GT40 in Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" movie

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
After watching the movie Le Mans again,my curiosity has been stirred as to the history of the GT40 that appears briefly at the beginning of the film (in traffic entering the circuit).
It appears to be an early Mk1(four tail lights) with Borrani's,as it is a film of the 1970 race I believe it must be a geniune GT40,I don't think anyone was making replicas back then.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I know there were a couple GT40s ( someone probably knows the #s, I don't) equipped as camera cars for the making of "Grand Prix", they may have been used in some shots. It could also have been some older footage used in the film, as was alluded to.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
like this?

Attachments

• 1074 Filming for Steve McQueen.JPG
    1074 Filming for Steve McQueen.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 1074rear.jpg
    1074rear.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,459

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
My apologies it is not a race car but a road version that appears briefly at the beginning of the film when they show the cars entering the circuit car parks,whilst the credits are running.

think i understand the one hoppy is referring.
it is a dark colored gt40 enetering the circuit with other cars (seems just an "ordinary" car parking,at the beginning of the movie...track entrance,probably).
Also I have noted it.
The car appears for few seconds...look carefully when they show the beginning,with people entrance.

It must have been fun being the camera-man in that GT. Looks like he had a special seat installed. I have a friend that does that sort of filming in airplanes....... Big ones!!!

After watching the movie Le Mans again,my curiosity has been stirred as to the history of the GT40 that appears briefly at the beginning of the film (in traffic entering the circuit).
It appears to be an early Mk1(four tail lights) with Borrani's,as it is a film of the 1970 race I believe it must be a geniune GT40,I don't think anyone was making replicas back then.
http://technorati.com/cosmos/search...com/forum/paddock/15805-917-crash.html#138807

Bill asked the same question over 2 years ago but got no reply!!

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Bill H. where is that car now?? Pretty weird mods to it, especially the roof whack and race screen. I think the camera cars for Grand Prix had structures attaches, but don't recall any sans roof. Is the # known for that car? Is it still in that configuration or was the roof re-attached??

Bill H. where is that car now?? Pretty weird mods to it, especially the roof whack and race screen. I think the camera cars for Grand Prix had structures attaches, but don't recall any sans roof. Is the # known for that car? Is it still in that configuration or was the roof re-attached??

The camera car for McQueen's LeMans was #1074. It was restored to original spec with a
new rear shell and spyder IIRC. Ken Saunders owns (or at least used to own) the
cut down rear shell as used on the camera car.

Ian

Additionally, Solar Productions entered a Porsche 908/2 for the race, to serve as a camera car. The nose panel was removed, and a big section of the tail was cut away, and two full-size 35mm cameras were installed. The goofy-looking car started the race, and actually ran the full distance, amazingly finishing in 9th place overall despite the fact that the drivers had to make pit stops every 20-30 minutes or so to change film!

Several years ago, Sports Car International magazine published a story on the making of the film Le Mans, in which photos of both the Porsche 908/2 and GT40 camera cars were featured.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
It is the white car at the beginning of the film.I can't recall anything about it in the French Kiss with Death book(my library is in Oz),but it is a spectators car so would most likely not rate a mention.

Hoppy,

I can confirm that the car you refer to is a genuine original 40 and was driven to the circuit as a road car. I was there. Right now i cannot remember the chassis number or owners name but it will come back to me and i,ll let you know.

Graham.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Hoppy,

I can confirm that the car you refer to is a genuine original 40 and was driven to the circuit as a road car. I was there. Right now i cannot remember the chassis number or owners name but it will come back to me and i,ll let you know.

Graham.

Graham,

Thank you very much,I would appreciate that,

One of the things I like about this forum is the wealth of information and people willing to share that information.

I got my copy of Le Mans today and it has some great footage in it. It’s easy to see why this movie cost so much to make.

Cheers,
Danny

Back