Is this a Kellison offspring?

Greetings all,
I know you fellows are more into the clones and replicas than the wanna-bees but perhaps you will help me out with your expertise.

I am the one into the Kellison GT40 K that went thru the metamorphosis from LA Exotics to T3,
My research shows that all of these Kellisons ran the corvair windshield and the T3 and LA Exotics cars ran Porsche 914 gear boxes so I would like some of you purists who know more than I do about some of the GT40 looking cars out there to critique this,
This looks like the LA Exotics version as it has the longer headlight buckets,

I admit I got excited and called the seller who wasn't a car guy and knew little about the car he bought it built and thought it has a ZF tranny I told him that sure looks like a 914 tranny and he said no, that if it is porsche it is something higher end and turbo

So guys, is this car one of the Kellison offspring ?
Was I correct that is a Porsche 914 tranny?
I recall a while back on here a T3 was for sale while nice I felt the price in the mid 20's was too high for this type kit car, so this car in the mid 40's isnt that way high or did these type kits jump in value?

Thanks all for the help

eBay Motors: Replica/Kit Makes : GT 40 (item 200289285117 end time Dec-21-08 14:29:22 PST)

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That looks like Randy's T3 demo car...the purple engine bay paint gives it away..

Definetly a 914 transaxle....

I know there is another forum member with a T3 that would take a lot less than that for his car and its a done driver too....

So I was correct about that being a 914 tranny,
I was under the impression the LA exotics came before the T3...?
I dont know of this "Randys demo" you call it did T3 make many cars that you know of?

This auction car has the MK 2 style hood but I have seen two of this Kellison revamped bodies that have the MK 1 style hood radiator ducts and they had 427 style rear deck snorkels do you know if perhaps T3 offered this?

Do you know of any company that would sell me just the front deck lid that has the MK 1 style vents that I could custom fit to my project?

Thanks for the reply
Cheers,
P.

Greetings all,
I know you fellows are more into the clones and replicas than the wanna-bees but perhaps you will help me out with your expertise.

I am the one into the Kellison GT40 K that went thru the metamorphosis from LA Exotics to T3,
My research shows that all of these Kellisons ran the corvair windshield and the T3 and LA Exotics cars ran Porsche 914 gear boxes so I would like some of you purists who know more than I do about some of the GT40 looking cars out there to critique this,
This looks like the LA Exotics version as it has the longer headlight buckets,

I admit I got excited and called the seller who wasn't a car guy and knew little about the car he bought it built and thought it has a ZF tranny I told him that sure looks like a 914 tranny and he said no, that if it is porsche it is something higher end and turbo

So guys, is this car one of the Kellison offspring ?
Was I correct that is a Porsche 914 tranny?
I recall a while back on here a T3 was for sale while nice I felt the price in the mid 20's was too high for this type kit car, so this car in the mid 40's isnt that way high or did these type kits jump in value?

Thanks all for the help

eBay Motors: Replica/Kit Makes : GT 40 (item 200289285117 end time Dec-21-08 14:29:22 PST)

I saw this car this morning on eBay also - although it looks like a GT40, something tells me that there's something suspicious about it. Number 1, it rides high in the water (more like a foot off the ground rather than the demur 4 inch GT40). When I looked at the tranny, I thought is was a ZF, but Fran is a better judge than I.

I was also suspicious because the seller knew so little about the car.

Who would paint a drive train purple other than a purple people eater?

John
:lol:

This is definatly a t-3 and that is definatly a 914 transmission.I know because I own one of these and have been buliding it for a year and a half.As mentioned Mikedd on this board has one also and is was for sale last time I checked for about 15k less than the buy it now price listed.The plus about Mike's car is that he can tell you about every nut and bolt that went into it because he built it himself.

I admit I shouldn't have called the seller asking him stuff with no intention of buying the car, but he knows nothing about it yet believes it to be top shelf high end,
I knew in my mind it was a T3 with 914 gear box but wanted confirmation from the purists here.
I didn't notice how high it does sit until pointed out
The purple parts...who knows perhaps Barney the dinosaur once owned it,

According to what I was "told" by Dan Melson of Melsonmotorsport.com he has what was the T3 molds

David,
Is that a joke about cars being crushed....could the courts make a person get rid of a car they already have?

Roy,
I too am building my own custom version, a T3 LA Exotics type car using what I call the Kellison lineage body and custom mid engine frame,
I wonder if you would be willing to do some off forum private emails or phone talk with me so I can get some info and ideas from you,
Also I would love any pictures you might have,
[email protected]

Many thanks for all guys,
Cheers,
P.

PS,
What do you think is really the value of this car not what the seller dreams it to be worth but what someone might really pay

No joke about the asking price while the seller wasnt the most friendly fellow on the phone he made it clear he "KNOWS" this cars value and this is it

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Sometimes a little "know"ledge can be a dangerous thing....here's hoping he comes to his senses soon, no way this thing can be worth $46K.....no way.

Doug

Back