Steel mono builders

What choices are there in the steel mono range?
I guess they are all expensive but which is the best value?
Can you buy just the steel roof section?

Well I guess there is :

Gelscoe
Gox
Mirage
John Shand
Roy Snook
Superformance

(Surname/company alphabetical to avoid name calling as I have one of the above on order) and there may well be others that didn't hit the top of my head as I typed. The list will probably grow.

I guess some of them MIGHT sell a separate roof but it would seem unlikely to me as these guys have all developed their own pressings and would probably be loath to put out their work on a component level to all and sundry.

I can't comment on comparative quality (not having seen them all) or pricing.

Cheers

Craig

Last edited:
Autofutura/CAV is also now available in kit form, so you might
be able to get just a chassis from them.

Also, IIRC, Tornado was working on a steel monocoque. Not sure
how far into re-development they are, the CF chassis has taken
precedence.

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Amen. He's not Mr. Speedy, but several people who know far more than I do have informed me that the David Brown Mark I tub is the most accurate of the ones available. Full disclosure: I have a David Brown tub, the second or third one made. And is IS a Mark I tub; Mark V parts frequently do not fit, as we have found out.

Keith

ERA = Steel Mono

But I'll bet you'll find it nigh on impossible to buy a tub from CAV, ERA, SPF unless you are already a customer and need a 'spare'.

Gox apparently is only doing a limited run of 30? (Correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember reading that some time ago). All spoken for.

On the bright side, it is alleged that there will be some Carbon Fibre tubs available this millenium. :!blank:

Problem with a steel roof mated to AN Other chassis is, will it fit?

'Amazed that you both forgot :
Dave Brown at Classic Car Developments. NZ

as I said before OOPS - sorry - slipped my mind, of course he should be in the list :embarassed:

so

David Brown
CAV
ERA
Gelscoe
Gox
Mirage
John Shand
Roy Snook
Superformance

For a 40 odd year old car, that I think is pretty well covered, once more I will say I can't state which is the better or even most complete having not had them all side by side with an original.

Cheers

Craig

Minor side note, the CAV mono is stainless steel - that's a big deal for me but not for many/most (I live in the rainy pacific northwest).

I'm guessing CAV would be the most reasonably priced but I thought
they had a fibreglass spider? I guess with buying the steel mono chassis you would need all the matching fibreglass aswell.

What is the average lead time for a Gelscoe,Gox,Mirage,John Shand,Roy Snook?

Are there any web pages for these builders?

What are the chances of converting something like a DRB to Steel roof spider?

I don't think tornado finished their steel mono.

Not trying to start a who's steel mono is better, just getting informed on what's available and when.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Gelscoe Motorsport
Dave S
The rest of those first six names don't seem to advertise or don't seem to have a web site. Which is probably about par for this course. If you are thinking about 'reasonably priced' then it's a function of how much 'reason' you have in store or where your threshold of reason starts.

Gelscoe seem to be entrusted for repairs for real pucca GT40 cars as well - I believe Newey had his repaired after the major shunt http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/18796-adrian-newey-destroyed-gt40-lm-classic-2006-a.html at Le Mans. Was that car repaired or how much of it was repairable I don't have a clue but it looked well and truly trashed to me.
Also Claude Nahum's car was fixed at Gelscoe after an accident, though apparently not as drastic as Neweys 'off ', also at Le Mans I believe. I saw it in September 2008 when it was returned to him at Silverstone and the repair was superb.
If I had the 'reason' (which I don't) a Gelscoe, with FIA docs, would be my choice at the moment.
Dave M

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Arguably Robert Ash in Georgia may be the world's expert at GT40 tubs, at least here in the USA. He restores original cars, and several of his restorations have won top-rank shows such as Pebble Beach. I think it is his work that is on racingicons.com. If you haven't seen that site, it is worth your while- the photography is quite good and he really goes into what is involved in restoring a GT40 tub. I don't doubt that he could build an entire tub easily, but I suspect he has not bothered; he's not in the reproduction or parts-sales mode.

There ARE a lot of people building Mark I and II tubs now. Wish there had been ten years ago, my life would have been a lot easier.

ERA = Steel Mono
Gox apparently is only doing a limited run of 30? (Correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember reading that some time ago). All spoken for.

Problem with a steel roof mated to AN Other chassis is, will it fit?

Gox run is only 20 pcs.

Göran offers steel greenhouse for spaceframe -model too. If my memory serves me well, it`s with original dimensions.
I`m afraid he isn`t happy to sell spare parts for DIY, and maybe he isn`t mr. speedy, too :blank:
But ask, then U know :)

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Ian/Dave

Our steel Mono was produced in the early 90s. It was also available in Aluminium and Stainless steel.

We did relaunch it for a short period but have now with drawn it in favour of our soon to be released Carbon Mono. We see this as the way forward. Minimium weight and maximium strength and rigidity.

We are sure the new Ford GT would have had a Carbon chassis if they had the time.

There are some very nice authentic steel Monos now available but some still seem to have internal box section bracing making them not real Monos.

The dash area always highlights these problems as its difficult to get the required stiffness.

Andy

Back