How many GT40s in the world?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:

Ian Clark

Supporter
Sure the questions been asked before, newbies will ask and we'll straiten them out. The better question would be "how many GT40 are being driven in the world?" Ok, somebody can straiten me out:)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Might be better to start with actual production numbers for each year up to and including 1969.

Does anyone have those stats?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Best guess. 2000 replicas produced along with the 115ish originals all types. About half on the road and completed or being run as track cars. This comes to about 2 per month completed since since 1965.

I bet there's that many Cobras in California.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I think Howards pretty close to the mark. Before the CAVs and SPFs came onto the scene there were far fewer getting done. What's the percentage of kit's that never get completed?

Fascinating stuff Gents. Thanks to all for posting responses I find this thread (and the previously asked thread) very enjoyable. Bottom line IMHO....those of us driving the GT40 are few....and very privileged. CAV # 82.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Maybe this is just my sad analytical mind at work, but I feel this should be more acurately 'estimatable'.

Possibly by estimating the number by manufacturer/series (possibly not accouting for how many kits completed or not, how many destroyed etc):-
(Σ Σ Σ (Series_High - Series_Low)) +#One offs
M S
Where M=Make/'Manufacturer' (e.g. Original, ERA, GTD, CAV, SPF, KVA, DRB, Tornado, MDA!)
S=Series (e.g. prototype, J car, MkI, MkII etc)
Series_High/Series_Low=the highest & lowest known chassis/serial numbers in each series (or just replace by total number if known).

or by considering how many are known in each region as this may be easier to estimate/certain individuals may have a good idea how many are in their area, then summing up over larger areas:-
Σ Σ Σ Σ
K C R
Where K=Continent,
C=Country,
R=Region (State/County etc)
There's probably not really that many countries (e.g. USA, UK, Australia, South Africa, NZ, Canada, France, Germany, Belgium, Japan, Sweden) that would need estimating to get a pretty good idea of the total number, and the remainder would probably not make too much difference. e.g. if USA=2000±200 then unless the 'rest ot the world' (not listed above) is significantly more than 50 it wouldn't change things greatly.
How many GT40s are there in Africa outside of South Africa?

Just my geeky thought for the day! I'm now going to go and get a life!! :)

Max
[PS just previewed it and the spacing is all messed up, so no comments about the layout (please)]

Back