Tornado cars

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Andy, my curiosity has gotten the better of me and I have the following questions. Can you advise how many Tornado GT40's have made it across the pond to the US? Scott's car is number 875 Tornado has produced. Is that the total of all the cars Tornado produced or is the 875th Tornado GT40? The reasons I ask is that out of all the car shows, events etc. that I have been to I have yet to see a Tornado car in the flesh. Also, outside of Scott's recent enthusiasm I don't believe there was much of a presence on the forum.

To all, how many forum members have a Tornado GT40. I would like to see one in the flesh. Thanks

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My Tornado in California (albeit before the 8 stack fuel injection):

Attachments

• DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 757
  • Headers.jpg
    Headers.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 764

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Tim, your car looks beautiful. Little too far for me to travel though. Anyone else with aTornado in the US? Preferably the east coast.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Gregg

I do not know how many of our cars are in the US. This is our 19th year of GT40 production and besides those we have shipped direct to customers I know of a number that have been shipped after they have been built by customers in the UK.

Scotts car is the 875th TS40 we have produced.

Its true that we have not had a large presence on the Forum to date. We were producing GT40 replicas for many years before the forum even existed.

Because of this we do not rely on the interest generated about our products on the forum for sales unlike other new companies.

Over the years we have collected a number of contracts for fixed quantities of cars per year.

Anything else is a bonus.

Scotts job at Tornado USA is to raise our profile in the US. As the Forum is US based this is a big part of the job.

Tim

Nice job on your car but I think your rear tyres are worn out.

Thanks

Andy

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Andy, these are a fresh "DOT" stamped set and apparently the cops here have a hard time accepting these Hoosiers as well. Loads of fun when it's wet:lol:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Andy, thanks for the reply. Congratulations on producing 875 TS40's. If my memory serves me, that is more than double what GTD sold in its existence. Reason would stand though, that with all the TS40's produced, there would be more of a presence on the forum. Look at how many GTD owners are here. Would love to see one of your cars in the flesh.

I don't see anything wrong with using the forum for advertising your wares. Isn't that what you are doing as well as with Scott? He's doing a great job as I, as well as others are aware of your car as well as the anticipated re-release of your monocoque.

Keith

So what are you saying Gregg, that Tornado's production figures are possibly exaggerated? To what end?

As there are still many unfinished KVA's and GTD's still sitting around in boxes waiting to be started, it stands to reason that there would be a lot of Tornados too, plus there are many many owners who don't subscribe to this or any other forum.

I would hate to guess just how many Cobra replicas there are in this tiny country of ours (by comparison) but even though I travel 50K miles yearly, I'll bet I see, hmmmmm, 2? As for GT40 replicas, I've seen ONE in 2years and he was broken down (Maxiboy). Just 'cos you don't see 'em, doesn't mean they ain't there.

It would be interesting to correlate the number of kits/chassis ever produced in total with the number of finished cars worldwide. I'll bet there's a huge gap...

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
So what are you saying Gregg, that Tornado's production figures are possibly exaggerated? To what end?

As there are still many unfinished KVA's and GTD's still sitting around in boxes waiting to be started, it stands to reason that there would be a lot of Tornados too, plus there are many many owners who don't subscribe to this or any other forum.

I would hate to guess just how many Cobra replicas there are in this tiny country of ours (by comparison) but even though I travel 50K miles yearly, I'll bet I see, hmmmmm, 2? As for GT40 replicas, I've seen ONE in 2years and he was broken down (Maxiboy). Just 'cos you don't see 'em, doesn't mean they ain't there.

It would be interesting to correlate the number of kits/chassis ever produced in total with the number of finished cars worldwide. I'll bet there's a huge gap...

Keith there is a lot of truth to your words. I have no evidence as to whether Andy's figure is exaggerated or not. He should know how many cars he has sold, not me. I do find it interesting though that if Tornado has produced 875 GT40s that there has not been more exposure on the forum. By the owner or otherwise. And yes, I am aware that not everyone who owns a car subscribes to GT40s.com but look at the odds. So far one member has come forward. Nice car too.

As far as the Cobra's go, you've only seen 2 in a year? You have to be pulling my leg right, unless of course you do most of your driving at night in the red light district?:)

"Just 'cos you don't see 'em, doesn't mean they ain't there." -True. Now, are you responsible for inviting Kent G. Anderson (futurevisonariescom) to the forum?? Has he made you a follower??:):)

For those interested, TS40#875 will be shown here almost every Monday night starting early this summer;

Marks Classic Cruise

For Gregg that will be less than a 2 hr drive, depending on traffic that evening.

I hope to see some of the northeast US forum members there.

Cheers,
Scott

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Scott, let me know when it is up and running. Only a two hour drive. Give me the address so I can mapquest it.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Scott, your WRONG. Trip is 2 hours and 1 minute.:):) Let me know when your car is running. Are you closer to me than Granby? Might be easier for me to drop by your chateau when the car arrives.

Sorry Scott, your WRONG. Trip is 2 hours and 1 minute.:):) Let me know when your car is running. Are you closer to me than Granby? Might be easier for me to drop by your chateau when the car arrives.

Probably be only 1hr 46min if you by-pass the 'red light' area!:)

Gregg,

That is if you observe the speed limit.

You know what I mean, (I 684...Six lanes, 84 MPH)

Granby is closer and the car show is way better.

S

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Gregg,

That is if you observe the speed limit.

You know what I mean, (I 684...Six lanes, 84 MPH)

Granby is closer and the car show is way better.

S

And there are a LOT of sweet roads in the neighborhood (at least there were when I grew up nearby).

Chris

Gregg

You are correct. The number of GTDs that found their way to the US seems to far exceed
the number of Tornados on our side of the pond. I did see a really nice white Tornado
at Lime Rock years ago running dual quads...in fact it made the cover of Kit Car Magazine.

There are probably other factors.....but I attributed the discrepancy on the GTDs superior
dealer presence in the US. The Tornado rep in Connecticutt at the time was difficult to do business with. I'm suspect Scott will have more success. You can sense his customer-centric attitude.

MikeD

Mike you have it exactly right! Back in the old days I talked to many people who had an interest in a replica GT40. They thought the Tornado looked to be a good piece but found the rep to be less than helpful and thus were turned off. As I recall Tornado gave up on this rep and elected to walk away from active pursuit of this market until they could do it properly. At long last they seem to have found a truly interested and motivated guy to carry their banner. Maybe Andy could elaborate, but I think he is a polite man.

Back