Green GT40 of Peter Sutcliffe

Hi
I am chasing info and pictures of Peter Sutcliffs dark metallic green 40.
Any help greatly appreciated.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
G`day mate,

Peter Sutcliffe`s car was GT40 1009 and was raced in Australia at the 1966 Surfers Paradise 12 hr with Frank Matich as his co driver.

My father was one of Matich`s mechanics in the day and I was able to find some good pics of it for his 70th birthday on the autopics.com.au website.

Also there is an article about the race in Sports Car World magazines October 1966 issue.

Later

This is the car
I can't find many pics of 1009. Anyone know of the colour code?

gt40_5.jpg

I actually have a B&W photo of 1009 at local Surfers Paradise track.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but 1009 was wearing number 2 back in those days. It also had dark wheel centres, either black or green. Same destinctive rocker cover stripes with the union jack on them.

Sorry can't help on the colour code.

Cheers Craig
I guess the car was not a popular one so pics and info is limited.
I was hoping for a good photo of the colour and maybe some engine and interior pics.

What happened to the car and is it still green? Can I get on a plane and view it somewhere on this planet......

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
From Ronnie Spains book,

Chassis number GT40 P/1009
Despatch date 18-8-1965
Customer Peter Sutcliffe
Colour Metallic green
Trim Black
Configuration Supplied as a kit of parts
Engine H 134. 289 Cobra
Transmission NR32. ZF 5-speed
Wheels Borrani 6 1/2 in. and 8 in.
Tyres Goodyear 5.50 and 7.00
Other details Le Mans Mark 1 front panel
Registrations TJ3 406/EN 1000/MG 1000/SBH 87H/HVX
7H/2472 GQ(New York)

GT40 P/1009 was shipped out on completion to South Africa where it was road registered and competed in the Springbok series.In 1966 it ran at Spa and Nurburgring before being shipped out to Australia for the August Surfers Paradise race.In October 1966 it was delivered to Ed Nelson in London.1009 remained unraced by its new owner until March 1967,
but the following 18 months saw the car competing in Sourh Africa and America as well as all over Europe.Ed raced 1009 for the last time on 22 September 1968 at Nurburgring.It was then sold to Malcolm Guthrie in Bicester,Oxfordshire,who resprayed it grey with maroon striping.First time out-at Kyalami on 9 November-it crashed sustaining considerable frontal and nearside damage.1009 was crated up and flown back to England.The story now becomes complicated,for on his return to England Malcolm decided to build a new 1009 rather than rebuild the wreck.The bare chassis was accordinglybought via JWA and work begun at Alan Mann`s workshops on considerably lightening the chassis prior to building it up with numerous Mark 11,Mirage and Allan Mann lightweight modifications.Finished in grey and maroon with gold pinstriping,this car ran at Le Mans,Norisring and Hockenheim before following in it`s predecessor`s tyretracks and doing the Springbok series.On it`s return to England it was registered SBH 87H for road use and never raced again.In the meantime,
however,the crashed chassis,far from being scrapped,had been sold off to Bryan Winfield in Essex(who later established the GT40 Owners Club).He successfully rebuilt it over the next year or so and ever since we have had two GT40 P/1009s.
In 1971 Guthrie`s car was sold to New Yorker Gil Jackson.It was shipped out along with GT40 P/1085 which Gil had also bought.All these years later Gil still owns both cars.In April 1976 Wingfield`s car(finished in mustard yellow and registered HVX 7H) was sold to Wayne Skiles in Oakland,California.In December 1976 it was exchanged with Walter Cantrell in nearby Napa for the wrecked chassis of GT40 P/1012.Walter still owns the car.

Later

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Hoppy are there more pics of 1009 in Ronnies book?
I don't have a copy and probably should...

Only pic of 1009 in Spain`s book is of the rebuilt one at Le Mans 1969.

In the book "The Ford that beat Ferrari" there is about a dozen colour and black and white pics of the original 1009 though.

Later

I would like to know as much info as possible on the GT40's and Peter Sutcliffe. I am searching for information and picture to build up a history of my Peter, my Uncle. My name is John Sutcliffe and obviously born in Huddersfield.

I recall on many occaision going to see Peter at his home with my Grandpar (who was Peter dad's brother) and watching him buld and maintain the various cars he had including the GT40's. I did a lap with him in 1966 at the Olton Park Gold Cup meeting of that year.

Peter went to live in South Africa for may years but has come back to the Uk some year ago and lives now in Oxfordshire. When I visit Huddersfiled to see my family I always take a drive past of the house where he lived, Graystones, for the nostalga.

I would dealy like to build this history going forwards. Any information and pictures would be welcome.

John

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sooty / John -

Welcome to GT40s.com ....

I would have to believe that if there's a common gathering place for a GT40 knowledge base - it is here.. Some people pop in and out with large gaps of time between visits - so you'd best be advised to continue posting on this thread periodically to bring it back up to the top where it will be most visible.

Ronnie Spain may also be able to assist. His contact address is ronniespain 'AT' ymail.com (Yahoo)

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Sooty -

I saw your Uncle drive this car in Cape Town in '65 or '66 at the Killarney Circuit in the 3 hour race I believe. Sometime into the race the left front wheel came off coming out of Cape Town Corner. It traveled for several hundred yards - where I tried to stop it! I was on the inside of the track taking photos. Knocked me flat on my back! Stupid me - after I got up I tried to pick the wheel up! Of course it was very hot and I burnt my fingers! I'm a little smarter now...I think.

Greetings all. Just stumbled upon this thread. I am the current owner of 1009. It has been restored in the US and is now back in the UK. Remarkably, the original bodywork is still on the car and she looks fantastic. She was displayed at Retromobile in Paris last month on the Fisken stand and has just had a couple of weeks on display in the RAC HQ on Pall Mall.

The original colour has been matched and she is restored as she was in 1965.

We plan to reunite Peter with the car shortly. He may even driver her in anger this year.

Roger

Back