Loooking for info

I can't tell you any specifics about your kart, but I can tell you that for many years, an hour or so before the race at Le Mans, a group of lucky kids get to drive in a parade of Go-Karts, which are styled after the cars being raced.

If you watch the Steve McQueen movie "Le Mans", at the beginning of the movie, when they are showing random scenes of the activities before the race, there is a brief clip of the kids driving the cars.

When I first went to Le Mans in 2001, the kids drove replicas of a 1960s mid-engined Ferrari (246 SP? 330? I can't remember). I seem to recall seeing photos of them driving GT40s at some point too.

Whether they make all-new karts, or just rebody existing karts, I don't know. At this year's Le Mans Classic, they drove pre-war cars (BMW 328, ERA, etc.)

In any case, I would presume that your car has at least a slight tie-in with Le Mans. :thumbsup:

I just stumbled across more information than you'd ever think possible about these GT40s kid's cars. Photos, spec charts, manufacturer address, US importer contact information, even horsepower/torque and acceleration graphs! Plus photos of the cars in action at Le Mans.

All can be found in Automobile Quarterly Volume 6 No 4 (dated Spring 1968). I'll scan the relevant pages and send them to you; please PM me with your e-mail address.

Back