Which kit should I choose?

Hi!

I have almost had my heart set on a GT40 kit now! I've always, and I mean always, loved the GT! And now that I was begining to think about building a car of my own, from scratch, and using the 1976 Opel Kadett body (I have that car already, and I love that one too, but not in the same way as the GT40!) I came to think about building a kit car instead!

The question is, which kit should I choose? I have, dispite my young age of 20, a fair amount of hours in the garage! Since I was sixteen I'd say it's an awerage of 2-3 hours per week, so I think I can manage a kit that's abit more difficult! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And modifying the chassies or suspension to get "special" parts in is something I can do aswell!

Now, I live in Sweden so a kit from Europe would be nice, if the american kits aren't a whole lot cheaper ofcourse! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Becouse cost is something I'd like to keep down.. It won't be a replica either! It'll be a semirace car I think, modern seats, rollcage, 6-point seatbelts, probably a 351 Cleveland engine pushing somewhat 4-500BHP with fuel injection and so on! My goal is to outrun a specific 8.7 litre Hemi powered Pantera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But maybe not the first time out on tha track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The cheapest I have found (now I have only found 4 or was it 5 kit manufacure's total) was this one: http://www.tornadosportscars.com/

Does anyone know how the finish is in that one? And every thing else that can be good to know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I could very well pay more for better finish, question is what you recomend? I'm open for sugestions!

Hi Johan,

Have look around the forum and use the search feature - loads of info to be had. There is no best kit to be had really, as they all have their strengths and weakness's ,also price varies quite considerably depending on which way you go and what you want affects things aswell . I have a Tornado kit I built myself - see my build pictures in the builders section, I f I was going to do some serious track work I would change a few things but my car is mainly going to be a roadcar and I have built it accordingly. At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you.

I tried the search function, but as always I came up with almost nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm starting to think it's CBW! (Crap behind the wheel!) But I have looked around! And as you say, the price varies.. But I've come up with this:

Cooling system I can do myself, fuelsystem aswell, but the fuel tank would be nice to have with the kit. Braking I can fix to, The interior aswell, I think, except the dashboard! Electronics no problem! I'll just have to find suitable lights (any sugestions for the front ones? In the rear I had planned a little custom work so..) hmm.. Engine mounting shouldn't be a problem, not bolting on floor pans and such either! What I don't know if I can fix myself, is the driveshafts! Custom ones I guess should be used? Steering I think I can manage to get from other cars..

Lets see if I can sum this up, what I would need in the kit is: chassies with wishbones, wheelhubs, suspension would be a + (preferably some adjustable koni's or something like it) fueltank, dashboard, body, windows, front lights, gearbox and driveshaft, the gearbox should fit a SB Ford engine!

In other words, the basic kit from Tornado with only a couple of extras would be something for me, right? I haven't seen any other manufacturer selling a kit as "uncomplete" as the Tornado basic kit so.. But I'll try the search function once more and check out your thread in the builders section Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the mean time, is there anyone who seriously doubt that my "plan" can work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hello. Scince you are looking fore a basic kit and livein sweeden why not check out GOX40 made by GöranOlsson in sweeden he has an exelent entrykit that is very competitive in price. His facilities are in strömstad

Nic

Keith

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

My goal is to outrun a specific 8.7 litre Hemi powered Pantera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But maybe not the first time out on tha track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm open for sugestions!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd say you'll have to pedal a GT40 very hard indeed.

Hemi powered Pantera

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Since you're building a track car, and since you have significant fabrication skills already, I would recommend you look around for an inexpensive GTD project - maybe something that isn't finished or that needs some work. There are dozens of GTDs that are raced regularly in the UK, but I'm not aware of any Tornados that are regularly run on the track.

Nic: That sounds like a nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you have a website adress or something like that? That would be great!

Keith: Oh yeah! I'll probably need to upgrade basicly everything to even have a chance! Including engine power! But it's jsut one of the goals, if I can't keep up with him, so what? I'll most likely outrun the Ferraris and Porsches atleast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark: Yeah that sounds like a good idea! Should be fairly easy to find one at a reasonable price too! I'll have a look at the for sale sites when I get back home from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Love GT40! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, what is the difference between the GTD and the Tornado? Does anyone know that?

