4 post lift

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Anyone else looking to buy a 4 post lift. I narrowed my selection down to an All American Lift - http://allamericanlifts.com/page5.html. It is the same design as the Backyard buddy, 1000lb greater lifting capacity and less money.

Comments welcome and if anyone else is in the market, perhaps we can try and negotiate a group purchase.

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have a group of 4-6 Pantera guys in the Reno-Tahoe area that are actively looking into a group buy. There's a lot of discussion on lifts on the PI Pantera board and quite a few members with the Direct Lift Pro-Park 7. Despite being built in China it has no bad raps at all and can be had for the measly sum of $1695, complete with 3 drip trays, jack tray and castors. They offered us a $100 discount on the group buy. Personally to get the drive thru width I was looking at the Pro Park 9 (9000lb model) at $2495 as the Pantera GT5 is 82" fender to fender at the rear. Look them up at Greg Smith Equipment Sales Inc. - The lift professionals with quality automotive equipment at discount prices.

If you want an 'all american' manufactured lift try Superlift Car Lifts, Auto Lifts, Motorcycle Lifts and other Garage Accessories from SuperLifts.com They just quoted me $2400 delivered cost to Reno on a min 4 purhcase for the 7000lb lift with the same free goodies as Direct Lift. There 7000lb lift has a wider drive through so would meet my GT5 needs.

Remember on an FOB price quote shipping is a significant additional chunk of change as these lifts have a shipping weight of ~2300lbs.

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm shopping lifts as well but I seem to be drawn to the two post models. I really want one so that I can work on the suspension on the car. Pros and cons of four versus two?

Ron Earp

Admin
Any supporting info on that for us "never used a lift before and have crawled around with jacks and jack stands all our life" crowd?

With Four poster you can fab up some roll along/clip on axle/suspension /body stands to allow removal either out the top or underneath of any component, try removing any major component on a two poster & you create a dangerous balance problem. I run cars etc on 4 posters to check for driveline issues- do preliminary wheel alignment- check for oil leaks etc, none of which can be done with any degree of safety on a two poster, in fact I know of a couple of guys who were badly injured from cars falling off 2 posters in my home town. Back your race trailer right up to the 4 poster & roll the car in at 3 oclock in the morning- dont have to get the wife out of bed to help push & wont cause any agro with the neighbours. Sorry I cannot think of one single 'good' reason to have a 2 post with the sort of work that I envisage you would do.

I own 2 2 posters and am happy with them but they are for service work and for that reason I would not own anything else.
Never had any fall off, but I have arm locks.

I do agree with you jac that the 4 poster has its advantages for set up work.
I know when you are looking for noises or you want to make a quick adjustment you have to get out of the car and put the legs under and after 2-3 times it is a pain.

If I was at home in a garage I would most likely go the 4 post as it is safer to load , meaning your wife and kids with minimal training could operate it.

Jim

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Personally I prefer 4 post lifts, I haven't used the rolling jacks I see on the lifts these days but when I was in the business in England we used tall jack stands to support the front or rear of the car and just lowered the lift some to allow working on suspension. Maybe not considered as safe as the rolling jacks these days but sure is a lot less expensive. The 2 post lifts we had always felt unsafe especially if you were tugging on something. Couple of other things to consider are that most of the 4 post lifts out there now do not need to be bolted down and can be moved around with or without a car on them with the castor kits...so now you have something you can move as and if required.

Another benefit of a 4 post lift is that you could use it as your storage loft lift (which is what I intend to do) to get to your second floor, just cut a suitably sized hole in the ceiling. OK, I know it won't go all they way to second floor level but may, at least, be within lifting distance or you could manufacture some kind of removable raised platform.

Cheers,

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Pros and cons of four versus two?

Over and above the reasons already mentioned, for the home garage a 4 post is much simpler to install, in fact most don't even require bolting to the floor (and they even come with castors to wheel around), although manufactureres will recommend at least two bolts to stop creep with multiple drive on/drive off. The 2 post lifts usually require some extensive anchoring. I used a commercial 2 post at our local tech session and the car just didn't feel solid, I could rock it in the air, although I have to admit access was easy.

Secondly, in the home garage many lifts are used to increase storage space; I wouldn't want to park a second car under a 2 post lift and wouldn't want the suspension dangling with no load for long periods either.

Any supporting info on that for us "never used a lift before and have crawled around with jacks and jack stands all our life" crowd?

