Prices on complete GT40s

I'm mulling the idea of assembling some GT40s from SPF or CAV rollers and/or from kit builds (Tornado, ERA, Roaring 40s) and reselling them as completed cars with engines.

I am wondering what kind of money I can make. Does anyone have some data on resale values of new, fully assembled and titled, GT40s from the various replica and continuation car manufacturers?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If you wish to make a small fortune, start with a large one! I doubt you can make much money doing this. As a supplier and installer, perhaps, but buying, finishing and reselling.....I doubt it. Most cars are built by an owner to their "idea" of what a GT40 is, as they say in the commercials "Your mileage (results, erection, investment) may vary".

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
2006 New Superformance GT40 Continuation GT-40 at Norm Baker Motor Co. in Las Vegas, NV | Lotus - Vehicle Details

Check out this GT40 mkII, which is a Superformance car, Roush motor, ZF trans, all built and ready to go....... for maybe $10k LESS than it would cost to build. (They've listed this car previously on eSlay for $106k.) $80k roller + $20k motor + $10k trans = $4k loss at a selling price of $106k, and that's not counting any labor! Of course, they are SPF dealers, so they didn't pay $80k for the roller, but....

It's been for sale for a while. Bummer for them. Unless the guy comes along who was about to order that exact same car, or doesn't mind taking his second color choice in order to get in the car now...

I am exploring what's involved in doing a Superformance car, and I have found a shop who has done piles of SPF Cobras and a bunch of their GT40's, and they charge a flat rate for the assembly. Drop the roller, trans, and Roush lump at his place, pay a flat amount, car is ready in 2-4 weeks. I won't quote their prices (I'll leave it to them!), but the flat rate is QUITE reasonable.

charliec,

Thanks for the link and info. I've heard of SPF's going for $180K at auction. The video at the link you gave referred to such prices. Probably a charity auction that brought generous prices, right?

Who's the shop that you found for SPF assembly? I'm interested in one for myself too and am looking for prices.

Regards, Stu

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Charlie,
I believe the Norm Baker car is a pre price increase SN and was built as a show demo?...So I wouldn't shed any tears for them loosing money...A good deal for someone who wants it as presented...Steve P2125
ps...on the web site for $129K

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Steve - Hey, Norm Baker are no dummies, that's for sure. I'm sure they'll be fine. It IS a good deal... I wish I liked red!

Stuart - The $180k sale tale is, I believe, from the Barrett-Jackson auctions, where reality ceases to exist as the first car crosses the block! Most of the Superformance dealers have local installers they use, the one I found is in Fullerton, CA and has done many of Hillbank's customer's cars.

Here ya go:

Voss Performance - Home Page

Stuart

IMHO the market is too small/specialized to make reliable money building/selling GT40s.
I think you'd be better off looking at Cobras....way less money...way more customer base. There are a number of dedicated Cobra builders in the US...might want to check out a few.

MikeD

Back