Insuring your car

I am not easily impressed - but today I managed to cut Over £100 off my GT40 insurance! I had a quote from Adrian Flux who had insured the car for the past few years at a basic £291 but with bits and bobs like legal assistance, European cover etc added it came to £354.

So having been to the Hagarty sponsored barbecue at the Le Mans classic I phoned them. I spoke to two guys during the day - they both knew what a GT40 was - one had driven down to le Mans in a Triumph Spitfire (which I think deserves a medal) and they were very friendly and efficient coming up with a quote of £221 in a few minutes.

Interestingly they said Hagartys are not too bothered about what a driver does for a living. As a TV journalist this has been a major stumbling block in the past even though these days I don't leave the office.

For instance I tried to insure my friend Kate on my ancient VW campervan recently for a trip to France. She is an on screen reporter and they refused - no doubt worried that she might not be able to handle the power of that 1600 VW flat four....

So I heartily recommend giving Hagartys a try.

Speaking of insurance, I know it is pretty straight forward with a GT-40, but what about those cars that can be licensed as new? Are there even more benefits to licensing as a 1964 as opposed to a 2008 when insurance is brought into the picture?

Any thoughts, anyone, generally?

For instance here in CA, is it, insurance premium wise, beneficial to get an SLC licensed as a 1964 vehicle by putting in an older engine as opposed to a 2008 LS3 engine that will probably result in a tag being issued with a 2008 designation?

Mike Pass

Supporter
I use Hagerty for my GT40 and would recommend them. They don't give you the usual endless and pointless questions about the car and has it been modified! (what is is a standard GT40?) It took me 5 minutes on the phone to arrange everything. They are good value and have been very helpful and efficient when I changed the registration number etc. They seem to understand that we are reasonable people and the last thing we want is our cars damaged and that we take great care of them. They know the enthusiast car world very well and consider the driver rather than which car we actually drive. I am also given to understand that you can drive the car of another driver who is also insured with Hagerty and still be insured fully comprehensive.
Cheers
Mike

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I agree Hagarty were quick to give a quote But MSM were over £100 cheaper for me! (£320 and £420 in round numbers)

But MSM would not give any cover for track days or even parade laps
I believe Hagarty will do this

Join the enthusiasts club and have a look in the last mag - it compared the major UK insurance players

Still pays to shop around

Ian

Back