NYS registration ?

Hello all,

I just returned from a trip to Ohio where I had the opportunity to test drive the Superformance gt40 .The folks at Dynamic Motorsport were super.The car is everything I expected. They had 3 mark IIs including the demo (platinum) and an exact replica of the '66 LeMans winner .

I want to pull the trigger on the purchase,but after reading some of the horror stories regarding NY ,I'm not sure it can be accomplished.I want to do it the correct and legal way.

Some of the things I've heard that are required are side marker lights (yuck!!!),safety glass-I know I could remove the side lexan windows for inspection,but the rear looks like it has to safety glass.The SPF's rear window is lexan,4 way flashers, amber lenses (not bulbs)etc.

Has anyone recently titled and registered a gt40 in NYS? Thanks! Eric Johnson

Hi All,

I have an SPF gt40 on order, to be registered in NYS, so I am wondering about the same things. Bill from Snakepit Auto did mention there would be a cple things to be careful about b/c of the NYS registration, I guess these would be the items Eric mentioned in his post above.
Does anybody have some experience or advice to share?
Thanks a lot
Laurent

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Laurent, as you are spending enough money on the car, I would hope that Bill Ostrower would register the car for you. Eric, as you have not placed your order yet, I would make that part of my contract. My two cents.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Eric/Laurent.....Rear (clamshell) is GLASS on the SPF as well as the firewall bulkhead light (glass) Don't think you will have problem w/ door plexi...Steve P2125

Greg,

I'm going to go with Dynamic out of Ohio.I did not get a good vibe from Snakepit.When I called He Himmed and Hawed about a test drive.He said "well if we do take it out it will just be around the block".Did not seem to have the car sorted out when I saw it at Carlisle.He mentioned taking the car to this years Barrett Jackson so he didn't want to put alot of miles on the car.Hello? It's a test car!!!!!!!!

Dynamic was the best.Got a significant test drive and a professional salesperson. Adjacent to their building is a speedshop that will do a professional fitting and sorting out of the driveline.Has chassis dyno,etc

I would have loved to go with a dealer in NY, but didn't feel good about it.

Eric Johnson
Clinton Corners,NY

Steve,

Thanks.I'm glad I won't have to worry about that .I'm hoping I can use a Roush crate motor (dart based).I think as long as I can get it on the invoice that it is "A replacement engine for a 1966 gt40 replica", or similar it will be good enough.

Regards,
Eric Johnson

Laurent,
Either that or get a reconditioned '69 351w block rebuilt engine.NY has some pain in the a@@ requirements to title the car as a "custom or unique vehicle".The car cannot be titled and registered as 66 car.It will go through as a 200x depending on when it is VINed and titled--that's after the 4 step process.Please see cobracountry.com forum: gt40 talk for more info. Eric

Laurent,

Sorry.The website is clubcobra.com Not cobracountry.com.

Look at the "gt40 talk" forum for a couple of threads I started.

Eric

Thanks Eric,
I found the threads in question on clubcobra.com (I think that's what you meant instead of cobracountry). I'll read through the discussions there. I ordered the info package from the DMV yesterday to get started with registration issues.
Laurent

Laurent,

Good job.I'm sure we'll be comparing notes along the way.It is some work but not impossible!The main thing they want is the sales tax apparently.

Eric

1. REad all the pages in this thread:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68752&page=3

It's about what I went through to get my Cobra properly registered with NYDMV.

2. read this: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/homemade.htm
and print this: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529.pdf

3. Note that you will be dealing with 2 separate departments in the DMV. The Field Investigations Office (for assignment of VIN and necessary examination), and the Technical Services Bureau, that will determine if the car is OK to be registered after compliance with NY Highway laws. These 2 offices don't necessarily talk to each other. The Tech Services people are nice and very helpful ("Services"). The Field Investigations people are like cops ("Investigations"):)

4. Be careful what you ask be put in your invoice. Less is better. They're looking for the $ you paid or taxes if any, paid. They'll base your tax liability at time of registration on the total $ paid. Send copies of all receipts, Bill of Sales, and MSO with forms and backup papers below.
When you get to the engine section of the form, then that's where you put: "1966 Ford replacement motor". If Roush can put "replacement motor for 1966 Ford" on their invoice, that would be MINT! Then fill in the blanks (1966 under year) and same serial number as on invoice for motor. No more, no less, so your car will only be required to meet emissions standards for that year. Print out the spec sheet page from Ford Racing Parts website for your base motor, (the Roush would be the SB crate 351) and append the sheets when you send in the form. Do the same for available tech sheets for the transaxle.

5. The form that you get with the application kit will ask for the DOT/SAE numbers for equipment on the car. Note where it asks for DOT#and AS rating on the glass, put N/A on side windows. On lights, also pit N/A on sidemarkers. On Emissions control Devices, just check PCV, leave others blank. Check everything in Brakes and Other Equipment, including padded dash and visors. You're only required padding if you HAVE visors. The GT40 does not. The SPF has hazard lighting and reverse lights, I think, otherwise, you'll need to have these installed. Get an invoice from installing facility describing this installation or an affidavit if you did it yourself and include in backup papers.

6. You'll need 4 pics of the car: front, rear, and both sides. This is VERY important to get right. They look for certain details.

