GT40 versus Bugatti Veyron

Everything depends on the engine gearbox combo of course, but no matter what, I guess it would be pretty difficult to compete with a 1000bhp, 4 turbocharged, 4 wheel drive car.

Tizzy,

Welcome to the forum.

Horsepower to weight, and the ability to transfer the energy into motion.

Although the GT40 does a very fine job of it, modern technology is what it is. The performance of the Veyron is outstanding.

However, if you had a GT40 and parked it next to a Veyron, 98% of the people would not know what either car was, and the majority of the people would be attracted to the color of the car.

So when you get your GT40, make sure you get the correct color, and
never park it next to a Veyron.......and you will have a winner every time!

Thank you very much indeed for these replies. I shall certainly endeavour not to park my GT40 (should I ever get one) next to the Veyron:) In fact I've never seen the GT40 in the "flesh" but did encounter a Veyron in Salzburg last year.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much indeed for these replies. I shall certainly endeavour not to park my GT40 (should I ever get one) next to the Veyron:) In fact I've never seen the GT40 in the "flesh" but did encounter a Veyron in Salzburg last year.

Thanks again.

Dave Champ and me,in his (now sold) wonderful GTD refuel in Le mans town exactly near to a brand new Veyron.
Think is enough to say u the test driver was simply falling in love looking "our" gt40,walinking around and smiling too much,in the only way a gt40 can make u have a "stupid" smile for over 10 minutes...:D
His offshore-veyron doesnt really feature anything so special as the geetee can have,and this also if the GTD costs only as veyron's braking system.
No history, no emotions, no dreams.
Its just a modern toy usually sold to arabics searching the inutile power of its inutile 1001 hp and his inutile 400 km/h top speed (to do somewhere in desert?..doh..).
No way neither to compare this new audi-bugatti to the old crazy italian Bugatti ( I am referring to bugatti owned by Romano Artioli...with EB110 serie).
The older one had a lot much more of the french-italian tradition than this new expensive inutile toy.
Inside le mans I also had the opportunity to see both running and....even more, no way.
The beauty and the magic of the racing 40s cant really be near to the veyron (when it try stop..it also uses airbrakes as airplanes:confused: ...useful for something serious or just to show?doh again..:squint: )
Think will be really better deal to buy a ferrari Enzo,cause its a ferrari, its italian..its red (and u save a lot of money for a truly better formula 1 tech winning car)

There is really no reason in this world neither to think a Veyron can beat a gt40.
No way..at least for merockonsmile

Tizzy

The MK II and MK IV GT40s were geared for 220 mph down the Mulsanne at Lemans. But I don't know if they ever reached that speed.

MikeD

Chris Duncan

Supporter
"out perform"

depends on your definition of performance. HP? or more importantly power to weight ratio? Top speed? 1/4 mile time? Price? Dollar per HP? or bang for buck? Looks? Popularity?

Veyron
1000 HP
250 mph top speed
0-60 2.4 secs
4150 lbs.
1.7 mil

Ford GT
550 HP
205 mph top speed
0-60 3.3 secs
3400 lbs
160 K

GT40 (replica)
450 HP avg.
160 mph ? top speed avg.
0-60 ??
2400 lbs avg.
60 K avg.

straight performance the Veyron wins although power to weight the numbers are closer with the replica moving into 2nd.

On a really tight track the replica might do better if it had an above average handling set up, due to the weight penalty of the Veyron.

looks is subjective although public popularity the Gt 40 probably comes out on top.

bang for the buck? No contest, the Veyron is left in the dust and the replica reigns supreme. After all what good is a dream if so few of us can make it real?

The original GT's were about 225 mph on the Mulsanne, but that was with the 427.

The Veyron will do 257 mph but is electronically limited to 253 mph because the tires will fail after 15 minutes at that speed. It really doesn't matter though because at 250 the fuel only lasts 12 minutes, which is 1.2 mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Jones

Supporter
GT40's get more chicks! How's that for performance? Honestly, when I have had my car parked near other modern supercars it always gets the most attention.

