Version Differences

I am thinking of building an ERA GT40. A number of years ago, I built an ERA 427 Cobra, and it warrants a repeat, but with a different car. I am not that familiar with the GT40s and would like to know the main differences between the versions. I see that home page for this site lists MK1, MK2, MK3, MK4, Gulf, J-car, etc. As ERA makes the MK1 and 2 and offers many options, such as widened fender flares, etc, I am curious as I would like the result to be close to original. For example, I like the MK2 hood vent vs the MK1, but feel the MK1 small block is the car for me. Before I mess this up....info please? TY.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi John,

I'm sure some members will help out but before we can we need to know what GT40 you wish to replicate. If you get a common GT40 book (check Amazon) you can get over views of all of those cars. And, if you search around on the forum you'll find pictures of all of them in the Gallery, or Member Rides (click on those in the menu above).

Once you know what car you like then you can set about to design the car. And, also bear in mind there are many cars out there on the market now that were not available when you built your ERA. They might warrant a look as many things are available now that were not available years ago.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I do have a book.....Brooklands Ford GT40 Gold Portfolio, but it is mostly reprints of old magazine articles and doesn't compare the versions. You are correct...Since I researched the Cobra in the early 90's, I havn't paid a lot of attention to the Kit Car market, but I have visited ERA in Conneticut several times over the past year and am impressed with the ERA car. I do like the MK1, and feel a small block would be good. Those FEs are high maintenance engines. I do have enough parts to build a 428 (nice torquey one for the street) but I would prefer a higher revving small block (289/305). Besides, if I go ERA, they don't have every last detail with the FE version (MK2) down, but they have the MK1 down pat. I guess the best thing is to ask specific questions here as I get along with my research. Thanks again.

:drive

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, those books have a lot of good color photos and info on differences.

One thing that will help you straightaway to realize - the GT40s were race cars, built by different shops, and run by different teams. They were all constantly changing and in development. So about the best you can do is pick a car and replicate it "in the moment" since the next photo of it, or a car like it, might have vastly different hardware.

On a larger scheme if you are interested in downright replication then the choice of a small block will leave you with MKI cars and MKIII cars cars to choose from since they used small blocks of various displacement. If you are concerned about the accuracy of your replica with respect to "exact" chassis design and then about the only choice you'll have is the new Superformance car, that is the only one on the market with a chassis that close to original and a steel roof per original. Otherwise, you are wide open with tube frame cars, aluminum/stainless steel/steel monocoques, and can get more variety in your choice.

And don't forget the ever important transaxle - it drives a lot of the design since it must work with your engine choice. Use the search engine and ask questions, you'll be educated in no time!!!

Best,
Ron

If you want the small block the MkI is your choice. Search the books and see which one you like. the MKIII only a few originals were done and I have not seen a clone yet. Their tail was longer, 2 headlights and side windows. It was the only street car. The Gulf cars with the big fenders and a different front hood are the last MKI. The gearbox are available.

I have owned 4 ERA cars (2 cobras and 2 GT) and own a Cobra and GT. Superformance the last time I check only make the MKII and I try to check their website and did not responded to check it out. The are in South Africa so do not plan to take a weekend drive to check your car.

You have more options now and it all depends on your pocket and what you want. ERA has more repeat customers that other manufacturers. Maybe is because they have been in business longer and provide a good service.

Back