GT40s for sale

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe it's my ignorance or something but it appears that just lately not only are there a lot of 40s coming up for sale but there's a few that aren't selling and prices are dropping. A year or so ago it appeared that every 40 that came up for sale was gone within weeks....now not so much.

Is this due to the US economy, a glut of 40s hitting the market or just the way the market trend goes for these cars?

I would be interested to know your thoughts as most of you have far more experience with these cars than most.

Thanks,

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There's more of them being built so it only stands to reason that there would be more of them on the market. Certainly that will impact the sales price - but I don't believe that the number of cars available alone would drive the price down substantially.

Look at all the other economic indicators and I believe you'll have the answer..

I don't think it is economy driven as anyone who buys this type of car is getting a toy or adding to his collection . So they are using disposable income for their purchase. I just ordered the new Backdraft CAV GT. I was set on a CAV GT & looked @ some used ones but when U compair the new 100 series cars with all the upgrades & the Backdraft car come with even more standard features it made sense to go new.Cav does offer all the new upgrades to also fit the older model cars.

Having just recently sold an exotic, I count myself lucky. Right now, I think the market for toys is really low, at least in part driven by media hype. But it is a great time to buy if you have your ducks in a row. I think people who last year splurged and bought a toy are now willing to take a hit to get rid of it.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
IMHO, the market for rare and unusual Euro and competition cars is still on the climb aided by the weak $US. The market for higher-volume cars, American muscle and replicas has definitely weakened. The availability of newer and improved replicas certainly hurts the resale of older ones.

The buying market for specialty automobiles is small. Especially if you are in the over $100K price range. It drastically lowers even more when you climb into higher values.

And along with the higher priced vehicles, comes more sofisticated tire kickers. Many of them have good stories about their neighbors having a car just like yours though. Maybe I should write a book about "My neighbors cars".

It might offset some of the costs involved with trying to sell a car today.:burnout:

Cheers,

Back