IF and thats a big IF you were to spend a equal amount of money and R&D on a Ford of modern design I am sure it would be equal to the test. It would however not be a GT40.

The fastest confirmed speed I know of is J6's 223.

Having driven both I can tell you that a Veryon is on another planet and will leave a MK-IV far behind.

That said the electoronics needed to control the Veryon are IMO very intrusive and J6 AND P 4/5 are much more fun to drive. (P 4/5 will leave J6 far behind as well.)

Thankfully there are no roads in Tas' that the Veyron could be useful on so I won't be seeing one anytime soon. Good news because IMO they are one of the ugliest cars ever built.
Stupidly fast - that can be a good thing;
Stupidly powerful - see previous answer;
Stupidly expensive - well that limits it's market to two types of people, with (IMO) some degree of linkage;
Stupidly impractical - Not necessarily if you just tootle about but then why buy it (apart from the obvious Freudian reasons)? To use it in a way that would make say a Porsche Carrera GT inadequate would be stupid on anything but a very few roads, if any at all.
Stupidly ugly, the GT40 is light years ahead - and it was designed a generation ago...

I'm still betting a Veyron won't be all that quick (against other "supercars") around an average circuit. Perhaps that's why VW won't let one be driven by The Stig. A one trick pony?

Give me a car thats good (between 50 and 150 especially) through the twisties anyday as opposed to a lesser handling car with a top speed I can never use.
(All this said without the privilege of driving one - just articles read, drive tests watched, and plenty of conjecture)

Good on VW for doing it though!

Tim. (I'd still take the Carrera GT)

P.S. No I wouldn't, I'd take a good GT40 anyday. I don't even have to drive it to feel good. I feel good because it's beautiful and it's fun, not because it proves one a gazillionaire - big deal. Not directing this at Jim, but IMO it takes more than money and certainly more than celebrity to make someone rich.

P.P.S. I hope this doesn't affect my chances of seeing Jim's collection first hand one day... ;)
In return I promise I'll show him my collection of trail-bikes assuming he ever comes to Tassie... :)

P.P.P.S. I don't think I've ever edited a post so much...

Last edited:
Thankfully there are no roads in Tas' that the Veyron could be useful on so I won't be seeing one anytime soon. Good news because IMO they are one of the ugliest cars ever built.
Stupidly fast - that can be a good thing;
Stupidly powerful - see previous answer;
Stupidly expensive - well that limits it's market to two types of people, with (IMO) some degree of linkage;
Stupidly impractical - Not necessarily if you just tootle about but then why buy it (apart from the obvious Freudian reasons)? To use it in a way that would make say a Porsche Carrera GT inadequate would be stupid on anything but a very few roads, if any at all.
Stupidly ugly, the GT40 is light years ahead - and it was designed a generation ago...

I'm still betting a Veyron won't be all that quick (against other "supercars") around an average circuit. Perhaps that's why VW won't let one be driven by The Stig. A one trick pony?

Give me a car thats good (between 50 and 150 especially) through the twisties anyday as opposed to a lesser handling car with a top speed I can never use.
(All this said without the privilege of driving one - just articles read, drive tests watched, and plenty of conjecture)

Good on VW for doing it though!

Tim. (I'd still take the Carrera GT)

P.S. No I wouldn't, I'd take a good GT40 anyday. I don't even have to drive it to feel good. I feel good because it's beautiful and it's fun, not because it proves one a gazillionaire - big deal. Not directing this at Jim, but IMO it takes more than money and certainly more than celebrity to make someone rich.

P.P.S. I hope this doesn't affect my chances of seeing Jim's collection first hand one day... ;)
In return I promise I'll show him my collection of trail-bikes assuming he ever comes to Tassie... :)

P.P.P.S. I don't think I've ever edited a post so much...

One thing you're leaving out is the brakes. The Veryons brakes would make it much faster around a track than an original GT 40.

All of you are quite welcome at any time and as an aside this spring when my 412P is going back together I'll have another get together.

Best

Back