Moving a non rolling chassis

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a GTD chassis. It's fully panelled, has all the suspension, discs, calipers, shocks on it. It has Pin drives but no wheels. I'm intending to pick it up from about 100 miles away next weekend and while at the other end there is a fork lift truck to hoist it onto the trailer, when I get it home, there is nothing! I would think it's just too heavy/awkward to be lifted by hand (not sure if I could get enough bods anyway) can anyone suggest a way to get if off the trailer and onto a build trolley (which I have yet to build)
Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• 73890-GTD-1.jpg
    73890-GTD-1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 339
Hi Simon, I have used schedule 40 PVC tubing in 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameters to move heavy wood furniture . Placing it under the item in several spots , rolling till one comes out the back side then placing in front. Its amazing how easy it is to roll things. If you could borrow a engine hoist you could use it to lift the one end off the trailer and roll the trailer out from the frame in your shop, and then on your build stand. Maybe something that might work for you. Dan

Assuming you can't get wheels, you could likely do it with a roll-around engine crane. I have a fold-up engine crane that cost me $150 and I'm always using it to unload all manner of ungainly and/or heavy items from the family hauler. A decent one could lift the chassis with no problem. You'll need it come engine time anyway. If you don't want to invest in one I'm sure you could rent one for a few quid. Just think before you lift, don't do it alone, and BE CAREFUL!!

thanks guys,
I have a 1.5 tom engine crane, I guess i could use that to rig up some way of getting it off the trailer. Thanks, should have thought of that first!!

Simon

Malcolm

Supporter
Simon, are you aware that is not a standard rear GTD chassis layout? Rear suspension looks non GTD items too. All looks like it has been modified to lower the engine.

Simon, is there room on the main chassis rails for you to temporarily attach some Caster Wheels?? I unloaded my chassis from the back of a container truck (~ 5 feet above ground level) by using large "U-bolts" to go over the frame rails and thru the caster wheel plates. If this would work for you, then simply put them on before the fork lift puts the chassis on your trailer - - then take some LONG wooden ramps and you should be able to roll it out,

Attachments

• 73908-DSC00216.JPG
    73908-DSC00216.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 289
Hi Malcom,
Yes it's been lowered. When I was at Southern GT the other day, they said they had done it (I didn't buy it from them by the way). To my untrained eye it does look just like their rear frame.
I'm pretty sure the rest of the frame apart from the ally uprights, is all GTD (certainly looks like both my old cars).
By the way is this a record? this'll be my fourth GT40 replica!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hi Simon
Nice to see another build in motion, was this an unfinished project by someone ?
If you need any assistance I'm just the other side of the Dartford Crossing near Brands Hatch.
I will be getting 17" Halibrand style Knock on wheels soon from Frank Catt, hopefully these will be ok with the 335mm disks, 6 pot AP brakes. As yet I think Frank can't get 17" BRM'S but It may be worth asking him.
I have two build tables one higher for getting under the car in the early stages and a lower table as build progresses and you need to get to the top of the car, both are on h/duty casters so moving is easy. I will be about 5 weeks before I'm finished with the smaller but the higher one you can borrow if you want to.I can e mail the sizes if you want
Let me know
work e mail : [email protected]

Could you borrow a set of wheels for the weekend to move it?

Failing that, if you can lift each end a couple of inches, you might be able to use a pair of furniture dollies to move it. In the US, you can rent them from your local truck rental store.

Back