Is this car an original in your opinion??

Hi all,
As I already posted here, in Iatly we seem to have only ONE gt40, original car.
I found in "100 ore di Modena " classic race a picture of it.
Dunno much more about the car, just that is titled as 1965 Gt40 mk1.

I try ask u if u know a little more than me in recognizing an original vehicle.
unfortunately I still didnt have found the car for real, so I havent the opportunity to make some pictures as I WANT to the car.

Just curious if this is really an original vehilce, hope u can help me

4.jpg

THIS is the list of the cars involved in that event. The other gt40 is a real UK original

Paolo -Italy

hi

the car looks like a replica, has a typical replica KVA MK111 nostril; in front of the nostril looks typically flat; lower radiator aperture looks single skinned and the wheels look like split rims.
The screen looks as though it has a black surround original screens don't the petrol filler caps are sitting typically horizontal, on original cars they are machined to sit at an angle to follow the body contour.

regards

Chris

Ian Clark

Supporter
Paolo,

All the original cars are accounted for so determining is provenance should be no problem it it was in fact an original car. Photographic evidence suggests otherwise.

On the plus side, it is very pretty and the price of aquisition will be a fraction of the original. If it's a well built and sorted car and you want a GT40, why not?

If you want an original car, that's another matter. There's lots of debate here even if "authorized" production after the "original production run" should be considered "real" take Safirs, Sauber, Hollman etc.

Never a shortage of information and opinion...

Cheers

Keith

This is a picture of Ray Bellms car from the same event... Can anyone tell me what this (ringed in red)appears to be?? Or is it a trick of the light/angle??

Attachments

• 72491-2.jpeg.jpg
    72491-2.jpeg.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 350

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Keith

My guess would be a Cobra or E Type roof following him through the corner.

I had a quick look and could not see the same colours in the line up but then presumably the photos were taken at some previous event to make the catalogue

Ian

Keith

Hi Guys, yes I think you're right but I can't see the wheels which is a bit odd. At first glance it looks just like a fancy air intake...and I thought sacrilege! But there's a simpler explanation of course...

Paulo sorry for the thread "drift" and no, I don't think it is an original either looks just like the KVA front on my old car comparing photos, and I wonder how he managed to enter that car in such august (sorry, grand) company? (assuming they're all originals that is. of course, he might have pranged the original and put a KVA type front clip on, but you don't often see originals pitched against replicas)

Thank u all guys, I love such kinda infos from u, as usual.
I am very careful around this particular car cause anyway here is believed the ONLY original one and also to me this seems really not(consider here NO replica at all are around, just an unassembled gtd kit for sale at 100.ooo euros.....o_O...)

If u have any other thing to note on the picture above please do, and I hope to post as soon as I will meet this car some other picture to WELLKNOW what it really is.
Do not like people telling me false,and around this vehicle there is ALWAYS a mythical atmosphere due to the rarity of the gt40 to these latitudes.

Thank u all again

Paolo

As far as I know the event "100 ore di Modena " requires cars with FIA papers therefore it must be more or less 'original' - the car in the photo appears to have a Belgian number plate and possibly an English Road Tax disc ! Is it possibly the car mentioned elsewhere as being for sale in Europe : 1079 ?

I also noted the car as an old belgian road plate and not at all an italian one (the car is in Modena actually).
I really hope not this car is the kwa with bmw m1 gearshift I found sometimes ago as a fraud for sale even in Belgium(at the time they were asking for a Kva something as 200.000 euros..).
Just I remember that was the same blue, but from the picture didnt look so nice (also if the seller told me in PM he wanted to refurbish the car before sale).
Probably is not the same..but I guess....it is possible all from Belgium??

Ian, u right when u say this car is a pretty one, just I point here we dont have at all ANY gt40,excluding this one, and over our classic cars magazines that is named as the nicest italian ORIGINAL car.
I will not be surprised if some fool will ask a stratospheric price for such kva,also if from my infos that is not at all for sale(this vehicle is just running around since 6 months..not more)
My subscription to enthusiast club and my daily reading of this great forum made my knowledge about the 40 grows up a lot, and I wellknow wht to search and NOT to search here.
And the 40 is really better to found outside, believe me(wonder if I will be able to have here a Monocoque CAV here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif)

I am searching some other pictures of the chassis of this blue one, surely If u can see that u will recognize the car at once.

paolo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Poalo,

I'm sure we can find a way to put you in a CAV GT40:) Can you private email me with import regulations to the best of your knowledge.

Ciao

PS: How's the price of gas these days? This is Angelo gassing up his 1075 reproduction... 1.07litre premium

Attachments

• 72577-AngGas1.jpg
    72577-AngGas1.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 338
Paolo
A good giveaway is a look at the "A" pillars on the car, Original windscreens come right to the door edge, most , if not all the replicas I have seen have about a 5/8 to 3/4" strip between the windscreen and the door seam. Also I don't believe those are original headlamps...but it looks like a nice example.
Cheers
Phil

I will try to pic the car in one of the next classic events (as well as Targa Florio, coppa Intereuropa or Mille miglia).
This fake or whatever it is is SO beloved here u really cannot imagine.
I am just curious to see how they can make this one race in FIA races without an original vehicle, but will not be surprised if they have any special agreement to make poeple see this anyway nice car.
Also one of the official photographer of Mille Miglia race was very clear saying me "Paolo..if u ever will have a replica of the gt, just tell us and we will invite u everywhere".
So I am not surprised if this vehicle is claimed to be original being absolutely not (think I will have the final response if they will show the car with open bonnet,to see the chassis,cause if I am not wrong, Ford never did any tubolar spaceframe on his cars).
But dunno also if this can be an mk.5 safir.

Just be sure I will post more pics as soon as I will get some interesting ones.

Also I know the driver, Mr. Pietro Silva is a wellknown italian classic racer and often is seen driving too many different and valuable vehicles(surely not his ones),so this one can be probably a gift done to him.
Maybe with the belgian car plate we can see how is registered the car, that will also tell me more about it..

I am just too happy to see also here something is moving to my beloved 40,and the historic magazine with the nose of this car is completely sold out.
Means I am not the only fool down here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/loser1.gif

Just stay tuned..

Paolo

P.s. Any other easy tip to recognize at once an original car is always welcome, thx
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Back