Newbie needs advice

I went to Carlisle this year and fell in love with the GT. I never thought I would fit as I am 6'6" but the guys from Olthoff showed me I could.

Now comes what may start a religious war, which builders car is considered the best? Not because I need the best, I just want the one that can handle a lot of miles with no stress. For an engine I am thinking Keith Craft, since the Roush units seem to have so many problems. For a transaxle I will probably go with the latest quaife.

I would like to buy a roller and then do the engine install with my son.

Sorry if I have any misspellings.

Ron Earp

Admin
Have a look at the bottom of the page you're reading right now. The forum always brings up threads that are related to the one you are reading. You'll find other threads at the bottom from folks asking the same question. And there are many more threads on this topic than what the forum is showing you now, just use the search engine. Welcome to the site!

Have a look at the bottom of the page you're reading right now. The forum always brings up threads that are related to the one you are reading. You'll find other threads at the bottom from folks asking the same question. And there are many more threads on this topic than what the forum is showing you now, just use the search engine. Welcome to the site!

Thanks. I think we have settled on getting a gt40 first and then a daytona coupe. Once I complete the diamond upgrade in January, I have free reign.

It's easy to answer your question Seth: the best builder's GT40 is the one you determine is the best after extensive research on this site and first hand knowledge with each builder. If you do that, you'll arrive upon the right one for you (and your son)!

It's easy to answer your question Seth: the best builder's GT40 is the one you determine is the best after extensive research on this site and first hand knowledge with each builder. If you do that, you'll arrive upon the right one for you (and your son)!

Uggg. That is the line I use my wife when she wants something.

What I am trying to figure out is there any difference between CAV, RCR or Superformance. There is a big price difference, but am I paying for a label or actual quality difference. For the motor I am staying away from Roush simply because I believe there is a 30% markup for a name.

Uggg. That is the line I use my wife when she wants something.

What I am trying to figure out is there any difference between CAV, RCR or Superformance. There is a big price difference, but am I paying for a label or actual quality difference. For the motor I am staying away from Roush simply because I believe there is a 30% markup for a name.

There are numerous differences between the three. Of the three, Superformance is
closest to the original, and only available as a turnkey minus, though many SPF
dealers will either complete the car for you, or have someone that will. You
definitely pay for the Superformance name, and the deal with Safir that allows the
SPF to be "numbered" and an "official" GT40. SPF also has a race model being
developed. I believe the monocoque is mild steel.

CAV is kind of in between SPF and RCR as far as closeness to original. It has a
stainless monocoque. CAV has been around for some time, originally as CAV, but
currently it is Auto Futura, keeping CAV as a "product" name. They also are
developing a race version. Also, CAV is available mostly as a turnkey minus,
but also now comes in kit form.

RCR bodywise is very close to original, but the chassis is another beast completely.
It is a newly designed aluminum monocoque, and the suspension pieces are
unique designs as well. It is a very well engineered kit, developed with perfoemance
in mind. It comes in kit form standard, but RCR will sell it in just about any level of
completeness you want. And, if you select your own engine builder, I believe RCR
will install the engine if you ship it to them. RCR will also do custom fab work to
some degree to use the parts you want i.e. if you wanted a bow tie LS and/or
Ricardo transaxle, they will probably accommodate your request - for a fee of
course, engineering work is not cheap ;)

In all honesty, I don't think you will be disappointed in any of them. See if there
are an local to you so you can check them out, fly to RCR's factory and visit with
Fran, etc. Bottom line, make a checklist of what you want out of a GT40 replica -
what level of completeness you want, all road, all race, something in between,
how close to original, etc. As you tick off choices, you may find one of the
manufacturers will meet your needs more closely than the others.

Ian

Ian is spot on.

Seth, I see you are in VA. What part? I am in Lynchburg and would be happy to show you my RCR40. Dennis was down running his Mark 2 GT40 at VIR this weekend. I would only add to Ian's comments that if you decide to go with Superformance, then you really should use Dennis as a dealer/builder. Even though the SPF is "turn-key minus" there are still many things that have to be done right to get the car setup properly - it's not anywhere near a production car.

I should add that after reading my post, it almost reads as if I am discounting
AF/CAV as an option. Purely unintentional, and, of the three, I myself am
leaning towards CAV. For me, the biggest question is space frame vs. mono.

Ian

Back