Question SPF / CAV

Hi,
In your opinion, how would you say the Superformance compares with the CAV re creation of the GT40? Im interested in buying one but would probably prefere to source something here in Europe as by the time I add the 15% vat, import duty and shipping it sort of kicks it into touch.
Call me an optimist but would like to keep my spend to around £45,000-£50,000.

Thanks,
Jonathan

$100,000.00 plus in US$ for a new SPF. I've heard of some good deals on the used market but its been a while. You can save some money doing the install yourself but unless your really handy with tools and have really handy friends I would have some one else do it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Jonathan...

You can never tell what kind of bargain you can find these days. I've seen cars sell for less than half of what their expected value would be just a year ago...

Be sharp and have cash.. Money talks and BS walks...

There was a guy on here a while back.... selling either a CAV or SPF, i think it was a CAV. I seem to remember him being in South Africa... he quoted a price shipped to the UK for about £50,000.

It's fairly rare to find these cars for that sort of price... but it definitely can happen and as said, in this current market you maybe lucky.
Not sure how it would stand up to the new SVA regs, mainly because i don't know what they've changed / added :)

Good Luck.

Hi and here's 2cents from a CAV owner. Bought mine 2007 but, but, it's the old CAV, ie. the GTD, tube frame, built in South Africa, excellent quality, good materials and finished well. In the past six months I've seen two or three of THAT kind of car with an asking of $60,000 to $70,000 US dollars.
They're ALL replicas. They're ALL faithful. They all hit the right brain gland.
For me, it hit all the buttons. Unless you have stratospheric income, you/we'll never own an original, so this has done me exceedingly well so far, and I am a perfectionist (sadly).
Bottom line, yes 45,000 Pounds UK will get you a CAV, just not the NEW CAV with full monocoque. Ask the question: What is it you are really looking for?" I'd never buy a Fiero-rari, but these cars are purpose built, hand assembled, tube-framed, sound right, look right, handle right. Assembly, fit and finish, ancillaries working properly, and a fettled drivetrain are very important. Sorry to go on, but I didn't want to see a fella' have his hopes entirely dashed.
Simon in Canada
icon6.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Keep your eyes open, look at a lot of cars, and don't be in a hurry. You'll find what you want. At a price you can afford. But the best car you can find and have it surveyed thoroughly before you allow yourself to fall in love.

I bought my mono SS CAV for approx. $50,000USD (including basic but solid drivetrain) with low mileage. Beautiful car. Seller a good guy. Was helpful having cash to spend w/o having to muck around with financing. If you can be patient you can find a good deal. And, don't be shy about making a lowish offer - tough economic times out there right now.

Back