Importing Engines form US to UK. Actual cost?

Hi,
I'm sure someone on here must have imported an engine from US to UK. I've done a search and there seems to be a lot of talk and guesswork about what the duty rate is etc etc, but no firm figures.

Is anyone willing to disclose how much it cost them to import an engine? e.g. how much was engine in USD (no shipping etc.), and how much in pounds by the time you got it to UK? I know it may vary case by case as by the sounds of it customs pick a rate as they see fit, but it would be a good guide.

Thanks
Jono

Ron Earp

Admin
One way that I am somewhat acquainted with is to get your friendly US buddy to buy what you want. Then, have your friendly US buddy ship it over as a used engine with invoice and declaration of value. You'll pay actual shipping costs, probably around $600, plus the VAT on the declared value. It'll save a bundle given what I've seen you UK folks pay for Ford engines. That and a 2 dollar to the pound rate, you guys are set for buying US goods.

Ron

Re: Importing Engines from US to UK. Actual cost?

I'm not sure the rate of duty will greatly affect your engine cost - for example on a USD 5000 engine allowing about USD 750 for shipping (both guesses) duty at 2.5 % is USD 143.75 and at 7.5 % is USD 431.25 then add vat at 17.5 % and convert at say USD 2 = £ 1 and the difference on an engine whose landed cost is about UK£ 3500 is only UK£ 169

Speak to Mike Huddard at Huddart engines in the UK. They don't import, but if you're looking for a US engine, he's a top bloke.
The only thing that concerns me personally about importing an engine is what happens if there is a problem? pretty rare I know, but an established UK builder would stand by his work.
Simon

I used Mike for my engine build. A good quality build up indeed.

There was a problem with the initial build which was only found on the dyno tests (the engine ate its cam), Mike was able to strip and rebuild the engine and track the problem down with no hassle to me at all.

Yes we do pay a bit more for US engines over here, but the peace of mind in using a local builder is worth it in my mind.

a friend of mine is the uk agent for engine factory

chap called mark smith. 01952 604944, works most in evenings

he will give you all the info you need, (and would like to sell you an engine in the process of course, but he is not pushy),

he does a lot for the cobra and mustang crowd

Hi Jono
Here is an actual.
A while ago a friend of mine imported an engine from US. Invoice value was 2300USD. Shipping was 767.63USD which was paid for by the vendor.

The exchange rate they used was 1.9048

I cannot work out how they made up the next 2 numbers.
Duty was 65.33GBP (around 4 or 5 %)
VAT was 293.26GBP

Then there was a deferrment fee of 12.50GBP for BAX to pay customs and to allow the customer to pay Bax later.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Ron, is that an offer? ;)
Not sure how that approach goes if you want insured shipping... Could lose out a bit if it went missing if declared value is lower.
Gordon, thanks, I will let you know.

I've enquired at Real Steel for a UK price on a World aluminium small block crate engine, so I can work out if its worth going the DIY import route but for some reason they seem reluctant to work out a price as they aren't stock items and suggested I go for a Dart block as they keep those in stock.

I should maybe look into the Uk builders in a bit more detail as there are more around than i thought. Certainly should be easier if there are any problems, but like most things will come down to money in the end. I was also erring more towards a US built engine as I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that as more are built over there they are more familiar with the engines and the best way to do things.

UK builders (as opposed to importers of turnkeys) of reputation I know and have used personally and would recommend

mike huddart huddart engines (henkelow)
tim adams racing engines (shropshire)
Kenny coleman Engine data analysis (castleford)
peter knight racing (daventry)

sure there are more........

On importation add vat and about 4% import duty . This goes on to the cost of engine and the £ 600 pounds transport cost .Just keep giving Mr brown more and more!!!

Mike Pass

Supporter
Go and have a chat with Kenny Coleman at EDA in Castleford. He is building up a 347 for us at the moment from a '74 block. He has been building top v8 motors (including original GT40) for years and has all the experience and equipment. He can do internal balancing, mains line honing, decking boring , honing, etc. and will run and set up your engine up on the dyno for you so you can see what it really gives out - no bullshit bhp claims!
Cheers
Mike

agreed, If Kenny is close, he is definately your man.

I spent a full day, and I mean full from 8am through 9pm, getting an engine dynod and set up properly, lost count of the number of pulls while he checked and rechecked, adjusted, tinkered etc etc.

wasn't one of his engines, but he took care of me as though it were

quoted me for reasonably for a dyno session (£200 i think), and though he worked on the engine way longer than the few pulls i expected, did not charge any extra.

