"GT40" for sale.

Cliff,

I think you should go for it.

Their is another guy that just signed up to the forum with a real GT40 wheel you could pick up pretty cheap, and then all you would have to do is look for the other 3 wheels.......and of course those Gulf Team Colors in a can.

:confused:Bye the way, doesn't your CAV need a stablemate??????

Looks hot, baby, hot hot hot!!!!

This is the same body I started with made by L.A. Exotics and later T-3. I later sold it and went to the KVA body. It might not be to bad if you made a new chassis for it. I can't see it selling for much more though?

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got to make a GT40s.com FAQ and put that question in it. Probably be number one "I'm looking for the blueprints for a GT40, can someone send me some?"

R

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I understand that the original ford motor company gt40 blue prints exist. Does any one know how to obtain these plans?

This rumor is like that of the pot of gold at the end of every rainbow...

I would be willing to bet that the blueprints do exist somewhere. Just like a pot of gold. Attempts to obtain either would most likely be futile..

GT 40 Drawings

The GT 40 drawings do exist, a friend of mine has a set of original GT 40 drawings, however, if you don't have an original car and a real need for them you don't get to see them. They are like serial numbers of shelbys that cross reference to original body numbers, very closely guarded. He has those also. No, I don't give out his contact info without his permission. Hint he did write a book on GT 40's, Wayne

Always the elusive and mysterious existence of the original gt40 blueprints that haunts me forever. Want to reproduce the glory, want to feel the sheet metal as I work it to exact precision laid out by the genius forefathers that burned their greatness into the legacy of automobile history forever. I want to feel what they felt,
The original prints, the holy grail, you say you know of their existence but you do not have them. You say your friend has them but it’s a secret and so is his name. You say he wrote a book on Gt40s but the name of the book is also a secret, I don’t get it.
Through sleepless nights my mind burns for the elusive prints that will show the way to glory
But like catching a butterfly that is always just out of reach the prints never materialize. Vanishing like clouds in the sky, like castles made of sand . Ah the prints, my precious.

Steve,
The bit I dont get is this; Why not study the car- read as much as you can and draw up the plans yourself, there is enough info scattered through this site for you to do that, but at the end of the day it will always be a replica and only as accurate as your ability to interpret that info into accurate drawings from which to transform sheetmetal into chassis parts. I have looked at some chassis fabricated from original plans etc and while it would be nice to have one purely for just that reason, there are also good reasons to build a simpler version as well.
Should you draw up a set of accurate plans that anyone can use to build a car its pretty obvious that you would have a ready market for them going by the number of enquiries similar to yours. Then you could deal with the litigation etc that might follow when some builder did not weld part A to Part B correctly and has a prang. The homebuilt A/C industry has about four pages of legal mumbo jumbo with all plan sets sold that states that you the constructor shall in no way hold the plans provider ( or their relatives /dependants ) responsible for any errors or omissions & you the constructor assume all responsibility for any incident that the aircraft may be involved in. I would imagine that a similar scenario is behind the lack of public availability of GT40 plansets.There is a common thread to all of those enquiries, they seem to fall on deaf ears ( or perhaps they get lots of pm's from undercover plans purveyers:)) Other than that approach some of the outfits that will build you one and dig deep into your money pit and be prepared to wait!

Jac Mac

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
One thing that has always amazed me is this obsession with so called "REAL"
GT40's.

The original cars were not that well made as they were race cars and their life expectancy was not long.
They were never rust proofed in any way.
I dont think there were any two cars exactly the same as they were always a work in progress to increase speed, performance, handling and any other thing that kept on cropping up.

Creature comforts were not ever a consideration.

IMHO the GT40's we are producing today are far more real in terms of power, handling, reliability, finish, and driveability than the originals.

All this is not to take away from the accomplishments of the originals but I personally prefer what we are doing today with our cars but am also very thankful for the original cars that broke so much new ground in its day.

The amazing thing about the GT40 is that it has remained such an iconic car for so many years and even in this day and age so many people know and recognise the car even though they may not even have been born when the car first appeared.

For most people once they see a GT40 it becomes etched in their minds and they never forget it.
I know for myself the first time I saw one was in 1969 and I never forgot it right up until I built mine.
I dont think I can recall any other car that draws so much interest as a GT40.

I feel very honoured to be allowed to have the opportunity to join the GT40 community and all the wonderful people in this forum.

Dimi

Steve,
The bit I dont get is this; Why not study the car- read as much as you can and draw up the plans yourself, there is enough info scattered through this site for you to do that, but at the end of the day it will always be a replica and only as accurate as your ability to interpret that info into accurate drawings from which to transform sheetmetal into chassis parts. I have looked at some chassis fabricated from original plans etc and while it would be nice to have one purely for just that reason, there are also good reasons to build a simpler version as well.
Should you draw up a set of accurate plans that anyone can use to build a car its pretty obvious that you would have a ready market for them going by the number of enquiries similar to yours. Then you could deal with the litigation etc that might follow when some builder did not weld part A to Part B correctly and has a prang. The homebuilt A/C industry has about four pages of legal mumbo jumbo with all plan sets sold that states that you the constructor shall in no way hold the plans provider ( or their relatives /dependants ) responsible for any errors or omissions & you the constructor assume all responsibility for any incident that the aircraft may be involved in. I would imagine that a similar scenario is behind the lack of public availability of GT40 plansets.There is a common thread to all of those enquiries, they seem to fall on deaf ears ( or perhaps they get lots of pm's from undercover plans purveyers:)) Other than that approach some of the outfits that will build you one and dig deep into your money pit and be prepared to wait!

