MDA Forum / GT40s.com Build Forum

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi MDA Owners and Forum Members,

Someone sent me a link to this thread over on the MDA forum:

http://www.mdagt40.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98&highlight=gt40s+com

And I just want to correct something said there that is inaccurate and might reflect poorly on this forum.

It is stated in that thread "Ron apperantly said he won't let builders post anymore unless there is a specific forum that MDA would pay for - and he did but there isn't a hole lot more I can do"

This is incorrect and might be due to miscommunication between MDA, me, or various people. Anyhow, MDA has a forum open here on www.gt40s.com as basically the forum is very inexpensive in comparison to the banner ads. Since MDA were already purchasing a banner advertisement it is little additional money to have the forum so they agreed it was a good idea. Same reason Superformance has one here, once you have the banner advertisement it is little additional money. I have not, nor will I ever, "not allow posting" or delete posts from the forum (1).

When this MDA specific forum opened many of the owners of MDA build threads asked for the threads to be transferred down here to this area. However, the Builder's Forum for all makes and models is the most trafficked forum on GT40s.com besides the All GT40s forum. If you want people to take a look at the cars this is the place that it can happen with frequent updates to build threads and an active group of folks offering suggestions and taking a peek at your handy work.

Regardless of if MDA has a forum here or not, builders can always post their builds in the Builder's Forum and this is where I feel all of them should be located. GT40 Australia, RF, ERA, Southern GT, and others have build threads of cars there and don't have specific sponsored forums on GT40s.com. So, if you have a MDA, or any car, post build threads and let us see what you are doing - the best place to put them is in the Builder's Forum.

Hope this clears up a possible misunderstanding. One member expressed his concern that GT40s.com was unfriendly toward him and I would certainly hope that this isn't the case or anyone feels that way toward another due to type of car they are building or that own.

Best Regards,
Ron

(1) I did delete a post earlier in the year that was a personal attack from one member to another that was far too personal to remain in the open. It actually isn't deleted, but in a holding tank should it be needed for litigation. I also delete spam posts as soon as I find them. As for not allowing posting, we don't allow non supporters to sell cars here on the Cars Forsale because GT40s.com is a service for some of the one time members who want to sell a car. It isn't fair for those people to get a captive audience of GT40 nuts and not throw $25 into the pot to keep the site going. IMHO.

Hi Ron,

At the time I was under the impression that specific information relating to the MDA product couldn't be posted such as pricing updates, mod's, new products etc other than within a separate MDA forum, paid for by MDA. I don't think that there was any deliberate intentions to give GT40's.com the wrong impression, just conversation amongst other MDA owners about the subject but I do see your point. Also, some MDA owners were upset because they thought that the forum they have been using was going to be transfered to GT40's.com.

I didn't think MDA were represented well enough in the GT40 community and wanted to give MDA more exposure. I asked owners to participate here on GT40's.com to showcase their builds, which wasn't easy for some but they have and I thank them for that and hope they have added to the excellence of this forum as well.

Thanks for the clarification, I will take appropriate action so not to misinform anyone else.

Chris

Ron Earp

Admin
ChrisMartino said:
Hi Ron,

At the time I was under the impression that specific information relating to the MDA product couldn't be posted such as pricing updates, mod's, new products etc other than within a separate MDA forum, paid for by MDA.
Hi Chris,

Sorry if you got that impression from me or others, but that definitely isn't the case. Something probably got messed up in translation and writing emails. There is a Manufactuer Announcement forum here that is absolutely perfect for that and does not require anyone to be a supporter or anything like that. New products, pricing, etc. can be put there.

You guys can use the MDA forum in any way you see fit, but have I watched and observed and think the most effective way is for the builds to go into the Builder's Forum, and the questions specific to a marquee go into the marquee specific forum. That works well for RF, CAV, RCR, etc.

However, MDA also has a complete website/forum (MDA GT40 :: Index) devoted to MDA so that means the traffic here on the GT40s.com MDA Forum is extremely low. However, the traffic on the MDA specific website/forum is low too, with a lot of empty forums. Essentially only owners post there without much outside exposure for MDA. I registered today and think I am the 58th registered user there since April 2005.

Anyhow, I'm hope that MDA owners will post a lot of build threads and use the resources here as much as possible.

Best,
Ron

Thanks Ron,

I agree with you, we can definately do better so I will have a think to how best utilize this forum and provide as much information about MDA as possible.

Quick note: The MDA forum does welcome anyone but because it is specific to the MDA product we don't see the traffic that GT40's.com has. Not every builder is interested in posting their car's progress - I can't make them post but the topics are in place for anyone wanting to.

Those who do use it have done a fantastic job as the details of the build progress are some of the best I've seen - more should see the efforts for sure.

I'll be in touch!

Chris

Chris,

I noticed that it appears the MDA forum no longer allows anonymous visitors.
Was that an accidental change due to a software upgrade, or intentional?
If intentional, I would recommend changing your stance. Potential customers
might like to see the content on your forum, especially builds and technical
details, and forcing them to register might turn them off. Keeping anonymous
visitors from posting I can understand, but keeping them from viewing seems
a bit counterproductive.

Of course, this is just a suggestion. It's your forum to do with as you see fit.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Ian,

I found the same thing, I can only view forums/topics when I am logged in. If I am not logged in I can only see the New Members forum.

Ron

Guys,

The MDA forum has been experiencing some type of hacking into as it's been hit with another round of "new members" that link to 'blogs' of all sorts, which becomes a daily morning deletion ritual. I am experimenting with methods to see if I can stop it so bare with me while I try a few things, including the registering. MDA members have also informed me about it - I new the timing would give people the wrong impression but it really needs to be fixed ASAP. It will go back to the way it was so don't take offence.

I ask that people participate on the MDA forum so if you have any questions or comments, don't be shy to post as we're a decent bunch and the builds so far have some of the best documented I've seen (especially Alastair's build - the detail is outstanding!).

Chris

ChrisMartino said:
Guys,

The MDA forum has been experiencing some type of hacking into as it's been hit with another round of "new members" that link to 'blogs' of all sorts, which becomes a daily morning deletion ritual. I am experimenting with methods to see if I can stop it so bare with me while I try a few things, including the registering. MDA members have also informed me about it - I new the timing would give people the wrong impression but it really needs to be fixed ASAP. It will go back to the way it was so don't take offence.

I ask that people participate on the MDA forum so if you have any questions or comments, don't be shy to post as we're a decent bunch and the builds so far have some of the best documented I've seen (especially Alastair's build - the detail is outstanding!).

Chris

Ah, I see. OK, nevermind then. I understand your plight :)

I agree about the build threads on the forum - very informative and detailed.
I like to peruse it every so often to see how things are going.

Of course, my next project is finishing unpacking and cleaning out the garage
so I can actually park something in it :)

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
ChrisMartino said:
Guys,

The MDA forum has been experiencing some type of hacking into as it's been hit with another round of "new members" that link to 'blogs' of all sorts, which becomes a daily morning deletion ritual. I am experimenting

Join the crowd - it happens here about 2-3 times a week. Most users don't ever see it because Paul is up early and gets them, then Al and I delete them as well. There is no magic answer. Bots can now register and some can defeat the visual checks to registration as well.

About the best you can do is remain on top of it because every forum software has this sort of thing happen.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
When I mean 2-3 times a week, what I mean is that it'll be two or three incidences, but each time it might be 5-20 posts, depending on how fast we catch them. Sometimes it is a few times a day, then nothing for a week, then all of a sudden it is all over the forum again.

Ron

Back