Johan

GTD and Tornado were both UK based companies selling
similar GT40 replicas. GTD has since closed...but MDA
a company by Mark Sibley (who worked for GTD)
sells an updated version of the GTD.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of unfinished GT40s
in the UK....but some are older versions (KVA) which would
likely require extensive upgrades.

Although they may not specfically advertise just
a body/chassis package, most manufacturers will
quote whatever scope of supply you have in mind.
So don't be afraid to ask.
Best of luck.

MikeD

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
There is an auction taking place next Sunday here in Melbourne Australia. It is a complete 1989 GTD40, you can view it here:
http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=PQC7A8EC0TAV1CHF
Sale price range is $60k to $72k AUD (43-52k US or 37-44 Euro) for a complete car.
Shipping a car to the states is about $3000 AUD, don't know what it would be for Sweden, but being conservative, you could have a complete car in Europe for under 45000 Euro.

Bill.

Attachments

• 74560-WEBA05EXYEM332C_medium[1].jpg
    74560-WEBA05EXYEM332C_medium[1].jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 310

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you are serious about a VERY quick roadrace car then I would suggest that you select a gearbox first based on your power requirements. If you are going to RACE a +500HP motor you better spend as much time as necessary on learning about all the gearbox issues as they relate to these cars. Once you commit to a gearbox it is very hard to switch to a different type later.

Then establish wtitch chassis it will work best with. After that the rest is a chassis development project.

Okay, thansk for the tip! I'll definatly look into it! As it is now, it seems lika a Porche gearbox is the one for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe an Audi 6 speed... What I'd like to have is a tiptronic, but I dont know if they came with only fwd and if they didn't then I don't know if the can be rebuilt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But I'll check into it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Welcome Cassius
your question which car? has been asked many times and has drawn critisizm as to why newbies don't use the search option. However searching doesn't always bring up the right answers and your enthusiasm for GT40s is highly apparent.I have been racing against Porsche and Ferrari etc for nearly 3 years now and I would recommend you take Howard's advice.For racing you need the motor and transaxle as low in the chassis as you can get it.Not all transaxles allow this while retaining sensible driveshaft angles.So which car is not really as important as which Transaxle.Forget Audi,you'll need a ZF, G50 or one thats going to be reliable with 500+ HP.A side benefit of having the motor low in the chassis is that it can go further forward, a real benefit for weight distribution F to R chassis balance.Take a look at the Pantera.Because the ZF is upside down the motor is really high in the chassis and a GT40 with lower COG will out handle it in corners.So whichever car you choose you need to select a transaxle add the motor to make it a unit and then fit it as low in the chassis as you can.
Ross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
This is my car at the fitting motor/transaxle stage ZF on the rear of windsor 302

Attachments

• 74774-gt407.jpg
    74774-gt407.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 346
Save yourself the hassles of custom this and that and look at the MDA product. The chassis is built for the RBT ZF (and G50 series this spring)- bolts in right where it should as per original, original ZF/302 bellhousing, the drivetrain sits very low in the chassis, the geometry is correct, the suspension setup is correct.

Worth a look- see thread Next Generation MDA MKI

Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Good comment Chris I sometimes forget others don't have similar skills to mine and that there are companies who can make things easier for you if you have the money.However I do try to give correct information to anyone who's intersted.

Regards Ross

Hi Ross - I certainly respect the guys like yourself that can make just about anything. Always good info from the one's who have been there, done that.

Cheers

Chris

Buying bolt on stuff always saves time! But I kinda got my heart set on the GOX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It looks very good and has by far the best price sofar!

The ZF gearbox, in which cars do I find that one?

I thought I'd run with a drysump to be able to mount the engine even lower aswell! I also got the feeling that the GT40 is a little bit of an oversteerer, correct? Either way I had planned to build a diffusor in the back, if it already has great steering I might even try to mount one in the front for extra downforce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back