Help indentifing left hand shift, left hand drive

I saw a GT 40 kit today that is for sale, but was surprised to see it was left hand drive, and left hand shift on the sill. What's this about? Why that configuration? Yes I am new, and this is my first post, so your help is appreciated.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I saw a GT 40 kit today that is for sale, but was surprised to see it was left hand drive, and left hand shift on the sill. What's this about? Why that configuration? Yes I am new, and this is my first post, so your help is appreciated.

There's 2 basic types of shifter systems. Linkage and cable. Linkage is more or less rigid metal connections from front to back. Cable is just that, flexible sheathed cables between mechanisms front and back.

Cable can be anywhere but linkage usually works better if it's on the sill because it's hard to linkage around the engine when coming from the center. This is probably a linkage type system.

Done properly they are both about the same as far as shift quality. The cable setup is much more flexible as far as routing and placement. Linkage usually entails designing most everything else around where the linkage is best placed.

There are at least two GTD with LHD left hand shift that I know of and one of them is mine. I decided to go that route in order to give more room in the cockpit and make installation of the shifter basically a straight shot. Yes it's only a few inches of seat width, but when you are spatially challenged like myself, every inch counts. When all is done, I suspect that a left hand shift is significantly more expensive than a center shift becasue of the chassis mods required and cost of the linkage itself.

Brian

Thanks for the reply, I guess it will take some getting use to shifting with the left hand, but looks like it will work.

Thanks for the reply, I guess it will take some getting use to shifting with the left hand, but looks like it will work.

That's what i plan to do with mine... (when i finally get it)... it'll be far more straight forward for UK drivers to get used to that set up as we shift with the left hand anyway.

US, I saw this car in Atlanta, most of the heavy work looked to have been done, needs paint, glass, not sure what he kit is, but the shifter threw me.

Back