Budgeting for a DRB

Hi everyone,

If possible I'd like some information regarding the parts required to complete a DRB GT40.

The parts list on the website has prices beside each item, however I would like to know, how many of these parts are fabricated by DRB, and how many are off the shelf products?

DRB Sportscars - Parts list

Also, on average how much did you spend building your GT40.

And finally, does anyone have a DRB GT40 in the Melbourne area that I would be able to take a look at? I would like my car to be a daily driver and would love to sit in one to try it on for size (I'm 6'2").

Thanks in advance!

Heath.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Heath
Parts of your questions are difficult to answer.

The DRB GT40 has some parts eg, rear suspension, body hardware, windows
etc unique to their car but the rest can be sourced from other vehicles and parts suppliers.

The question of cost is open ended as it depends on a multitude of personal variations and also to a great extent how much or how little you are able, can or are willing to do.

Your height is not a problem if the build is tailored to your dimensions.

ie: lowered floor, extended firewall, Gurney bubbles, modified seats etc.

Welcome to the forum.
I think that all the answers you seek have been covered here at some time and the wealth of info on this forum is invaluable.
Have a look at some of the build threads as these will give you some idea of the work involved.

Dimi

Hi Heath,

Given your located in Melbourne may be you should give some consideration to having a look at a Roaring Forties car. By the sound of your questions I assume you are searching for a cheap alternative to get a build going. In regards to an average price to build a car is variable on level of equipment, attention detail to finish and skill level of the builder as to how much they can complete themselves. No matter which way you go they are not a cheap car to build.

Andrew

I agree with Dimi in that you have asked a question that is so hard to answer. Parts such as the corvette suspension and brake package are expensive in Australia but very resonable in the US. Steering rack and column are cheep as cheep locally. The price of the rest of the build will be directly related to the amount you can do yourself.
My DRB build was much less than I have seen mentioned in this forum but I fabricated a huge amount of my car myself(this takes time, 5 years in my case). If you have the skills and time this can be very rewarding but if not it can be a nightmare.
As for what kit to start with you must do your own reserch to build the car you are wishing to finnish with.
I spent 18 months researching my car including visits to Roaring Forties. Replication in New Zealand DRB and speeking to as many builders and turn key owners (face to face as posible) befor handing over my money.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/drb-gt40s/27217-drb-46-now-road.html (MY CAR)

Good luck and enjoy the trip

Darrell
DRB 46

Thanks for the replies guy, Darrell, I LOVE your car, If my car turned out looking half as good as yours I would be very happy!

Andrew, I have considered a Roaring Forties GT40, however I am a bit wary of all of the issues the company has gone through in recent years. I'm also not very impressed that they haven't updated their website in 3 years. The pricing status has been under review for this long. None of the builders seem to update their websites very often, but at least DRB has prices up and the DRB build threads I've read seem to show good support from the company.

Dimi, thanks for your response. My brother runs a suspension business and can get alot of the parts at trade cost, which is why I was hoping to get an idea of the percentage of parts which are actually fabricated by DRB. I'm guessing things like Engine mounts and stuff like that would come from DRB?

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hello Heath,

I think it best to give Peter at DRB a call. Anytime I needed something it was shipped right away. When I recieved my basic setup everything was there as listed on his website. The steering gear, suspension parts, engine and tranny, even electrical can be sourced. If you want to make some of the parts Peter will supply dims and sketches. he did for me anyway.

Pete

Hi Heath,

It's easy to become dependant on the net for all of our information. My advice would be to pick up the phone and call the guys at RF in Melbourne. I'm sure they will furnish you with as much information as you need to make an informed decision.

Having the factory in your own back yard would be a major plus, especially if you are going to build the car in stages. Don't forget to factor in shipping costs for components into your sums.

One last bit of info, it doesn't matter how cheap you get into a kit, they all cost the same to finish - to your own spec!

Good luck.

PR and DRB guys I hope you don't mind me posting here. Please move, edit or delete if you think necessary - just a couple of clarifications

"Andrew, I have considered a Roaring Forties GT40, however I am a bit wary of all of the issues the company has gone through in recent years."

Hi Heath, you may be thinking of "old RF" - We are a new company, new people, new premisis and in many ways a new (or further developed) product. I know the name is the same but please don't confuse us with their problems.

"I am also not very impressed that they haven't updated their website in 3 years. The pricing status has been under review for this long"

We'll have to cop that on the chin, although it is "nearly finished" we have been saying that for a long time as has our web guy. We have concentrated on product development for our new clients and servicing the existing clients but agree we need to get out there again esp via the new website.

Thanks for the feedback though, Regards Paul

Last edited:
With the amount of time and money you will be spending on this project, in my opinion it's worth the time and effort to see all the GT40 manufacturers in person. Then decide which suits you best. You will also learn a lot in the process.

You can source your GT40 parts from both local suppliers and overseas. This forum will guide you to the right places and the right products. And the suppliers can also offer advice.

You've certainly come to the right place to ask for advice. Enjoy the ride.

Hey Heith,
Good to see your interest in a 40. Nothing seems to stir peopls emotions quite as much as a 40. Take your time and don't rush in.
In responce to your quote that RF guys don't post as much, thats because we are enjoying driving our cars and not posting on every rivet we put into our cars.

Thanks for the responses guys, you have definately given me food for thought regarding considering Rf as well as DRB and other local builders.

Regarding my comments about the builders websites, I probably put a little more importance on an updated website because I make my living as a professional web developer. Plus I love to see new movies and photos of people's GT40 kits. Even though the RF site hasn't been updated for 3 years, I still probably visit it at least a couple of times per month to look at the pictures ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new site Paul. If you need a hand with it PM me as I have over 13 years web development experience and would love to help out.

Back