DRB #46 now on the road

It has been a long time but my DRB is on the road now I need to find out what has been happening in the world the last five years. I was going to put up a build site but in the end I couldn't be bothered so I went back to the garage.
My intention was to build a modern looking GT40 that is faithful to the early cars yet could be parked alongside a new supercar and not look to dated, to this end I have changed some cosmetic items. My apologies to the purists out there.
Thanks to the forum members who have help me along the way, I must thank Peter Ranson in particular, I properly hold the record for being the customer who has purchased the least amount of parts from DRB to build my car yet he always had the time to give me any advise and information I asked of him.
Pics coming stay with me i am a little slow.

Darrell
DRB #46
LS1 G50
Tungsten/silver strips

Here are some Pics as promised
Darrell

Attachments

• GT40 (35).JPG
    GT40 (35).JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • GT40 (22).JPG
    GT40 (22).JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 831
  • GT40 (25).JPG
    GT40 (25).JPG
    239 KB · Views: 885
And here are some more
Darrell

Attachments

• GT40 (36).JPG
    GT40 (36).JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • GT40 (29).JPG
    GT40 (29).JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 899
  • GT40 (23).JPG
    GT40 (23).JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 868
  • GT40 (10).JPG
    GT40 (10).JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • GT40 (18).JPG
    GT40 (18).JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 1,229
Darrell very nice job. Certainly some unique features, but it all works very, very well.

And I just love that colour scheme on GT40's.

Congrats.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Well done Daz --she looks fabulous -- best you come for a cruise to Qld. for the Cobra / GT40 roundup , 1st weekend every month.
BTW cleaver disguise of the exhausts:blank:

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Darrell, she looks stunning ! That simple pic of the rear of the car, sporting a rego plate, tells a huge story to those that know !

How are your facial muscles going ? It might take weeks of therapy to relieve the pain caused by that grin !!!

"On Ya" Mate !

Peter D.

Wow - beautiful! What a clean looking interior - I don't think I've ever seen grommetless seats used in a GT40 road car but they look stunning. Enjoy your car!

Hey, please post some more pictures, your car looks superb!

I'm really interested to see what the rest of the interior looks like, its so nice to see something different!

Darrell,
That's a sweet version of the GT40 you have there. Looks like a modern production model. I'd say you achieved your dream.Enjoy! Ditto on posting more pic's please.
Garry

Thanks guys for the kind comments
Chris yes i will be coming to a DRB BBQ some time soon maybe i can drag along the Sydney cars as well
I wil post some more shots soon ( i need to srink them first) my biggest problem is that i keep going for drives, im of again now.

Darrell

some more pics as requested, I have been out driving and gee wiz it gets some looks.

Darrell

Attachments

• GT40 (11).JPG
    GT40 (11).JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 1,955
  • GT40 (31).JPG
    GT40 (31).JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • GT40 (32).JPG
    GT40 (32).JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 2,008
  • GT40 (37).JPG
    GT40 (37).JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 974
  • GT40 (33).JPG
    GT40 (33).JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 863
  • GT40 (39).JPG
    GT40 (39).JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 818
  • GT40 (42).JPG
    GT40 (42).JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 1,025
Impressive looking car Darrell I think the time was better spent on building the car rather than a "build log". Congrats on your acheivement!

cheers
Stuart

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Darrell,

Looking good.Excellent interior a subtle modernising of the exterior.

Got to be proud of that.

Darrell
Wonderfully well done. I'm on the threshold of taking the plunge, if all remains cool!!, and ordering a chassis soon probably RF. I would like to take a similar approach, a more contemporary look if you like just as you have done. So could you please tell me where you got the wheels and what model name they are etc. Also the price if you would. The wheels are I believe are the most difficult part to get right if you stray form convention and these look real good. Well done Darrell. Fred.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
some more pics as requested, I have been out driving and gee wiz it gets some looks.

Darrell

Well done Darrell, a beautiful build. You will get used to those looks, and drivers changing lanes on you as they try and take your photo on their mobile.
And when you go to fill up with petrol allow an extra 20 minutes for answering questions. One of the GT40 guys who shall remain nameless, even had a girl flash her breasts at him. Sadly that hasn't happened to me:sad: but I live in hope.

Just as well there have been no breast-flashers, Pete, we don't want you careering off the road out of control. Not meaning to hi-jack the thread here.
Almost all GT40 replicas have a degree of modernisation, as road drivers don't want a huge steering wheel, do want air conditioning, may want lift-out windows, have to comply with rego requirements, use modern materials such as soundproofing and insulation. Most DRB's have twin wipers, paired speedo and tacho, central gearchange, non-grommetted seats, etc., and for my taste this is all good. Not pure, but GOOD. Taking the interior right up towards luxury also looks great to me, and as none of the other areas I've mentioned are historically accurate either, what does it matter? Of course, if you want a bare bones racer, that's your choice. But full marks for sticking at it to produce this great result, Darrell

Darrell, congrats on building one of the most beautiful DRB's I've seen. It's good to be different and the colour scheme is superb. Well worth the wait.

Bob

Fred my wheels are simmons ALTA series
Wheel Range
17 inch on the front and 18 on the rear, best you speek to them directly when the time come as the spec of the wheel will change depending what chassis you decide on.
I was undecided about my colour but after a bad expeirance with ROH wheels the simmons wheel made it easy to go tungsten/silver. Hope this helps.

Pete I had a similar experiance to you unnamed friend when driving a Datsun 1200 station wagon (25 years ago) so I am hopping for big things with the GT40

Bobski I have the Zoom mag with your car, what a wepon it must be, I am very impressed

Darrell

Darrell
You have come a long way since I dropped in last time.
Congratulations on getting those Plates.
I hope to be in Newcastle near the end of Feb (not in GT40 ) for a wedding so will try to pay a visit.
Kevin

Back