GT40 Mk. II targa buried in Los Angeles

I wrote a page in the book I co-authored on
the GT40 Mk. II SN110 which I believe is
buried in a landfill in a suburb of Los Angeles.But one
car restorer said a friend in Minnestora owns it.
This the car that Bruce McLaren raced in Can Am
with a long nose and sidedraft webers on a 427.
Who is right? Has this car long since been dug up?
I like the car because it is one of the few with
an aluminum tub, and the only big block targa and it only raced once in an International event (Sebring '66) and won!

[email protected]

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I think this is what you meant:

not_this_shit_again.jpg

I wrote a page in the book I co-authored on
the GT40 Mk. II SN110 which I believe is
buried in a landfill in a suburb of Los Angeles.But one
car restorer said a friend in Minnestora owns it.
This the car that Bruce McLaren raced in Can Am
with a long nose and sidedraft webers on a 427.
Who is right? Has this car long since been dug up?
I like the car because it is one of the few with
an aluminum tub, and the only big block targa and it only raced once in an International event (Sebring '66) and won!

[email protected]

Since they found the 1965 Targa Folrio Roadster GT111 in a lockup in Stratford ( Olympic 2012 site) I suppose anything is possible??? The nose on the big block X1 GT110 was from the 1965 Le Mans nose cars complete with lights?? According to Ronnie Spains book they were 5 built cars but 6 chassis one of which he called GT110a? I am wondering if this car if it surfaces will turn up with this chassis??
Regards Allan

Well, according to Ronnie Spain's book, the original X1 chassis GT/110
was used as a parts source at SAI, and in 1970 the bare chassis was
cut up into pieces and buried - an apartment building now stands over
it. There was a second chassis built at the same time, unnumbered,
which Ronnie calls GT/110A.

Ian

Well, according to Ronnie Spain's book, the original X1 chassis GT/110
was used as a parts source at SAI, and in 1970 the bare chassis was
cut up into pieces and buried - an apartment building now stands over
it. There was a second chassis built at the same time, unnumbered,
which Ronnie calls GT/110A.

Ian

Word.

The car was stripped and the frame buried in California. A couple of small parts were kept by the person, still alive today, who stripped it and watched it being buried at the site. He also still has the small parts.

OK I will only compare buried cars. We'll have to see how those WWII airplanes out of the SE asia (Burma) come out, once they are dug up, though they were stored with Cosmoline and with the idea of bringing them out once the occupiers have left. Incidentaly discovered story today Ford GT40 X1
which says the extra lighteight chassis was sent to Kar Kraft while McLaren was sent the other, I was wondering when Kar Kraft was closed and where did all the stuff go (not counting the new company using the name Kar Kraft)

Keith

We'll have to see how those WWII airplanes out of the SE asia (Burma) come out, once they are dug up, though they were stored with Cosmoline and with the idea of bringing them out once the occupiers have left.

No Spitfires - it was all about one man's obsession.

BBC News - Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma

Equipment WAS buried and destroyed at war's end as it was cheaper than shipping back, however vehicles from the Western Desert were still being 'repatriated' back to the UK 10 years in their thousands after WWII ended to alleviate steel shortages.

Southampton Docks were like a kid's ultimate theme park back in the day..

But, no Spitfires.

No Spitfires - it was all about one man's obsession.

BBC News - Archaeologists believe no Spitfires buried in Burma

Equipment WAS buried and destroyed at war's end as it was cheaper than shipping back, however vehicles from the Western Desert were still being 'repatriated' back to the UK 10 years in their thousands after WWII ended to alleviate steel shortages.

Southampton Docks were like a kid's ultimate theme park back in the day..

But, no Spitfires.

Not a surprise but I wanted to believe they were there. Would have been a nice story

Back