Cool Cars at Barrett-Jackson

Of general interest, here are a few pictures of two cars that are going on the block Sunday at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale. Anyone with a discount coupon for 50% off any car should consider either of these candidates. The first car is of course, GT40P-1096. The history board notes that this car was originally white, then yellow, and now black.

Last edited:
If this was my car I would put on gold stripes and add GT40H to rocker panels. Then at car show I could meet lots of people who say “GT40H, oh yea I used to rent these from Hertz.”

Last edited:
This detail shows the mat finish BRM wheels with a pin to retain the spinner. (I would appreciate a reference as to where to get this type of spinner clip or other type of retainer spring if anyone has a good source.)

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Bob,
You only posted photos of the one car.
i take it that the one you posted, is a Saphir ?
The pin through the hub spindle, looks to me like a straightforward cotter pin.

The second car at Barrett-Jackson, for which I lust in my heart, is this Porsche 917. Everyone viewing this car remarked that it looks really small and the driver is very far forward in the cockpit.

Last edited:
This car was being promoted as a Porsche 917 reproduction and is like those used in the McQueen movie LeMans. I am not sure if the car is a reproduction of the movie car or a reproduction of a 917. Either way it sure looked nice.

Last edited:
Both of these go across the block Saturday night (Lot #1314 and #1328)...along with the star of the Auction...a 1970 Hemicuda convert lot # 1309 which will pull down millions.
And to think I passed on one for $ 10,000 because it was
twice the price of the hardtop !

MikeD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
That is an LMK 917 copy, look at the VIN on the history board. GTA and RCR do an even better copy of these now?

Can someone post prices when sold please.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Mike try not to reminisce about the past. You can't change it so why bother kicking yourself over it. I know I would have bought other cars that I passed on. As you believe the Hemi will bring millions what do you think the clones are worth? Thanks Gregg

I cant believe the Amphicar that went for $115,000 last night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandito.gif Then again I cant believe the prices on half the stuff that crosses the block,,LOL

Ron Earp

Admin
Dan, I'm with you, simply amazing. It is way crazy to me, particularily the muscle cars. While cool in their own right, you couldn't give them away 20 years ago. And, once the population that owns them, remembers them fondly, and pay big $$$ for them pass away, then I wonder if the prices are going to remain this high? I doubt it.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There used to be a US Amphicar club but the guy who ran it fell out of his car and drown!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
TRUE!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
Rick

Keith

Love the term "Re-Manufactured" though. Gives it a kind of, what's the word, "genuine", type of vibe? Clever.

A bit like "pre-owned" instead of "second-hand or used". I notice it's No.3. Were many of them produced by LMK?

Greg

I don't stress too much about the Hemi convertible....
since I never really liked the looks with the top up.
However I absolutely stress over the price the hardtops now
pull down. I owned several 1970 Hemi cudas over the years....selling my last one 1995 for $ 30k....it was re-sold last year for over $ 200k, and 1971 hardtops can go for twice that.

Hemi clones don't sell well on E-bay or at most Mopar shows.
Sellers seldom get much more out of them than they invested.
Barrett Jackson is an abberation since they seem to be able to find buyers willing to pay huge premiums to out-duel other buyers (I assume) to satisfy their ego.

I can understand super high end cars such as Hemis or Shelby
products pulling down large sums. However seeing a 1966 GTO or Olds 442 pull down $ 100k (or the Amphicar) is just appalling, unless you happen to be the seller.

Is there a ceiling to these prices? Will it ever end?
Of course it will...history proves that. But in the meantime it means most but the wealthiest are driven out of the musclecar hobby (unless you buy a clone).
And that's a real shame.

Will the LMK do well? If one person wants it badly, the answer is no. If TWO bidders want it badly.....

MikeD

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I can't belive it either! I'm going to have to raise my insurance on my 66gt350 to $130.000 and my 65 to $200.000 This take s the fun out of the hobbie! the risk are getting to high to drive it on the street.

Oliver the great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned.gif

Back