A Chat Feature

Ron Earp

Admin
Dear Forum Members,

we've got a chat server setup for the forum that we can use if we like. It isn't fancy, but, it seems to work fine from what I can tell although I've included some troubleshooting info below.

I doubt we'll have enough members online at one time to have chats going all the time. But, we might be able to schedule a weekly GT40s.com if folks are interested. I like chats as they have some advantages in that real time conversations can occur which might help greatly in information sharing. Suggestions?

Now, to use the chat feature all you need to do is make sure you are logged in, click on the Chat link in the tool bar, or, follow this link:

Once you do you should see an imagine like this. Simply wait, typically about 10-15 seconds or so, and then you'll be logged in and can start chatting away. YUsers on the system are shown on the right hand side of the screen. You don't need to click channels or change anything, these links will place you in the right room.

TROUBLESHOOTING
  • For the chat to work you must have Java enabled. Look under your tools section of your browser and make sure it is on.
  • If you are using IE (I use Firefox) then you might also need to look under security and adjust the settings to allow a chat program to work that uses Java.
  • If you have a firewall you'll need to make sure that it allows an interactive program like a chat to work. Al probably knows the real name for this and maybe he can chime in on tech assistance too.
  • Virus programs frequently interfere with chat programs, therefore, you'll need to set these appropriately.
Basically, the chat server works as it is an old one that has been around since the middle 90s. It is safe and robust, not a lot of frills. But if you try it and for some reason you can't get on it boils down to one of two things.
  • The chat server is down - very unlikely as it is a huge server and well tended to
  • You settings somewhere on your browser, firewall, or virus scanner aren't allowing it to function (I use Firefox, works great, but on another machine with IE it doesn't work and I haven't figured out how to make it work yet).
Here is the help text on the error that most folks will see:
---
This error is usually related to the java security issue and is because you used the unsigned jar &/or cab files to access a remote server.
It can also be because the user failed to say yes to the certificate when it popped up.
For more information about java security see:
http://www.pjirc.com/help.php?p=0&faq_id=9
Resolution:
There are four possible answers to resolve this.
-One: Very often the reason is that the ident server has been disabled. Either in the parameters, or by using the unsigned applet (ident will not work unless the applet is signed, no matter where it is hosted). Make sure you use the signed applet if ident is needed (ie:- Quakenet).
-Two: Read http://www.pjirc.com/help.php?p=0&faq_id=14
-Three: Edit your code to use the signed jar & /or cab files.
-Four: Ensure your users know to say yes to the certificate popup.

---
Due to the myriad of configurations on computers I doubt I can help much if you can't get it working but let's see if we can get it working together on this thread. There are a few computer savvy folks on the forum that could help out I'm sure.
So, any suggestions for making use of the feature? Time and date to try out the first one? If we have enough folks on at once I think people will like it.
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
If nobody is there it should show your name on the right hand side. Likely nobody there. What browser were you using?

Hi Ron,
Just checked it out. One person was on. I think this will be a good tool when used properly. It will sure speed up GT40 problem solving. I Love it.

--Mike

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ron Earp said:
If nobody is there it should show your name on the right hand side. Likely nobody there. What browser were you using?

I clicked on the chat icon on the tool bar and Java loaded. I just went in again and it showed guest followed by a number. no sign of my name though.

Btw a good idea.

I get a "unable to connect .com.ms security exeption ex " I am running XP pro. I enabled my java settings , dont know what else to try,, oh I also enabled chat in my Norton, so its not that . Hmmm any other ideas . Thanks, Dan

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Worked for me Ron,

Good feature but no-one else there yet. Could be a good feature I think...

Cheers, and thanks for the effort that you continually put into this excellent site

Last edited:

Keith

Still getting this message....

"Logging in...
Please wait while we process your connection.
-irc.impact-media.me.uk- *** Looking up your hostname...
-irc.impact-media.me.uk- *** Checking Ident
-irc.impact-media.me.uk- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-irc.impact-media.me.uk- *** Got Ident response
Error : Closing Link: 194.164.38.18 (Invalid username [Test_???])
Disconnected from irc.rizon.net "

:confused:

Hi Ron. I tried it and seemed to get on first time. I sent a hello message to anyone which appeared in the chat window, but no replies. My username was in the column on the right hand side, but no others. At the time, there were 25 other users online.
There were several warning messages on my PC during the login process, also a message saying that a site was trying an unauthorised access to my PC which had been blocked.
Later I noticed an icon saying popups were blocked from this site. When I temporarily allowed them, it tried to log on again but failed with the same message that KeithH reported.

Tested it out and it worked fine. Chatted with a member from Texas with no problems.

You may want to see if you can force them to be logged into this site prior to launching. Helps keep the trolls out.

Works Great!!

I could not get in with IE and didnt want to mess with it. With FireFox i got right in first try. Almost immediatly xlr8or poped in and we had a little chat to test things out. Very simple but worked great.

Thakns Ron, for setting this up.

Ron Earp

Admin
IE has some real problems with it, or so it seems.

David, the number of users online on the forum don't have anything to do with the chat, so if you see 25 on the forum that doesn't mean 25 will be in the chat.

When you try it make sure you wait and do nothing for 10-15 seconds or so. Even if it gives and error sometimes it still connects.

So far it seems to be working 100% of the time for Firefox users. Al, do you have any insight into it?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Connection refused

I tried to link in with IE and got the following message:

[22:12] Unable to connect : java.net.ConnectException : Connection refused

I went to the FAQ section and got the following explanation:

This particular message is telling you that the IRCD is refusing your connection, or else you are unable to connect to it.

Well, DUH!!!! I guess it must be the IE issue you mentioned.

Doug

Mine worked fine with IE. I have found with other Java based chat's that if you go out to www.sun.com and install the latest Jave Runtime Environment that it clears up most of the errors associated with IE and Java chat.

Hi Ron. I am on IE, after seemingly getting on at the first try, I've retried several times and get the following:-

Connecting...
Logging in...
Please wait while we process your connection.
-irc.xstaticsolutions.com- *** Looking up your hostname...
-irc.xstaticsolutions.com- *** Checking Ident
-irc.xstaticsolutions.com- *** Got Ident response
-irc.xstaticsolutions.com- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
Error : Closing Link: aaa.bb.xxx.yy (Invalid username [Test_???])
Disconnected from irc.rizon.net

(I changed the numeric id to aaa.bb etc just incase I'm giving away my PC id).

Yes, I know that the users online don't represent the chat room users, but I thought with 25 members logged on, some may be trying the new chat feature!!

Funny how my IE seemed to work the first time but not since?

No doubt it will sort out!

Who is the French sounding guy who's security ID I have to accept before the chat window pops up?

Dave Tickle

Bye the way - - - You may want to do something about the recent posting in "The Paddock" re money making scam.

Just tried again and I have noticed that IE opens a new window for the chat called GT40s.com chat powered by vbxirc. The bottom space on this IE window says "Applet Test_??? started" Inside this IE window, the chat window opens.
From my previous post, it says "Invalid username [Test_???]" So, is this Test_??? something to do with it?

Keith

After reading the help file more closely, and considering that connection seems different for each user I reckon it's a firewall thang. It's probably blocking a port that the chat host uses, so it's up to the individual user to make this port available if they wish.

Personally, I ain't gonna mess with it so I'll have to pass on this feature which is a shame...rockonsmile

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
At home on the Mac (OSX10.2) Via Safari i went straight in but then said the server was too busy and to try again later

I'll keep trying but at work our network did not like it at all

Ian

Back