Where in the world to purchase?

Guys,

OK so it's my first post so be gentle. As much as I'd like to build a car from scratch I dont have the time, although maintaining has lots of appeal. So, I really like the look of the SPF MKII mixed with a Rouch 427SR or FE? and a ZFQ etc. I have a mountain more investigation to go but you get the idea. But even before I get there I am getting wide variances on price.

Now I know that some prices will be for rolling chassis minus engine/trans etc.

The following site here in the UK http://www.gt40continuation.co.uk/GT40_superformance_shelbydaytonacobra.html
is showing £85K ~ $165,000 US on road, :sad: I have heard of £100K ~ $195K US on road in UK also :sad::sad:

The commemorative version is $125K US ~ £64K for rolling chassis :sad:

A post on this forum
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/24847-new-shelby-gt40-s.html
someone mentioned they paid new $65K US ~ £33K :thumbsup:

Noticed these used SPF's on the market
Superformance GT40 for sale
$100K US ~ £52K :undecided: but not my colour (black) and RHD is absolute necessity.

The car will end up in Australia (I shudder to think what the rep there will ask for) and the Aussie Govt will make sure they take as much as they can (makes my blood boil) which is another topic.

But what of these prices where in the world is waldo? Or my GT40 for that matter? Where is the cheapest place to buy? The economy going the way it is and imminent bad times ahead what to do? I'm thinking buy/build in US and ship to Aus. Ideas?

Vincent,

I mentioned I paid $65k for my SPF rolling chassis. I was one of the first batch to order and got a lower price. That price has since climbed to $79,900 for a while and is currently on promotion at $74,500. This is for a rolling chassis with no drivetrain. My car completed is about $105,000 in cost delivered with Roush 427SR and ZF. Just to be clear.

Regards,
Mike

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
G'day Vincent

You mention wanting to do a scratch build but don't have the time so how about you get yourself a nice GTD in the UK for around the £25 - 30K mark, drive it around and when you get to Australia you can then pull it down and fix up anything you don't like to your satisfaction. Probably the most cost effective solution for you as you get to drive it straight away, learn about the car and the things that you don't like, it's RHD, cost is reasonable and as there are 2 Australian manufacturers available there is plenty of scope for help when you are in the re-building phase.

My 0.02c worth :burnout:

Bill

Mike,

Thanks for clearing that up, that seems to be reasonable from what I can gather as opposed to some of the UK prices.

Bill,

That is a good idea and financially makes alot of sense. The only issue is I was after the MKII shape with possibly a big block and not sure the GTD was made in that flavour. I will although take this into consideration. Nice to see another guy from Melb on the forum also, I believe there may be quite a few.

Last edited:
Vincent, you might find that it's wise to buy the car in Aus if you intend on keeping it there - there will likely be substantial importation taxes along with some substantial work getting a car past the local safety/inspection process. I suspect that anything you might save in shopping around across manufacturers and countries will quickly get eaten up by these two considerations. There will likely be a good supply of GT40s (perhaps not the SPF, yet) in Aus to choose from.

Vincent, the first thing I would do is to find out the requirements for importation into Australia. If you can own the vehicle for 12 months before moving to Australia, then you can bring the vehicle in as a personal import. Once in Australia, you just need to comply with registration requirements for personal imports, which are a lot less restrictive than for normal vehicles i.e. roadworthy & meet bare minimum safety standards.

For more information on personal imports see here: Importing Vehicles to Australia

Then enjoy your GT40 shopping...

Last edited:
Cliff,

Your not wrong it is expensive to import into Australia. They are merciless ba^*$%!ds. For most cars Australian Import Duty of 10% is levied on the Customs Value (which doesnt seem to be very well defined, likely to be the purchase price). GST (VAT) of 10% is levied on the Customs Value + Duty + Shipping Cost. And because it is over a certain amount and you need to be punished for working to get what you want and not conforming to you need to pay wait for it... Luxury Car Tax (is 25% levied on vehicles with a value in excess of $57KAUD on the amount above that rate but including the two taxes above so tax on tax!!). The thing I really worried about though is passing the inspection process which again will be subjective.

I had planned to call the SPF agent in Aus (I dont hold that much hope though).

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Vincent, there are two Australian manufactures, GT40 Australia (DRB), go here DRB Sportscars - Ford GT40 & Shelby Cobra and the re-birthed Roaring Forties go here. ::: Roaring Forties I strongly suggest you check them both out, as there can be a lot of hidden costs involved in importing a car and then trying to get it past the local design rules.

Also Craig White is the Australian RCR Rep and would be happy to talk with you.

Last edited:
Guys,

I took uncle Pete's advice and called Craig White last night UK time.

We had close to a three hour chat!

I probably could have gone on further he is just such an easy guy to chat with and his approach is to be commended. I am certain his business will flourish with that type of attitude. I walked away with a wealth of information not just regarding his product but so much more. I would recommend anyone looking to buy in Australia speak with him.

As we discovered I have so many options to consider, hoping to share my thoughts in the future.

Thanks again Craig.

Hi Vincent,

as both Roaring Forties and VASS compliance certification engineer for ICV's and imports I am happy to chat and clarify where I can. Drop me a PM or call on 1300 RFGT40 (+613 9466 4711) if you like,

Regards Paul

Back