How much did the RF40 cost?

I have seen a lot of RF40 activity lately and since I am new to the forum I was not around when they were still in business. So my question to the more knowlegeble is how were they priced? How much was a turn key minus, etc.? With so few manufacturers in the GT40 business is there a hierarchy? There certainately is on the cobra side. How would you rate the 40's available to a guy in the states?

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dean,

In my opinion Roaring Forties, in a former business life with a former owner, offered a fabulous car. I thought enough of the quality and was sufficiently impressed with their reputation that my wife and I assumed the risk and placed a deposit with an overseas company. Unfortunately for probably 30 of us, it didn't pan out as the company went bankrupt -- and only weeks after cashing my check. I ordered a turnkey minus from RF last winter and I still believe it's a value. There is an unfinished kit available from another forum member as I write this and, if you have the wherewithal to make it happen financially, I am certain you'll be happy with the end product. It truly is a great package.

The turnkey minus package I ordered from RF, if memory serves, came in right about $52K US. After it arrived, all I needed to do was drop in an engine and tranny and >poof< just like that I was on the road.

Now for some of my reasons for initially selecting RF.

The single most important reason, and it was the deciding factor, is the fact that the RF was a tube-frame car. Before placing my order, I had done a little investigation of both ERA and Race Car Replicas (RCR) as well. ERA had a two year wait at the time; for me that was out. The fact that at that particular time RCR didn't have a long track record didn't put me off, nor did the fact that not one RCR kit had been finished and was on the road. What DID make the difference for ME at THAT time was that the RCR chassis is a monocoque and, if the worst-case nightmare did actually happen, I don't have the skills to repair that chassis. A tube frame chassis I can repair with my eyes closed - and I'll bet you can too. Like the rest of us though, you'll keep your pride n joy insured so repairing the car in your own garage probably isn't in the picture. The ease of reparability however is something to consider. The mono chassis is more true to the original however, so if that’s important then your choices are fewer.

There are but three North American companies out there right now who can fill provide you with a turnkey minus car – RCR, ERA and Turn Ten Racing, though there are others (other forum members will with good fortune continue the list!) around the world who put out a great product. Each one offers a slightly different package and I’m sure you’re ready to take the time needed to carefully compare before you’re ready to place the order.

Now for the biased side of my note so please take it for what it’s worth. I have one of the RCR cars in my garage. It isn’t a turnkey but could’ve been. Based on my conversations with Fran Hall at RCR, and a visit to their trusted outside finishing group (located in Flint, MI and with whom I spent several hours when back there last May), I’d guess that you’d be looking at $54K to $60K for the car, finished though without drivetrain. I had the opportunity to carefully look over two of their projects and they are top flight with no disappointments whatsoever – and I’m picky. In the end, I opted to trust Fran with my order because I was impressed his direct answers to some direct questions and very, VERY impressed with his product when I had the opportunity to view it firsthand.

In closing, (1) spend some time using the ‘search’ tool on the forum and you’ll find more information than you expect. Then, (2) pay a personal visit to the manufacturer who you believe will best be able to make your dream come true and finally (3) take all precautions to protect your investment. When it comes right down to it, business IS business.

You’ve found a great place to search former discussions and, if necessary, ask questions and discover new details about the GT. After searching the archives, don’t be shy about asking… because there are probably a dozen guys who’ve traveled down the same path you’re on!

Wishing you every success in your quest,

T.

The last deluxe kits sold in the US were $46,000 .The cars came from Australia. This does not include shipping or other options.With shipping and a few minor options you had a little over 50 into it. Start adding the motec and so on and you could spend close to 60. No South African cars were ever delivered ,kits, rollers or turnkeys to the US .Two made it out of the factory to the UK.

Last edited:
Back