Which GT40 Replica is most like the Ford GT?

I'm in the market to build (or have built) a GT40. I'm most interested in duplicating (as much as possible) the performance, handling, and style of the 2004-06 Ford GT. I plan street and track use.

Your opinion on which GT40 Replica manufacturer's kit is most like the modern Ford GT?

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmmmmmmmm......none?

The replicas discussed on this board are of the Ford GT40 race car, not the Ford GT which is a modern interpretation of the Ford GT40.

None are like the new Ford GT.

The replicas made today replicate the Ford Gt40s built during the sixties. You may wish to get a few car magazines to obtain the statistics and dimensions of the new GT and compare them and the pictures of the
replicas. Might want to check out the web sites of the replica manufacturers for further comparison figures.

Good luck.

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Dean Lampe's car maybe? As in, an RCR built out with max-strength ally components? Maybe with a 550hp Roush lump?

....oh, and to be comparable to the FGT, about 900 lbs. of ballast! :)

J/K, I love the new FGT, but it is a HUGE car compared to the original-size package. Even still, I want both!

Just a thought - have you checked out Factory Five's GTM? Very GT-like in styling, but a modern take on the concept... I kind of like it....

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Last edited:
Here's a GT with a Mk.I and Mk.II

HSRVintagestills023.jpg

the style is easy, a GT40 is much prettier than a Ford GT. Handling should be no problem if you pay attention to detail on setup. Performance, a tough one. A GT40 can be built to go about as fast as anything but matching the smoothness ,braking and comfort os a tall order for a 40 year old design. You could buy a used Z06 and come very close to getting some of what you want, for less money than a top notch GT40 replica.

John,

Do you know of any information regarding the MkI & MkII GT40s in your photo? And...do you have any more pictures of these 40s?

Great looking cars.

Thanks,

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I think the replica most like the new Ford GT is actually the DRB, not because it doesn't look like an original, it's just that many DRB owners have 'modernised' the cars to look less like their 60's brethren and more like their 00's cousins. There are the DRB's with the high wing mirrors, centre shift, modern seats/wheels, one car with Ford GT like headlights etc. No other replica has shown such a diverse amount of 'modern' customisation which is no bad thing - I think it sets the DRB apart as been a very versatile replica capable of filling many roles (and hence many garages...)

my 0.02

Bill
p.s. there are also very many DRB's that are spittin' image replicas of 60's cars, so please no offense...:eek:

Gary, they were at Sebring for the fall vintage races last year and were part of the Shelby colection out of Boulder(I think it was Boulder). With any luck they will be here next weekend. They said that when they came back this fall that they would bring a J-car. Anyhow, they were driven like they made them everyday. As far as these two cars go, I don't know much about the Mk.I. The Mk.II is chassis no. 1015. It was driven by Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby at the '66 24 Hours of Daytona, giving Ford it's first 24 hour win.
The folks that brought the 40s also brought a 427 SC and a 289 FIA car. It was heaven!
HSRVintagestills040.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the MKI is a former Comstock racer, not sure of the chassis number. They have J7 at the museum so that may be the J-car they hope to bring.

WB1,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the info about the cars. I really like the shot of the white car with the rear clip up to show the engine and the Webers with the cold air box.

Mark, thanks for the info. If they are here this weekend I will be sure to get a chassis #. If they bring a J-car I will most likely wet myself.
Gary, I'll take some pics and post them if they bring 40s again. I had a picture of the 427 in the II with two 4s, but I can't find it. Also had a pic of a 40 with the Gurny-Weslake motor and can't find it, either. I think it may have been a Mirage, although it wasn't a Gulf car.
I didn't mean to jack this thread, James; just show the difference between the 40 and the GT.
Thanks, John

Howard Jones

Supporter
Check this out. Here is my car along side a friends GT.

Attachments

• HPIM0097.jpg
    HPIM0097.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • HPIM0100.jpg
    HPIM0100.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,575
  • HPIM0101.jpg
    HPIM0101.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 903
Howard

Your pictures make plain what is patently obvious....the GT is a bigger/heavier car.
So a replica will never be just like the GT....not necessarily a bad thing...just making clear
these are different vehicles in many ways.

MikeD

Wow,

Those pictures are great!

Really shows the size difference between the two cars. I had no idea that the size would be that much different. When I fiirst looked at the pictures, the first thing I thought of is that the GT40 was 3/4 size. Kind of what Smokey Yunick did when he went Nascar racing and bent the rules when it came to the overall size of the cars.....and the reason the Nascar guys have to conform to "templates" now.

Again, those pictures are great. Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures......and by the way, both cars are really nice looking!

Back