Id certainly have no questions using him....

Gardner Douglas use him for all their chevy work,

Hi,
I'm sure someone on here must have imported an engine from US to UK. I've done a search and there seems to be a lot of talk and guesswork about what the duty rate is etc etc, but no firm figures.

Is anyone willing to disclose how much it cost them to import an engine? e.g. how much was engine in USD (no shipping etc.), and how much in pounds by the time you got it to UK? I know it may vary case by case as by the sounds of it customs pick a rate as they see fit, but it would be a good guide.

Thanks
Jono

Hi Jono,
I'm currently in the process of importing a 427 Side Oiler from Southern Automotive. The shipping cost is $1,085 (door-to-door) and the import duty rate is 4.5%. You then have VAT on everything.
I hope that helps.
Paul

I would tend to agree with the advice here about using a UK builder. I bought a Windsor 392 stroker crate motor from Ford Motorsport in 2003 for my Pantera. The car had a Cleveland when I bought it which started giving some trouble. As it had been rebuilt by the previous owner who I could not contact, I had little idea of the spec and decided that the crate motor was a good way to go, afterall 450bhp for $6500 US seemed a bargain. Some minor mods were needed to make it suitable for install in the Pantera. The motor definitely put out the power, but it was less torquey low down than the clevo, and difficult to drive smoothly, very peaky power delivery. As I used it a vibration began to appear and after a year, and about 1k miles it was real bad, the motor sounded and felt harsh and the whole car vibrated.
To cut a long story short, I ended up having the motor rebuilt by Roger Brotton of Three Point Four in Barnsley, using the required parts bought from and rec. by Real Steel. The motor had not been balanced by Ford, the crank need a small amount and the camshaft was replaced. The bearings were even scored.
Ford US would not entertain me as they did not at the time offer any warranty on SVO motors. Now I believe they do, It would have been less expensive for me to use a UK build and less trouble.
In fact I should have kept the original Cleveland, it was as smooth as butter, loads of torque, and dynoed at 410hp. The guy I sold it to only had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and carb!!!
Steve

Ron Earp

Admin
Personally I'd support the local builders if that is what you are going for. My comments were more directed at buying a complete motor that is also sold in the UK, like a Roush motor. Seems that if a Roush costs $16k in the US then it costs 16k pounds in the UK, or a little less than twice what we pay in the states. In those cases I think you have plenty of savings available by importing. If I were building you can't beat the support of a good local engine builder.

R

Keith

Seeing as Mountune in the UK is a Roush owned concern, will they import/support the kind of Roush engine products a '40 needs? Not cheap motors but the product is good and has factory warranty...

£200 certainly seems pretty good value for a full day of dyno / tuning work. I'm starting to think it may be better to go local (or at least UK). It'll be easier to be able to chat to someone about what I want from the engine etc. rather than just import a crate that might not suit my needs for the sake of saving a few pounds.
Thanks again for all advice & replies

Howard Jones

Supporter
Steveirl,,,,,, AH another FMS Cratemotor story!!!! Mine spun the mains out of it at 4000 Miles. I had ring gaps from 12 thou to 30 thou and several of the rod bolts were down to 9 Lb of torque. I spent half a day taking that motor apart and wrote down every parameter. BASIC AFUed if I ever have seen AUFed. Even with a 6K rev limit on it it didn't last long. In my opinion crate motors are the best way to get all the new parts in one package price if you want FMS parts. On the other hand there are a lot of good aftermarket parts out there and many of the FORD pieces can be improved on. I'd start with the valve train and cam for sure if I replaced parts. But and I mean a BIG BUT!!! I would pull it down and have it balanced right out of the crate and then assemble it myself so I would know what was in there AND HOW IT WENT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!

When I started telling people about my experience I can't tell you how many other people told me of cratemotors that were unbalanced, badly torqued, loose waterpumps, unseated vibration balancer, Etc. Etc. Good enough for streetrod to cruise mainstreet but they don't belong in a serious track driven GT40. Or under a led foot for that matter.

They are surely doing something different with cratemotors than they are doing with the normal production line engines. I know what they say about same assembly line, ba ba ba, but I don't believe them. Buy your motor local from someone you have references for or experience with. You will be much happier and have just what you want as far as specs go.

Sorry about the thread drift but this is my primary RANT!!!! other than Hillary.

Back