Tornado Sports Cars

I spoke to Andy at Tornado this afternoon and nearly fell out of my chair when he told me that they have a two year waiting list at the moment. He did say that they could deliver the chassis in about 12 weeks but the body would be around 2 years. Is there really a waiting list that long, or are they having problems with the manufacture of the bodies? He just seems a crazy situation that they have got themselves into. When I bought my Dax Cobra kit 3 years ago there was a 6 month wait which was almost as long as they have had. But theres a BIG difference betwen 6 months and 2 years. Any thoughts please.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Lee,

Confucius said that it's better to travel in hope than to arrive!

He, he, he
Andre 40

Ikon car craft are another GT40 company and can turn a rolling body chassis out in 8-10 weeks.
they are contactable on [email protected]

there are some shots of the chassis and suspension on the manufacturers corner posted by chris melia

Thanks Guys

Where do I find a complete list of manufacturers in the UK? I take it thatb there are different levels of manufacturers for GT's as there is for Cobras. DAX GD being the more expensive with Pilgrim at the cheaper end of the market. I'm going to Stoneleigh in a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to meeting people at the GT40 owners Club and speaking to some manufacturers. Does anybody know which manufacturers will be attending?

Cheers
Lee

Lee, I hope you don't think one can whip up a complete GT40 body in one afternoon. It takes me working along, two to three weeks to make a GT40 body like the originals with all the brake ducts and inner panels. I don't use a chopper gun, so it's all done by hand. Some shops like RCR use a chopper gun and can crank out a GT40 body in a week. If I remember correctly, Fran said he can produce a chassis in seventy two hours. Amazing!

Hi Lee

Do not exclude the GTD even though GTD no longer exist as such. Roy Smart continues to produce the excellent proven GTD Chassis, including the various upgrades and Club Member Lee Dawson produces excellent Bodies, snorkels, Gurney Bubbles etc etc - He also has an original set of GTD moulds I believe.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again Guys for your comments. As you can proberly tell I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to GT40 replicas, so I'm trying to get my feet wet when finding information on manufacturers. I was in the same position approx 3 years ago with cobra replicas, but ask me know and I can tell you what ever you want. Going back to a previous post, are there big differences between manufacturers and the quality of the finish, and also look of the car? Believe me, there is when it comes cobra replicas, and sometimes you don't notice the difference untill both cars are next to each other.

Cheers
Lee

You could always look into getting a DRB GT40s Australia kit.
I think they have sent a few to the UK and USA. They
only have a 26 week wait. With the value of the UK pound
to Oz dollars it would also be very cheap.

hi - I went to see Tornado with £50,000+ to spend on a complete car and he wasn't interested ( in a very polite way). I was astonished to say the least. I told him I wasn't expecting a red carpet but a cup of coffee wouldn't have gone amiss - to which he smiled a did make me one. He explained it takes all his team too long to make a complete car and it is better business to make kits. Fair enough. It was a long drive back while I wondered why a car manufacturer can't make a damn good profit on that kind of money. I also went to see several used GT40's described as perfect. Now that is really frustrating - you drive three or four hours and within 30 seconds know that the car is a pile of pooh! Anyway - i am now on the RF waiting list. Why don't you talk to Rick Chattell - he is very well clued up on the subject. The waiting list has been over a year for us early buyers while the factory was set up in South Africa but i would guess now things are rolling the waiting list is much shorter. The price is also very good. Failing that there are some truly excellent GTD's about - its just a case of finding one. Good luck - I have found it very frustrating so far. My neighbour has a superb GTD - occasional rides in that keep me reminded it will be worth it in the end. The hardest part for me is not spending my savings on something else while i wait.

Hi Lee

We have body and chassis units ex stock,Give us a call on 0191 4926019 if you need any info.

Kind Regards

john

A1 Autocraft :

jpc_bate?

Any chance of PM'ing me with the location of the pooh cars. I think I can guess but it would save me a few hours driving on Saturday.

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ian

Thanks again guys for the info. I'm going to talk to as many people as I can at Stonleigh Kit Car Show.

Dear Lee

May I ask why you are not going for a CAV GT in component form? We have a distributor in the UK and would be happy to supply you with one of our new generation CAV GT's. Drop me an e-mail and I will make sure you get all the information you need. Our delivery times are also realistic and you will end up with a product you can be proud of.

Regards
John Spence
[email protected]

Hi JPC

I didn't recieve any private message from you. Can you try and send it again please.

Cheers
Lee

Back