Options for number plate lights??

Hi all,

I have been looking at the two number plate lights on the GT40 and was wondering what other options have been used. I have the two chrome trailer type lights.

Craig W. in Qld. has suggested two of the small MGB type lights - similiar to the door gumball lights.

As I'm catching up with Craig at the Shelby Fest I'll check them out.

I'm currently looking at all cars on the road to see who uses smaller number plate lights.

Even a visit to the wreckers is next!!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bernie

Depending on the look you are after I'm also a fan of those lights Brian has pointed out. I have used the Lite N Boltz type before on a GT40. Very discrete.

Bernie has got existing holes on either side of the number plate to cover. But we have talked about different types of trim plate to cover them.

Be interesting to see what other ideas we get for number plate lights.

Craig,

The new white stripes may cover the old holes. I'll run some tape to get widths etc.

Ran the dyno Friday night, at 239 rwhp. Runs back at about 445 Hp at the flywheel.

Mmm just enough for the GT40

Talk soon Craig.

Bernie

Bernie Motor bikes have great looking number plate lights check out your local m/bike show rooms. regards Geoff

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bernie

Not wanting the rear of my car to look a mish mash of added on after market bits I made my own number plate trim with built in reversing lights from a Falcon and number plate lights from a commodore station wagon.

The resulting look is more OEM and cleaner rather than added on accessories.

Below are photos of the trim before and after.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0379.JPG
    PICT0379.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Rear panel1.jpg
    Rear panel1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 287
Dimi Terlecky

Dimi,

That looks really neat. Is the panel in the Falcon actually a plastic?

Did you cut out and glass or glue in?

Thanks

Bernie

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bernie

When I was looking for a number plate surround/trim I saw this Falcon trim and thought it would be the right look for my 40 but when I cut it out it was too big for the body section on the rear clip.

So I cut out the reversing lights and made a new frame out of aluminium plate and fitted the Falcon reversing lights and then found some neat small Commodore station wagon number plate lights and fitted them into the new alloy trim plate.

The Commodore number plate lights are small enough to fit into the space in the rear clip in the same space as the Falcon ones which are too big.
To ensure the lighting would be bright enough I used three instead of two as in the Falcon trim as can be seen in the photo.

The height of the DRB rear clip tail section is just big enough to make all this fit neatly.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the number plate lights you use must comply with the ADR rules and have a compliance Number or be "E" marked.

PM me if you need any further details.

Dimi

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Craig,

The new white stripes may cover the old holes. I'll run some tape to get widths etc.

Ran the dyno Friday night, at 239 rwhp. Runs back at about 445 Hp at the flywheel.

Mmm just enough for the GT40

Talk soon Craig.

Bernie

Nice numbers, you will need big rubber to get it all to the road, what Torque are you getting?

Bernie I recessed my number plate in by cutting into the rear clip on three sides and folding the bottom in.I then had just enough room for VS commodore wagon numberplate lights. There is a pic of it on MY thread (DRB 46 now on the road)
Hope this helps.

Darrell
DRB 46

Pete McCluskey

Pete, Yes I'm happy with the numbers.

I put rwhp instead of kilowatts at the wheels.

It was 239 kilowatts at the rear wheels. Think they put it at 340 engine kilowatts.

I have asked them to email the print out and will "post" it.

Cheers

Bernie

DAZPT

Darrell

Yes think I may recess the plate as well, either similiar to yours or with the idea Dimi suggested.

I'm looking at the wreckers over the next few days to get some ideas of what is available.

Thanks again

Bernie

Back