CAV GTR testing

Hi guys
I have been 'begged' to post some photos of the latest GTR testing. Well, here they are...
further testing next week, as well as report.
Regards to all.
jean

Attachments

• DSCF0004 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0004 (Large).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,327
  • DSCF0008 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0008 (Large).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,304
..and some more

Attachments

• DSCF0017 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0017 (Large).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,233
  • DSCF0059 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0059 (Large).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,300

Malcolm

Supporter
Do you have any aero work on the back half of the car? I thought with a chin spoiler like this you could put a 0.5 to 1 inch lip where the sills screw to the chassis under the car to prevent air sucking in from the sides. Then with a venturi at the rear you should have quite a good downforce set up? Unless this would be in breach of regs?

Hi..
We are at present getting aprox 120-140kg downforce on the nose. The rear is fitted with a Gurney-tab as well as plate below the length of the engine and gearbox.
Working well!

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,312
What Transaxle and Engine in the company car?
What is ground clearence at the front????
It looks awefully tight.

Howard Jones

Supporter
What kind of down-force do you think you are generating at the rear from the Gurney tab? The 2 inches I have on mine above the existing bodywork duck tale is quite effective. I have guessed, AND I really mean guessed, that it has to be worth at least about a 100-150 pounds at speeds above a 100mph or so. Do you think I am in the ballpark with this figure?

I also have front wing-lets (canards) on the front like the originals but they can't be doing much. My guess is less that 20-25 pounds @ +100mph.

I do like the front air-dam. How do you attach it to the bodywork? Will that be a part that will be for sale at some point in the future.

Hi Guys
In answer to your questions:
The engine is a 302, producing 400Hp at 6000rpm, ( small but perfect for testing purposes )which is where this car is being driven. The gearbox is a short geared, close ratio, Audi 6-speed as used in the diesel turbo units, fitted with a LS diff.
We are doing more tests re the Gurney tab on the rear, so no figures and opinions as yet.
The front ground clearance is 2". The wear plate has shown minor signs of contact, but that is mostly under extreme braking and due to very rough track surfaces on our local circuit. Nothing to worry about. The nose is SO stable, its worth the effort.

Chat again soon.
Jean

Hi Jean,

First, let me say that the GTR looks fantastic. I hope performance is just as exciting.
It must be rewarding to see such results.

I have a few questions that you can hopefully answer:

1) It appears that the wheels are using 15 inch centers (maybe 16) on respun
17 inch rims (or even 18). Is this the case? If so, is this an option on all CAVs?
Are the wheels made by Vintage, or someone local to you?

2) Any shots of the roll cage, including the supports into the engine bay? I am
always curious to see how the cages are developed and fit by manufacturers and
builders.

3) It looks like you have break ducting coming in from where the driving/signal lights
normally go. Was this because of greater airflow?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian
The wheels are 17". They are made locally and on this car I am using 10" at the front and 14" on the rear. They are available to CAV owners, but for now only in the Halibrand style.
I have attached a photo of the engine bay. You should be able to see the roll cage extentions onto rear crossmember.
The front airducts are for the front brakes. Photo attached.
Best regards
Jean

Attachments

• 19112007 (7).jpg
    19112007 (7).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 950
  • ram air 2.jpg
    ram air 2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 901
Ian
It's difficult to see on the front upright photo, but the 45' bend actually enters the upright, forcing the air INTO the centre of brake disc. The disc is designed to 'throw' the warm air out, and suck cold air in from the inside.
Regards
Jean

Hi everybody
The local track is fully booked till end of the year... :-(
We have set up a film crew for beginning next year though, so we can put a DVD together re the GTR. Once complete, I will try and post a short version thereof.
All the best
Jean

Nice work Jean,

How much clearance do you have at the front when the car is stationary, I have a similar set up and we have 80mm, interested to hear you comments on handling effect "before" and "after"

I have resolved to fabricate a proper rear diffuser for my car, the last race meeting I attended everyone seemed to have grown one !

Iain

Back