Jac Mac
Yo Mac,
My pockets are not deep so thats out.
"Study the car- read as much as you can and draw up the plans yourself, there is enough info scattered through this site for you to do that".
Try it, what gage is the sheet metal for each piece, how wide are the rockers how long etc. What are the degrees of angle, the radiuses and circumferences and rolls, how tall is it what are the dimensions of each piece, where does each spot weld and rivet go, etc. Build it from random isometric 2 D pics would only derive at some kind of blatant wana be boxes on wheels.
Take dimensions from and original, doubtful to find any owners who wouldn’t mind the disassembling of their two million dollar car so I could take measurements over the weekend, that’s out .
Went to Ford that’s out, this guy has them but he’s not selling that’s out, that guy has them but he’s not around he’s out , spec an original that’s out.
Thanks Mac, but it just aint happening.
Steve Peckler, In search of the Holy Grail.

One thing that has always amazed me is this obsession with so called "REAL"
GT40's.

The original cars were not that well made as they were race cars and their life expectancy was not long.
They were never rust proofed in any way.
I dont think there were any two cars exactly the same as they were always a work in progress to increase speed, performance, handling and any other thing that kept on cropping up.

Creature comforts were not ever a consideration.

IMHO the GT40's we are producing today are far more real in terms of power, handling, reliability, finish, and driveability than the originals.

All this is not to take away from the accomplishments of the originals but I personally prefer what we are doing today with our cars but am also very thankful for the original cars that broke so much new ground in its day.

The amazing thing about the GT40 is that it has remained such an iconic car for so many years and even in this day and age so many people know and recognise the car even though they may not even have been born when the car first appeared.

For most people once they see a GT40 it becomes etched in their minds and they never forget it.
I know for myself the first time I saw one was in 1969 and I never forgot it right up until I built mine.
I dont think I can recall any other car that draws so much interest as a GT40.

I feel very honoured to be allowed to have the opportunity to join the GT40 community and all the wonderful people in this forum.

Dimi

Well said Dimi

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I understand that the original ford motor company gt40 blue prints exist. Does any one know how to obtain these plans?

Found this by doing a search...

Re: Chassis Drawings/Blueprints
Gents,

Thanks for the posts. I've got some good news and bad news on the drawing front. The good news is that Dave Brown of Classic Car Developments in New Zealand, having just completed the third, and completely accurate, hand built monocoque in his shop is currently producing a set of drawings for the more convicted among us home engineering types. They'll come with photos of a chassis in construction etc. He's taking his time completing them as they'll serve as his definative workshop drawings for his business as well as for sale.

If you're interested, you can write to him in NZ. However, considering the amount of research and effort that has gone into producing a full set of legible engineering drawings, there are those who would consider them expensive(depending on your viewpoint I suppose).

I am going to purchase a set as I'm set on producing a modified chassis for my replica of #1074 (Gulf #10, Le Mans '68). All I need now is to get my current sports car sold to make way for the project (and help fund it).

The bad news is that I'm still putting the new engine in my current car so it'll be another month before I can even consider selling it.

Ah well, no rush.

Stew Staudinger

Soon to be handbuilt monocoque
1968 Gulf #10 reproduction
302 w/downdraft throttle bodies (Weberish) [email protected]

Hi guys

I have seen the original Ford Slough drawings (hand drawn in ink and pencil) in there original drawing cabinet here in the UK, I also know that there is a second set of original Ford USA drawings in the US, Superformance purchased copies of these to build their GT.

The drawings Dave Brown has were from an english chap that measured an original chassis.
You will see that some of his tubs have a fuel injection pump cut out in the engine bulk head.

regards

Chris.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
While it may seem like a "funny" GT40 now,when I was a teenager in the 60s...I wanted one. Now....I can see where the differences are, although they are smaller than you would think. The windshield and door lines are the main ones, because of the use of production glass, the nose is missing the venting as well as the lights/brake scoops around the leading edge. I'd like to see one next to a more accurate rendition.
The comments about it being the T-3 body are probably spot on, I noticed it in the write-up in Kit Car several years ago, they did add some changes to make it more close to the original lines. It became Melson GT. I don't think they make it any more either. Melson Motor Sports
I'm actually looking at one locally that had never had the window openings cut out, as is the case with many kit cars of the era, unfinished/barely started. It will give my apprentice some work to help him develop some more skills. With all the nice GT40s available it seems odd, although the mid section is pretty close. It was a multiple piece body with the center section that included the tub,doors and both front and rear clamshells. It was pretty cool in the 60s. It appears that Kellison was ahead of his time since his Cobra body has been used by several companies and this one has also gotten around.

Last edited:
Yo Mac,
My pockets are not deep so thats out.
"Study the car- read as much as you can and draw up the plans yourself, there is enough info scattered through this site for you to do that".
Try it, what gage is the sheet metal for each piece, how wide are the rockers how long etc. What are the degrees of angle, the radiuses and circumferences and rolls, how tall is it what are the dimensions of each piece, where does each spot weld and rivet go, etc. Build it from random isometric 2 D pics would only derive at some kind of blatant wana be boxes on wheels.
Take dimensions from and original, doubtful to find any owners who wouldn’t mind the disassembling of their two million dollar car so I could take measurements over the weekend, that’s out .
Went to Ford that’s out, this guy has them but he’s not selling that’s out, that guy has them but he’s not around he’s out , spec an original that’s out.
Thanks Mac, but it just aint happening.
Steve Peckler, In search of the Holy Grail.

Steve,
Hopefully without wanting to offend you , you need to look harder. What gauge is the sheetmetal- page 190 Ronnie Spains book- GT40-, in description of - GT/104-- 22gauge-- 24gauge on the lightweights, get a copy- Read it! Check out 'Gorans' site along with posts he has made. The following dwg came from this site.

Last edited:
Back