RF's at David Calleja Car Show in Bacchus Marsh

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Good day for taking the 40 out yesterday with temperatures in the low 30c so off to the David Calleja Memorial Car Show in the township of Bacchus Marsh west of Melbourne.
RF-Mk2 had a stand there and 4 GT40's were in attendance.

Here are some shots:

Attachments

• 01022009295.jpg
    01022009295.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 601
  • 01022009296.jpg
    01022009296.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 01022009309.jpg
    01022009309.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 476
  • 01022009310.jpg
    01022009310.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 486
  • 01022009302.jpg
    01022009302.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 507
I was at Small Ford Sunday yesterday .....man it was hot.

Great Display......Love the gulf replica complete with livery:thumbsup:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice shots Bill, when I lived in Melbourne in the sixties it was illegal to wear racing numbers on the street, the white spot was O.K.
Obviously things have changed.

Pete, two VicRoads Officers, one Vicroads Engineer, local police sergeant, no less than two police prosecutors and my insurer all have given the green light. Perhaps one of those old wives tales perpetuated by some over enthusiatic CAMS official.
I had the same recollection from the seventies. Besides, I think it looks better with a number. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Picture 520.jpg
    Picture 520.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 507

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It was , ( and as far as i know the rule still exists) an offence under CAMS regs for a competition car to arrive at or depart from a competition event with numbers affixed to the vehicle

Mmmm and you cannot drive without shoes..

Both the Cobra and the GT40 have had gumballs and numbers. I have even driven the GT40 with all the period stickers and numbered gumballs through a alcohol test. The only concern was if I had been drinking alcohol.

A zero test and I was off changing gears at 1200rpm....

Graeme,

Is it an optical illusion or are those air jacks extreemly long ? How did you get it to fit, especially under the front clip ?

Iain

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Here are a couple more shots of Graeme's car.
I can assure you all it looks even better in the flesh!

By the way Graeme, I had two of the winning raffle tickets :shocked:

Bill

Attachments

• 01022009300.jpg
    01022009300.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 01022009306.jpg
    01022009306.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 437
  • SANY0101.jpg
    SANY0101.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 385
Iain, nothing special that I'm aware. I am using standard Harrop low pressure 280PSI 72mm air jacks. You do have to use the twin nostril as the front air jack fits more or less in the middle and would no doubt foul on a single nostril.

The earlier picture shows the car on blocks of wood, to lift higher than normal, which might explain the illusion of the extra height.

Bill, thanks for the wrap and I'll have to buy raffle tickets next time!:idea:

Attachments

• Picture 502.jpg
    Picture 502.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 501
  • Picture 503.jpg
    Picture 503.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 462
  • P1030027.JPG
    P1030027.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 494
Hi,

The David Callega Car show was a great day, with a wide variety of cars , bikes & trucks on display.

Graeme's gulf car is an absolutely drop dead gorgeous looking RF example which really needs close inspection to fully appreciate the level of thought that has gone this car. I would think it would have the highest specs aside from the current engine for a road registered RF in AUS. Surprised no-one picked up on the carbon brakes, not to mention air jacks, full CAMS approved roll cage, custom sway bars and full house Motec with ADL dash and logging.

This car is credit to Graeme for the thought and execution of the build.

Can't wait to see it on the track!

Andrew E

Hi Graeme,

I have fitted the air jacks to my car, and still can run the single nostril panel. The trade off for this is that my front jack is positioned in the passenger side foot well. I suppose it'll give the missus something to brace against!

Mounting here means the top foot well ali cover plate will need some attention, as the fittings will obstruct this.

This pic shows how much further back mine is positioned. Hope it works!

Attachments

• DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 431

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Just a note to say that there will be a bunch of GT40's at this years David Calleja show this Sunday morning, for those in Melbourne Australia that may fancy a look.

car show link

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Bill :thumbsup:

Nice shots Bill, when I lived in Melbourne in the sixties it was illegal to wear racing numbers on the street, the white spot was O.K.
Obviously things have changed.

Here in the UK it is perfectly legal to have racing numbers on your car on the public highway. However, it is considered not the done thing and a bit ungentlemanly to do so (I think this goes back to pre WW2 when any hint of racing on the roads was definitely illegal and nobody wanted to give the general public the impression that it was taking place). So anyone displaying numbers on the public highway is considered to be a bit of a p**t, with the exception of GT40 owners in Gulf livery, who are all gentlemen in my experience.

Chris

Back