Nice detail pics of 1016, 1078, T70, Daytona Coupe etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks!! That blue car is BAD ASS!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss a thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks!! That blue car is BAD ASS!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss a thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on the link"Burgol Racing Team" at the top of the page.There are a few pictures of a blue MK1 with white stripes.

Richard,

any idea what that setup is good for?
I mean, e.g. while waiting on the starting grid with the engine idling, the battery could run seriously low or am I missing something here?

Regards,
Marcus

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Marcus

I saw a lot of Lolas running like this at 2004 Le Mans Classic and took a nimber of photos as I was intreagued.

I believe the way to look at it is that on these cars back in the 60's and 70's they did not have all the electronic gadgetry we have today. In reality how much current would be drawn over say 2 minutes of grid work after a warm up lap when the battery should have been fully recharged? (distributor sparks, perhaps a fuel pump - not much else)

I remember on the Formula V - we ran no generator and a car battery would start it up to 12 times and run the spark and brake lights all day!

It would also give better engine revs on take off as the engine would not have to drag the alternator up to 6000rpm in each gear.

Just my 2c but I was facinated too!

Ian

Keith

Excellent pics. I wonder why the MKII (1016) has non original brakes? Although Wilwood are often the brake upgrade of choice, would that necessarily be the best option for an original MKII?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ian: Thank you for this highly interesting first hand information.
Since I´m a guy not being particularly familiar with world of electric gizmos etc.
I´ve never been spending any serious thoughts on that...

Keith: I only remember Carroll Shelby saying in an interview that on the MK IIs the
brake problem had never been solved properly, although his technical wizard
Carroll Smith came up with some quite ingenious ideas.
According to Shelby the MK IIs needed "brakes made for locomotives"...

Marcus

Keith

Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply, it certainly makes sense. However, whilst not in any way knocking Wilwood products, if I was the lucky owner of such a piece of racing history, I believe that I would use at least a product more period correct or perhaps even more suited to the application. Wilwood is very cost effective solution for many kit builders, but is it the "correct" solution for a MKII? I have never used Wilwood products, being more familiar with AP Racing and Girling, but I am curious as to how Wilwood products fit in to this scenario...

Hi Keith,

I´m absolutely of your opinion, since these pieces of motorracing history most of the time are
not being driven in earnest anyway. (However, of course some splendid exceptions can be seen on various events like the last Le Mans Classic...)

Interestingly, just down my street there is a guy who used to race the former Bonnier-T 70 MK IIIb on the occasion of historic race meetings and he never ever would`ve swapped the old parts for modern ones.

Regards,
Marcus

Back