CAV #56

I am finally driving the car again, upon completion of 5 pretty major mods and improvements. I installed a Tilton 3 master cylinder pedal setup w/ cable bias adjustment, shedding a vacuum pump and the booster/master cyl and cleaning up the front of the car, The pedal spacing is way better for heel and toe and the clutch pedal pressure is much lighter. Installed a thicker fire wall that I purchased from AutoFutura last year, added an Earls engine oil cooler and thermostat, swapped out the Facet fuel pumps for Carter rotarys. I purchased a set of lower rear control arms from Ian at CAV Canada, These are very nice pieces and allow much easier toe adjustment, The rear suspension is much smmother, I removed the spring spacers and that allowed the rear ride height to drop, properly centering the tires in the wheel openings, Ian supplies some spacers with the control arms that move the hub assembly back about 1/2 inch and that helps center the wheels also. Ride height is now 4 " fromt 4,5" rear, seems to be about right. I am running 0 toe, 1/2 degree camber in the front, 1/8 total in the rear with 1/4 camber. Car is very nuetral on the street and I will have it on the track in Pahrump(las Vegas) in early May and then at the Western States Cobra Bash in the middle of May. I have a spare set of BRM wheels that I got from Bob Lacy and I will have some Hoosiers and Performance Friction brake pads for those events.
I have already done quite a bit of other work to it and so far it just keeps getting better and better!
I wull update after Pahrump.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
No wonder you've been so quiet David, you've been a busy boy. Can't wait to see your work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif may join you in Pahump as a spectator.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
David-

Can you tell me more about your pedal modifications? As in who from and how much? PM me if you prefer....

Thanks,

Pat Buckley

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
David, it's been slow up 'til about 4 week ago when I got the motor finished. Now progress is stepped up and looking to have the car on the road late May.

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Yes we are, POCA Annual Fun Ralley in Vegas, are you going to be there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!! I will be there! Last year was the 1st time I missed it since like 1999.
I can't wait! I would very much like to check out your car!

Ron

David, what size front tires are you using on the BRMs? I, too, got a set from Bob and installed a set of hand cut GY slicks from Roger Kraus, but in the original Cobra sizes as I intended to use it on my SPF Cobra. I'm hoping they fit my CAV so I can use 1 set of racing tires/wheels for both cars.

Thanks

I don't have the track tires yet, current sizes are 235 60 15 and 295 50 15. Tim has Hoosiers on his Tornado, I think they are 235 50 15 and 275 50 15, I am getting a set of those. I don't want to run pure slicks, they are so soft that rocks get embedded into them and then come off the tire at high speed and beat up the wheel wells pretty bad. If I had a sponsor then it wouldn't matter but at the end of the day I want to able to hose it off and still look great cruisin' home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Chris Kouba

Supporter
David-

Please feel post a few pics as there are others (like me) who want to see what people are out there doing.

Chris

I will try and post some pics tonight, I have not been successful posting to this site, I am a better mechanic than computer geek, Many of my mods are my interpretation of ideas I have pirated from this site. Many people here have done marvelous things to these cars, for a 40 yr old design it is still receptive to improvement and modification, it is still the standard other race cars are held up to.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
David,

Try HERE for instructions which may be of some assistance for posting pics on here. Feel free to PM me if you run into any issues, I'd be happy to help.

Chris

Back