Ron, the four posters are great for storing two (not-so-tall) cars in one stall but aren't as handy for all round repair and maintenance work IMHO because the wheels/suspension are obviously still under compression so you're back to using jacks and such for brakes and suspension work.

The four posters tend to be more stable (four v. two posts) than the two posts - and, with the two post you have to guess a little about the CG of the car as well when elevating. The two posters require a decent slab as each post has to support twice the weight and there can be some torsional loads too, both laterally and longitudinally (where the car isn't exactly on its CG) - your cement bolts need to go into something really solid and thick. You can make a two post lift very stable if you tie the top of the posts into a roof ridge beam or something similarly structurally beefy. Finally, if the floor isn't exactly level then for the two post you'll need to raise the posts, square them up and then build a dam around the base and pour and appropriate leveling mixture.

In my new garage I'm planning on installing both a two post and a four post to gain the benefits of both as each has distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I have owned both, but last garage I kitted out I went for a 2 Post, twin ram hydraulic model.
4 posters take up a bit more space and do restrict access to some areas of the car, even with twin jacking beams.
The spec on my last 2 post required 10" bolts into a reinforced concrete floor, as for stabiity I think you can make any ramp rock a bit, although the design of a four post gives it a natural advantage.

Make sure if you do get a 2 post that the ramp if any between the posts is low, and you get 2 stage pads for the ends of the arm so they can go low etc, a must for sports car work.

I have seen a car come off a two poster, and a 4 poster trapeze, I think you can break anything if you try hard enough, the 4 poster came down when someone put it drive with the engine running whilst at full height, the car managed to move a couple of feet into the endstop of the ramp, the inertia was enough. Although the ramp collapsed it didnt do that much damage to the car though....
Anyone whos spent time under ramps develops a six sense for getting out from under them if you are not happy.

I have done loads of engine changes on 2 posters, you consider this when first supporting the car as you move the relative centre etc with engine removal, also find them easier to get a crane under.

I think if you were new to a 2 Poster I would recommend a bit of training, not as straightforward as 4 poster.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Joe T

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm not decided one way or the other.

I've got two racer friends who run shops and have both types of lifts. They suggest a well-done two post with bracing and since I'm pouring the concrete shortly also indicated that it could be extremely well anchored. Neither are worried about their two posts with the types of cars we're messing with, under 2500 lbs, nor do they worry when they put heavy road cars on them.

The only thing I see pulling out of a car that would unbalance it is the engine. If I did that I'd only do it with the car up in the air about a foot or so, just to clear the hoist. I don't think I'd get a lot of movement at that height. But, I'm new to this and I respect your guy's opinions about the stability.

I can certainly see where the four posters are more stable and can be useful for car storage. No matter what, car storage at one point or another would be useful.

However, working on the car is my major criteria and the hardest work I do on the car, the work that requires the most jacking, bending, lifting, crawling, and so on is suspension work. And a four post doesn't seem to do well in this area.

Still not decided. I'm going to visit Carl's and Rex's and have a look at their setups with cars on them and check it out in person. I'm also going to visit the lift vendor located here in Greensboro that does the installs and has working models of what they offer.

I don't imagine that I'll get to do this but once......best make a good decision.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Julian, Is there someone over at the Pantera forum you can put me in contact with to possibly discuss the lift selection. It is not cost effective timewise for me to start joining all different car forums to try and assemble a group buy. I just contacted a member on the Corvette forum who is also looking for a lift. Thanks Gregg

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter

I don't imagine that I'll get to do this but once......best make a good decision.

Ron, I agree. Do it once and right the first time. For me that means an American made lift. Yes, it costs more and even though my life insurance is up to date, I want to see my kids grow up. I have a friend with a Dannmar import - $1,800.00 delivered. He advised that he is happy with it and then proceeds to tell me of an incident where two posts on one side either failed to lock or failed all together. Almost dumped his car into the garage wall. Have heard other stories of composite pulleys shattering. You get what you pay for. My life is priceless - well I guess that depends upon who you talk to. I think my wife has put a price on it. Ron as you and I discussed, buy the rolling air jacks to do your suspension work. In the end it is your choice and you need to be happy.

Ron Earp

Admin
My life is priceless - well I guess that depends upon who you talk to. I think my wife has put a price on it. Ron as you and I discussed, buy the rolling air jacks to do your suspension work.

Good one! :)

Where are these rolling air jacks? Are they integrated into the lift? I looked at a couple of lift sites, but, I didn't see them - blind man I am.

