licensed owner of the name GT40 and the reason the new GT does not carry the name GT40. The car will bring whatever it brings, I had several offers on the car and decided if I am going to sell it I have the right to get all I can, we still live in a free enterprise world and I am not ashamed of what this car is, I will tell anyone that asks. With that said I have tried to get the nomenclature corrected through Barrett-Jackson they have trouble with descriptions of anything they are not car guys. Technically the car is already sold, we’ll see if it does better than the guarantee I have, with that said I do not have much more to offer. Even Ronnie Spain well known GT40 historian has blessed these cars as authentic GT40’s, to my knowledge none of the kits have received that blessing and none of the kits carry an authorized vin derivative from the original grouping of assigned numbers, yes it is a MK V and I have told them that repeatedly. What do you guys think it will sell for?

Ron Earp

Admin
I dunno. They are good cars and are certainly the part, my guess is around $240-$275k, but I don't know so much about Safir cars or values. A lot of the BJ descriptions are horrible and incorrect, so this does not suprise me in the least with respect to this one being slightly over eager. Be interesting. You could start a poll and monitor results!

Thanks for chiming in Roy and good to see you on the forum.I have known Roy for almost 20 years and his reputation in the classic car world is A-1 as is his honesty . I would be bummed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that someday when my car is done we couldn't go cruising together though if your GT has found another home.Regards, Dan

I think we're mixing 'legality' with spirit. Is a Safir an original? In spirit, No way. Is it legally a GT-40? If they own the name, they can call it what they want, I guess. Same logic applies to ole Shel's new 'original' Cobras CX 4xxx. He won the court case, I believe.
Re. worth, seems to me the major portion of $$$ paid for a vintage car is the fact that it's vintage. If it's not vintage, it's value is based solely on today's construction and performance standards, i.e. how does it compare to any other brand GT-40? Is Safir's quality or realism that much different than ERA's, or CAV's or whoever's? Is the difference worth 3, 4 times the others?
Personally, I don't think so...and I looked at Safir's offerings back in 1995. Nice cars though.

Back