wide body

well..it is since a long time I would like to ask u all this:

I noted many historical gt40 mk.1 have a "slimmer" rear part that many many other cars(includng all the replicas)doesnt have.
When do they changed the back of the gt40 into the sexy badass one we all love today?...and why?Was just for bigger rear tyres used in competitions?
Also I noted almost all my fujimi kits(all referred to historical originals) have the tail section much more slimmer than (for example) Clarksson Video original gt40.

Does anybody know something more about this?..or its just my illusion and they dont have any different bodies in mk1s?

Paolo

Last edited:
those are the slim body I mean:

Attachments

• 8CarColourShot.jpg
    8CarColourShot.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 1001Colour.jpg
    1001Colour.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,352
  • 1040-01.jpg
    1040-01.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,390

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Hips. Now THERE's a thread. :)

Actually, Paolo, RCR offers the wide bodywork I believe you are referring to; I'm pretty sure Bill D would likely confirm that for us.

Thinking back, I seem to recall the better part of a conversation quite a few years ago with Tom Armstrong, owner of 1033. When discussing this n that about the car, somehow the topic of bodywork came up. Tom commented that he'd recently had to replace a few panels on his GT and -this point I found very interesting- during the panel process he'd learned that the rear clip came in three different sizes.

I would imagine that 'production' cars in those days were required to have full body work and, as you mentioned, competition tires were just getting wider and wider, so right along came that 'broader' rear clip. I wonder how much of a factor the wind tunnel was...

Best,

T.

Keith

Ciao Paulo!

It is mainly the Gulf models (widely replicated) that are famous for the bigger hips (arches). Not everyone agrees with this "look" today, although obviously those who wish to replicate the winning-est GT40 MK I's ever will want to include this feature for authenticity's sake. :)

Initially (1964), the GT40 had 8" Borrani wire wheels in the rear. In 1965, when Shelby took over the racing effort from FAV, the Borranis were replaced with Halibrand magnesium wheels. By 1966, rear wheel width had grown to 9-1/2" (Halibrand) and 10" (the "BRM" wheel), as my GT40 #P1040 used at Le Mans that year. When Gulf began sponsoring the GT40s in 1968, rear wheel widths increased again to 12" and even 14" for some events. The expanding width of the rear wheels over the 6 years that the GT40s were intensively raced (from 8" Borranis in 1964 to 14" BRMs in 1968/69) was the driver of the expanding width of the rear "hips."

Paolo
Is this the width you were speaking about?
Ciao
Phil

Attachments

• December 23 2005 019.jpg
    December 23 2005 019.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Yes, thats exactly what I meant.
Don gave me the answer..now I know there are wide bodies..and now I would like to create something similar for my model kits in 1/24 scale (maybe a transkit for fujimi kits...just for the rear part if the main difference is only there).
They all are slim ones...and I love big asses as Bill D ones.

Does anybody know where I can found some drawings or measures to look exactly at the increasing of this area?
Will try to make in scale the same work done on real cars:)

Thnks
Paolo

Attachments

• DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,034
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:
I believe I saw that Superformance will be offering bodies with three different rear fender widths and rear wheels to match. Can't seem to find the link now, but I want to say the wide one has 12's in the back. That seems to fit with the history.

Me, I gotta have the wide ones.

Had the choice and chose against...... My own feeling was the proportions were a bit extreme.
Horses for courses I guess...

Paolo: Check your kit #19 yellow Daytona. It is a MKII but it has flares that add to the back and should fit MKI. Also in kit #20 Blue Daytona. You look like you are using #12132. Try #12130 or 31, these are the Gulf cars and are wider already.

Last edited:
uuuuu...u right at all:|

Opening the shop today..I run to my showcase to see immediately this..and U are right.
I've bought from fujimi nearly all gt40s and 917 available (including pe parts) and OBVIOUSLY the gulf one is in the center of external showcase.

U are definitely right..that has the wide body other kits doesnt have:D (I was already starting to take pictures and some Milliput to rebuild that part...)

Now I have to start assembly my own one:)

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 895
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 933
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 3,215
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 998
Here is ERA GT 2075 at Lime Rock in Sept 06. The black GT is the ERA Spider which was finished early this year.

ERA makes the MK-I with both rears and also have the MK-II rear. They are working on the correct 4 speed gearbox for the MK-II

The BRM style wheels are 17" to make space for bigger brakes.

Also a picture of ERA Cobra and the real 3252 Cobra. Do you know which is the real car. I think this picture was also taken at lime rock some time ago.

Attachments

• era2075limerock.jpg
    era2075limerock.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,735
  • ERA3252 clone.jpg
    ERA3252 clone.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 877

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Don is exactly right on how the rear sections of the cars evolved. The power went up as the engines were developed, and wider tires were needed for that as well.

The molds used to make the body sections for my car were part of the tooling that Safir GT40 bought from JW Automotive when they began building the Mark V cars. Most Mark Vs have the narrow rear body section that was characteristic of the first cars, the ones with the Borrani wheels. I chose to go with that type as being most representative of the early cars, which I liked the best. Besides, I'm 'only' running 360hp, so I don't 'need' the wider tires...

jmvelez said:
Here is ERA GT 2075 at Lime Rock in Sept 06. The black GT is the ERA Spider which was finished early this year.

ERA makes the MK-I with both rears and also have the MK-II rear. They are working on the correct 4 speed gearbox for the MK-II

The BRM style wheels are 17" to make space for bigger brakes.

Would someone be kind enough to tell us the wheel widths, offsets and tire specs on the Gulf colored ERA GT...it looks very nice.
-Scott

Back