The American Lift Company used to be a sponsor of GT40s.com and extend a discount to members. However, last contacts to that company went unanswered and I think it changed hands as indicated on your link, if it was the same ACL. Used to have a banner advert like this. American Custom Lifts

Attachments

• ACL.jpg
    ACL.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 716

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Good one! :)

Where are these rolling air jacks? Are they integrated into the lift? I looked at a couple of lift sites, but, I didn't see them - blind man I am.

Ron, should be link below to a rolling jack setup on ebay. Various prices. Can go a couple of ways. Purchase a jack tray, essentially a heavy steel plate which rests in between the car ramps and you can slide up and down the legnth of the ramp fron/back. You would then use a jack(s) to raise the car. Other way is a complete setup like below. I hope the link works.

eBay Motors: Four Post Lift Rolling Jack 4 post Car Lifts Jacks (item 290203086837 end time Feb-07-08 12:49:53 PST)

All,
Good topic...
The question I have involves using a 4 post lift as a storage solution as well as a service lift.Is it possible to use a standard 4 poster in a normal height garage.I want to stack two cars.The gt40 on the bottom and a beck 550 spyder up top.They are both pretty low in profile,but the garage door is the rollup/track type.Anyone doing this?

Eric Johnson

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
All,
Good topic...
The question I have involves using a 4 post lift as a storage solution as well as a service lift.Is it possible to use a standard 4 poster in a normal height garage.I want to stack two cars.The gt40 on the bottom and a beck 550 spyder up top.They are both pretty low in profile,but the garage door is the rollup/track type.Anyone doing this?

Eric Johnson

Hi Eric,

I've done it on a garage with a 9' ceiling. It's basically down to the total height of both vehicles plus a few inches of ramp height and breathing room. So for two 40s it would be say 84" plus say 10 to 12" would be 96" or 8'. The only thing that may get in the way is the track for the garage door, you need to check the width of the track and find a lift that has pillars set width enough apart to clear it, that is unless you have enough room to have the lift far enough away from the door to clear the track. You can still use the lift to work on but not standing up, I used a low garage stool on castors to work underneath..

Cheers,

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Julian, Is there someone over at the Pantera forum you can put me in contact with to possibly discuss the lift selection. It is not cost effective timewise for me to start joining all different car forums to try and assemble a group buy. I just contacted a member on the Corvette forum who is also looking for a lift. Thanks Gregg

Gregg,

You can view posts etc. on the PI forum without registering, but photo's won't show. Here's a direct link to one of the better threads on lifts for information(Car lifts - Topic Powered by eve community

I can get a PM or e-mail to anyone on the forum on your behalf if necessary.

I'm working directly with a local Pantera parts vendor here in town for our group buy as we are going to drop ship to his facility. We have split up duties contacting various manufacturers in our spare time. I'd be happy to act as an intermediary with you if that suits or I can give you a direct contact to the Pantera vendor. My e-mail is a hotmail.com address using julian_kift....

Our main advantage is cost saving on a single bulk shipment and to reship out again would likely eat up most of the savings. However, the more people we get together as a group, the more a vendor will likely deal on that aspect and multiple shipments. The Superlift sales guy has called and e-mailed me regularly to follow up and has shown the most interest in making it work. Superlift are also the American manufacturer, which adds a dimension of security and pride.

This thread reminds me of when I installed an alarm system in my house.

In the beginning, I designed a system that had each window and door, along with inside motion and outside motion detection sensors. The alarm guy said it was over kill. The alarm guy was a good communicator (or I was a good listener), because I eventually deleated some of the stuff from the system, and still ended up with a good system. The alarm guy eventually told me that regardless of what components are in the system, and how complex the system is, the homeowner has to feel safe when the system is on, and they are away from their home. He said the system is only as good as you feel it will be for you when it is on.

You ask "what the hell does an alarm system" have to do with car lifts?

Well, its easy. Both 2 post and 4 post lifts have advantages and disadvantages. Once you have analyzed the pros and cons, it all settles down to what YOU as an individual feels comfortable about using. Ease of use, safety, cost, size, ect., all will come into play when you make your decision.

But the important part is........when you are working on a car, or when you have one car up and one below, and you are out away from your shop, the lift that you have decided on will be the one that best suites your needs, and provides that safe feeling a person needs in order to be content on knowing you selected the right lift for your needs.

Sooooooooo, doing homework is important. But having that safe feeling is pudding on the pie.rockonsmile

Back