7. You need to get the car weighed at an official NYS weighing station where you'll get a weight certificate.

At the same time, you'll be sending the application for VIN assignment Form 272-1 that came with the kit to the Field Investigations Office, who will then send you back an appointment letter for the examination facility nearest you. Trailer the car to the facility and give them the appointment letter ONLY, but have the original Bill of Sale for the Roller, motor and transaxle AND the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) with you to present if asked for it. When they assign the VIN, either you'll get an approved copy of the form 272-1 or they'll tell you they're faxing a copy direct to Tech Services. Send this copy, or a note signifying that a copy has been sent to them, with all the other forms (see 5-7 above) to Tech Services. When they OK the car, you will get a form VS103 and a copy of 272-1 which are the 2 necessary papers you'll need along with insurance card, inspection (safety) receipt, Bill of Sales, and MV registration application forms to get your plates and title/registration card.

If this is still daunting to you, EM me and I can probably help further.:pepper:

Please note the above procedure tips are based on my personal experience and may or may not be necessarily correct so don't quote me or hold me responsible...:p:

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
JCoop said:
4. Be careful what you ask be put in your invoice. Less is better. They're looking for the $ you paid or taxes if any, paid. They'll base your tax liability at time of registration on the total $ paid. Send copies of all receipts, Bill of Sales, and MSO with forms and backup papers below.
When you get to the engine section of the form, then that's where you put: "1966 Ford replacement motor". If Roush can put "replacement motor for 1966 Ford" on their invoice, that would be MINT! Then fill in the blanks (1966 under year) and same serial number as on invoice for motor. No more, no less, so your car will only be required to meet emissions standards for that year. Print out the spec sheet page from Ford Racing Parts website for your base motor, (the Roush would be the SB crate 351) and append the sheets when you send in the form. Do the same for available tech sheets for the transaxle.

And just a side note for our outside US readership that might not be familiar with our registration - this is in no way done to create a 1966 GT40 with intent to fraud.

This is done purely for bureaucratic reasons here. If the car is titled as a certain year then it gets to skip a lot of pesky emissions requirements and other regulations. These have nothing to do with the safety of the car but would definitely affect how the car could be built as a GT40.

I liked Gregg's idea of putting registration in the contract with a title that can be signed over. I think if I were going the SPF route I'd do the same, particularily if I were taking delivery of a driving car with engine/gearbox from the SPF dealer. Otherwise you are having to go through all the component car (kit car) registration processes which in some states can be a huge hassle described below.

Thanks for the clarification, Ron. No fraud here.

Actually, and looking at the semantics of the phrase, it would mean that the motor is a replacement motor that could be installed in a '66 Ford, not that it's a '66 motor.:D

The car would be registered and titled probably as a "2007 Custom" but the bar code that is read at the time of the annual NYS inspection would signify and thus revert their computers to '80 or earlier emissions standards. Anyway, that's how it was explained to me.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron Earp said:
I liked Gregg's idea of putting registration in the contract with a title that can be signed over. I think if I were going the SPF route I'd do the same, particularily if I were taking delivery of a driving car with engine/gearbox from the SPF dealer.

Ah, but Ron they can't do that. For them to sell and deliver a complete, driving turn key car violates the "component vehicle" clause that lets these cars be sold here withouit meeting currnt EPA/DOT regs. Perhaps am escrow situation where the balance of the money changes hands upon sucessful registration might work but as the completion of the vehicle and registration is dependant upon the buyer, not the seller, I wouldn't be keen upon that if I was the dealer.
Rick

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark IV said:
Ah, but Ron they can't do that. For them to sell and deliver a complete, driving turn key car violates the "component vehicle" clause that lets these cars be sold here withouit meeting currnt EPA/DOT regs.
Rick
I am aware and it is too bad that a dealer hasn't solved that problem in a creative fashion. One that does will be golden. A straw purchaser at the dealer that handles getting a title in their name and then signing it over to the buyer comes to mind.

The registration process varies greatly from state to state. NY sounds rather difficult, NC is not as hard but not simple, but some states are flat out easy with a get getting a title with bill of sale and the owner saying what year the car resembles.

It is really too bad that there cannot be a nationwide law to cover self-assembled cars. The rodders need it, if they can ever admit to themselves that yes, they are indeed building and registering self assembled cars. They like to pretend their 32 Ford with a Chevy 350, glass or steel body made last year, custom frame, etc. is original though and not a "kit car". They like "custom car" instead.

Just like SPF, ERA, RCR, RF, etc. etc. with Cobras and GT40s - regardless of if they are turnkey minus cars from said companies or a box of bits, they get titled through the same procedure, although that procedure is not the same across the US.

Maybe we could start a movement....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron Earp said:
A straw purchaser at the dealer that handles getting a title in their name and then signing it over to the buyer comes to mind.

Yes Ron, that could work, but it would double the sales taxes in most states where each transaction is taxed (you weren't gonna stiff the state now, were you? ;)

NY really isn't that hard...they are really looking for 1) Taxes, 2) Stolen stuff and vehicle safety comes in third, while taxes follow up in the next seven spots.

Yes there is a certain "leap of faith" required to purchase a component car (esp. in CA!!!) but most dealers have been around a while and are helpful and honest. The guys who rep CAV, RCR, SPF, etc. have experience and reputations to protect so they are not likely to stiff someone as they have more business down the road to look at.

Rick

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark IV said:
Yes Ron, that could work, but it would double the sales taxes in most states where each transaction is taxed (you weren't gonna stiff the state now, were you? ;)

Ow. Didn't think of that. Suppose the straw man needs to sell the car for a buck, plus whatever taxes he had to pay.

CA is rough with the limited SB100s available. There should be a nationwide system to do this instead of the patchwork of laws we do have. Why should one fellow in Phoenix have an easy time while his neighbor a couple hours away in the People's Republic of CA have a hard time?

R

Back