To Build My Own-How Much

OK, I'm sure this question has been beat to death, especially by us newbies, but I've got to ask it; How much money would I be looking at for a Body, Frame, and Dash. I'd do cabling, wiring, wheels, brakes, engine, instruments, etc... later on. I realize different suppliers will charge different prices. If there is a link to this answer somewhere, I'll be satisfied with that. I really just need a ballpark (or Cricket Field) figure.
Thanks!

I have just started to do research on having a GT40 built and if you go to the website for any of the builders they will have a price list. RCR has 3 kits available for the MKI and MKII just depends how much work that you want to do yourself and what your budget allows.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have attached a spreadsheet for the parts to build a reasonable mid range car. You can put in your own prices to customise it to your exact spec. Note that this is for parts only. You build it yourself or pay someone a lot of money as these cars take a lot of time and effort to build as you will see from the build logs. Prices are also available on the manufacturers websites such as Tornado, Southern GT, RCR etc.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GT40 build cost.xls
    19 KB · Views: 293
Thanks. Does anybody have a recomendation as to which company offers the closest to the original. I'd like to purchase a few parts at a time. Does that sound feasable?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks. Does anybody have a recomendation as to which company offers the closest to the original. I'd like to purchase a few parts at a time. Does that sound feasable?

Mark - a quick search of the forums here will yield a LOT of information. For instance this thread;

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40...ate-replica-kit-currently-being-produced.html

This topic has been a forum favorite for a very long time...

-edit- Yes you could very well buy the parts from various sources as you build/can-afford...

Thanks guys! This is a great help. Now I can start planning.
Thanks for the Build Sheet and the forum information. I was pretty sure this had been a major topic in the past.

Mark,
I suggest you contact Johann Keyser at CAV-US. He is located near you. CAV now offers the CAV GT in component form. You can purchase various stages and do as much of the assembly as you wish.

His contact info is at www.cav-us.com.

Tom

Mark:

If you have a very small budget less that say ($15,000) then a 40 may not be for you. If you have a lot of skills and are willing to give up many many hours you could do a scratch build. Several manufacturers have a great product and it will get you rolling a whole lot faster. It is all the little things that add cost. But details make the difference between a fair and a great car.

Mark, it's also worth bearing in mind how you intend to use the car. Road use? Track days? Racing? The reason behind this is that the original cars were racers, and as such have some major failings when used as road cars. Put simply, they leak like a seive in the rain, and are hot, cramped and noisy in the dry. While these attributes are ok in a track car, they can be majorly annoying in a road car.

Some manufacturers (such as Superformance) go for authenticity, building cars as close to the original design as possible, accepting the flaws because 'thats the way they were'. Others (CAV, RCR) have tweaked the design, sacrificing 'originality' to make the cars more user friendly on the road.

It's worth considering these things carefully before making your decision.

Cheers... G

Thanks again. Yes I do have a small budget, but I'm not really interested in putting something together quickly just so I can get it on the road. I'm looking at it more of like a hobby. Doing a little here and a little there. The main thing I would need to purchase first would be the shell, chasis, and some interior components (dash and seats). Wheels, suspension, plumbing, wiring, paint, instruments, upholstry, lights, weather stripping, engine, and performance parts could be done at a later date. I'm not that interested in making the car an exact replica of, say, a Mk II or Mk IV, etc... because it won't be an original. It can't be. The new Ford GTs aren't "original". I've always loved the GT40 every since I saw it way back in '70 on "Le Mans" (also liked the Heuer watch McQueen wore) and knew I could never own one. Not even one of the new Ford GTs, but then I accidently found this website. To be honest guys, I'm kinda excited. I love my Lotus and fell in love with the Europa the first time I saw one, but there's something about American V-8 muscle. Vroom-Vroom.

Back