New guy with pictures.

Hello everyone.

Looking for some information on a picture.
Got it from a vender at Limerock vintage. Hoping you guys can give me some information on the car.

Thanks in advance.

1527034197_0b5431d3c8.jpg

1527902792_03873e66a3_b.jpg

Definitly a very early car due to the nose section. The lack of side covers makes me wonder if it isn't an early Alan Mann car working on reducing weight.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
There is a virtually identical picture on page 116 of Trevor Legates Ford GT40 book except the car is numbered as 59. It is identified as chassis p/1005

Dave Collins

Supporter
This does look like 1005 when run by Terry Drury. From Ronnie Spain's book it carried the comp number 45 at the Silverstone Wills Trophy on 15/7/67 finished 6th. Was in purple livery by this point.

Dave

Sorry guys, I have been away.

This is great information. I appreciate it.
If there is any more I'd love to hear it.

The car in the picture is so similar to the photo on page 166 of my book (taken by me at the BOAC race at Brands) that I'd wager a shilling or two that it's the same car. Note the single Raydot mirror etc etc. Which means it's 1005 when owned briefly from 1966 to 1967 by Terry Drury. Or not.

When they started to use Halibrandt wheels? And when they stopped the use of Borrani(?) wire wheels?

In 1965 and into the spring of 1966, both Borrani wire rims and Halibrand magnesium rims were used. Both types can be clearly seen on photos of GT40s in races during this period. Perhaps the Shelby team cars went to Halibrand mags exclusively before other teams, whereas independent teams might have stayed with Borranis due to a lack of availability of Halibrands, but I am speculating without hard proof. My GT40 #P1040 was supplied with Borrani wire wheels when it left FAV for the Filipinetti team on March 1, 1966. At 1966 Le Mans Trials (April 2-3), #P1040 used both Borrani wires and Halibrand mags. At the Monza 1000 Kilometres three weeks later, #P1040 had Borrani wires for early practice sessions, but in the race used Halibrand mag rims. On May 22, 1966, Filipinetti car #P1039 used Halibrands, I believe (the photos I have do not show the rims clearly). At 1966 Le Mans, #P1040 switched to BRM mag rims. In 1967, #P1040 was back on Halibrands for Le Mans Trials April 8, and for the Monza 1000 Kilometres on April 25.

I'm not seeing the original photo and your's looks to be under glass, but I am not sure the number is original to the photo. There is no shadow from the marker light and for hand painted numbers, they came pretty close to the window sill. It is more reminiscent of a bad photoshop job with out rescaling the numbers. I'm not sure you will find any specific information about the photo (at least with that number). As others have said, there are other "versions" of the photo around. Beware of "flea market" vendors at car events.

I owned 1005 1971-75 before it went to Salt Walther in the States.

I would say it was the car in it's Drury days. He paid £1800 for it.
It appears with No 59 on it in Peter Darley's superb book 'Jim Clark Life at Team Lotus' from a race at Brands. John Miles in the Lotus 47 is right up its chuff.
Keith Holland was driving with Terry.
I would ask Ronnie but he in the USA.

NOTE...Photo P/1005 Summer 1974..my Mum & Dad both now deceased
Second photo again 1974 just before going to Hatfild House to fim an Ad for Gulf Germany
Last pic..jump to 2005 at our charity event. Now owned by Leo Voyazides. It's 'history' from the USA fire at Walthers garage to the currnet day could be descibed as 'foggy' and well chronicled on ths website !
The huge red haired Scottish scallywag on the left is none other than Ronnie Spain.

Attachments

• 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 724
  • Rear view #1005.jpg
    Rear view #1005.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 748
  • Copy (2) of Ronnie Spain & 1005.jpg
    Copy (2) of Ronnie Spain & 1005.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 755
I very much appreciate all the comments.

I will do what I can to take a closer look at the number.

I did not pay much for the picture. So little infact I do not expect someone went to the lengths to change the number.

I only ask about its history so I may address it correctly in conversation with friends. It sits in my smoking room surrounded by other period racing pictures that often create conversation.

A 66/67 Series one GT40 will have to be enough in this instance.

Hey SHOTIME, I see your are from Boston. I live in Norwell. Give me a call sometime 781-659-1404 I have some more info on #1005 or email me at datonabill at msn dot com

Back