1075 owner

Am i right in thinking that 1075 is owned by a guy called Rob Walton? Does anyone know what his background is? He seams to own quite a few historic cars (Daytona Cobra etc.)

I have spoken with him a few times at Monterey. Very pleasant gentleman and a terrific driver. Speaking to him you would never know who he is. Very approachable. (Sure doesn't seem to be the monsters some anti Walmarters would have you believe) Goes to show you that multi-billionaires and common wrench turners like myself can all find common ground with our love of beautiful cars.

Am i right in thinking that 1075 is owned by a guy called Rob Walton? Does anyone know what his background is? He seams to own quite a few historic cars (Daytona Cobra etc.)

I saw at Lime Rock or Road America (maybe it was at the SAAC meeting) a big WalMart rig with 1075, Daytona, Another GT40, Boss 302 TranAm and several other cars. I think that 1075 was purchased by his late father.

I'm intrigued, Fran, as to how you can spend so much time reading interesting threads on this forum, and contributing lots, while running your business, researching and producing new products, and amassing a library of information on cars. You don't have an identical twin brother, do you? (Sorry, slightly off the thread topic, there).

Getting back to the owner of 1075, a character study of 40 owner's may be an interesting adjunct to the height study. Are they approachable (as the owner of 1075 is), friendly, salt of the earth people? Are they introverted or extroverted? Showing off, or happy to enjoy by themselves (many drive alone), or keen to show others how great a 40 is? The effort put into the builds shows incredible strength of character I believe, with research, effort, problem solving, persistence, and so on, which are a credit to the builder. Are 40 owners people of unusual character, then? Or just desperate for one more exciting possession, in this case a car? Maybe there are all types, just like the general population. Nostalgia plays a part for me; it was the most exciting streetable car I saw in my youth.

Dalton

Re 1075 being at Indy: Yes, it was. It spent some time there, on loan from Gulf Oil, the owners. It was later sold to Harley Cluxton.

Thank you Fran, nice to be here. I heard a couple of months back that 1032 is being (or has recently been) restored. If so that's a pity, because it was one of the most original Mark IIs around. When 1075 was at Indy 1032 spent some time at the Museum of Early Wheels, Terre Haute. Incidentally, that's 1075, complete with incorrect, Mirage-style, front stripe, in my "avatar".

Rob Walton's 1075 certainly wasn't bought by his father. He started racing late because his father wouldn't want him to do so.
He bought his collection himself and has turned out to be one hell of a driver.
I've raced against him and he's just very good.
This is not one of the guys with just cash and too many cars, he knows what he's got and he uses them.

Thank you Fran, nice to be here. I heard a couple of months back that 1032 is being (or has recently been) restored. If so that's a pity, because it was one of the most original Mark IIs around. When 1075 was at Indy 1032 spent some time at the Museum of Early Wheels, Terre Haute. Incidentally, that's 1075, complete with incorrect, Mirage-style, front stripe, in my "avatar".

John,
I remember seeing a car in the Museum of Early Wheels when I attended Indiana State University in the early 80's. Do you recall the source of your information?

Thanks,
Tim

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tim, this thread is over 8 years old. John has not been back since

"Last Activity: 5th April 2014 06:37 AM", or if he has, he hasn't signed in.

Regards Brian

Back