repo VIN plates?

is Ben Miller still around/

Got a set years ago but has taken so long with the build that i lost them.

Thanks for any info. cb

Holy Crapola !!!! 40 GBP for a vin plate ?!?! With shipping, thats nearly $100 US. I've been making them in several styles (including the one on eBay) and giving them away for postage. Maybe it's time for me to make a career out of it if I can land $100 a pop. I've done about 100 so far.....that's $10K !!!!

Attachments

• Chassis Plate.jpg
    Chassis Plate.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,927
  • Vin Plates.jpg
    Vin Plates.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,834
  • FoMoCo VIN.jpg
    FoMoCo VIN.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,631
Last edited:
Lynn: I have your JWA plaque on my car. I would really like one with the original goldish colored lettering. You wouldn't happen to have one? As you say, "Holy Crapola !!!!" $100 a pop, that's a bit much.

Last edited:
Hey Lynn,

Nice avitar picture!

Nice badges by the way too.

Maybe after the first of the year, I will have a need for one of your VIN plates.

Say hello to Becky for me. Hope the snow is not too deep for you to get around.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year........with alot of Cheers to go around. Give me a call when you get to your brothers.

Huw:

Plates mount all over the place. Seems like no two cars are the same. "Most" are over the right shoulder of the right seat. Some are lower on the right side by the door latch. Some are on the back side of the bulkhead in the engine compartment, "usually" right side, sometimes left. Others exist elsewhere. Point is .... take your pick.

Speed:

Give me more info the "goldfish" you refer to. Got a picture? I've never seen one like you describe but I may be to repo it if I can see one.

Gary:

Can't wait to come to PDX to install a vin plate on your 40. Tell Kylerdude hi.

I believe the gold tint is actually age induced by heat. I think they all started out silver/black. BTW, Lynn I have your plates and they are excellent quality!

Note to all the guys who asked me to make vin plates: Now that the holidays are over, I've got some time to get these out. I've made up a half dozen of every style. Tell me again what you wanted and I'll get them out. I can make more as required.

Lynn,

What is the price for the 2 at the bottom of the picture, the Ford Motor Company and Jw... ones?

How do you ship those and how can I pay for them?

Cheers!

OK guys after a gazillion emails and PM's here is how the price structure works. I used to give the plates away for postage when it was onezy twozy. Now it's getting crazy. Since the legal eagles out there are concerned about copyright issues (if there are any), I accept donations. Some guys send nothing, some guys send $20. Donate what you think they are worth. To give you an idea of what it took to develop these, there is about $7 in materials each and over 100 hours in researching the fonts and doing the artwork. it's all done on a $35,000 Laser. PayPal works great to my email address.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,

Sent you an e-mail, I would like the lower two Ford Motor Co. and JW Automotive styles.

Thanks,

All dimensions are very approximate because I'm too lazy to go out in my shop right now to get accurate measurements. It's very cold with lots of snow here.
FoMoCo is about 1.3x3
JWA is about 1x4
FAV is about 1x5

These look beautiful.

For the sake of authenticity, can you give a breakdown as to which type of tag would be found on what kind of car? The Mk II tags are fairly self-explanatory, but are they mutually exclusive? That is, one would be found on an early Mk II and the other on a late one?

Then, you have the FAV, FoMoCo and JWA plates; I presume the FAV plate would be found on the early Mk 1s and the JWA plate on the Gulf-era cars, but what about the FoMoCo plate?

Thanks!

(Only about $110,000 away from having a Superformance Mk 1 and thus wanting one of your plates now, as motivation!)

Mike

The answer you seek will need to be supplied by someone with a great deal more knowledge than I have. I've become absolutely bewildered trying to figure out what is the "correct" plate for every application. In the research I've done , there seems to be no hard and fast rule. None of the original cars were the same in every respect. I've seen plates on original cars that didn't seem to belong, or were in odd locations, yet they were original (to the owner's best knowledge). I'd like to see some of the forum members with experience in this area to post their opinions of what plate goes in what location on what car. One thing I can say with relative certainty is that the JWA plate and FoMoCo plate are usually seen as a set.

Back