What's the right kit?

Well, I think I'm about ready to start looking. I've visited RCR, Tornado, and CAV websites. I hope I'm not rehashing old posts and if I am, someone please direct me to the previous posts, but I'm looking for the proper kit. I'm going to start with chasis and body first, then purchase other items as my funds/time allow. I think I've narrowed it down to the Mk IV and what I'm most interested in is something more along the lines of the Ford GT as opposed to the GT 40. I have personal reasons for that. Do any of the afore mentioned manufacturers offer a Ford GT kit that you know of? Is it even possible to build the Ford GT? I'd rather have the extended length and extra 3 inches the Ford GT offers. I measured my Lotus last night, which I thought was low, but it's 42.5" at the peak of the windscreen. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mark, the beauty of the GT40 is the roof cutout that the doors fit into. I doubt most us would be able to get in or out of our cars without the ability to get in/out through the roof!
AFAIK nobody makes a kit of the new Ford GT.
Simon

I think the only MK 1V available is from RCR, I think you'd have to speak to them to see how it compares to a MK1

Mark, if your height of roughly six foot is driving your choice then don't fret - I think most all of the GT40 kit makers are producing kits that can reasonably accommodate a six footer. With a few little tricks (dropped floors, no sliders, slimmer seat bases, etc.), most all should be able to accommodate you along with even a race helmet.

I don't believe anyone is making a Ford GT kit. Several of the GT40 builds here on GT40s.com are using very similar drivetrains - Ricardo transaxle and supercharged Ford V8 - in a GT40 kit. Very fast car.

Mark,

I have a CAV Mark I with the Guerney bubble. I am 6'0" and fit comfortably with helmet. I even put extra cushion under the driver seat to raise my line of view an inch higher. No problems.

Tom

Mark,
I've got an S1 Lotus Europa (lowered to 40" height) as well as a SPF GT40 MkII. The GT40 is actually easier to get into and has more interior space than the Europa. I only wish I had gotten a Gurney bubble for helmet clearance on track days.

Attachments

• DSC_0312 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0312 (Small).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 261
Mark, if what you really want is a Ford GT,not a GT40, then save the extra 40 thou over the period it would take to biuld your kit, and buy one. There are several on the market from 99k to less than 130k at present. You will have invested 80 - 90k with the drivtrain similar to the GT anyway,given the median kit price. [Manufacturers - yes, some are cheaper - I said 'median', and last time I looked there were no inexpensive MK IVs out there.] Not trying to talk you out of a kit,but buy the car you really want. If you plan on driving in wet weather a lot, the GT is a better bet.

Actually, I do want the GT 40 and not the Ford GT. I didn't know the Ford GT had been made into a regular car 'til you guys told me that. What I think I like so far is the Mk I design. I need to do a little more research but I hope to have the kit within about a year at the outside. I just want to make sure that what I end up purchasing is what I really want. I appreciate the help I've had so far, especially with some of my inane questions.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

Everybody gets to post one or two, as you called them, inane questions - hey, we've all done it. The best advice I ever received from a long-time member of the forum is not to be shy about using the search tool. It works like a charm, nearly every time.

The right kit is the one that works best for you. Most of those selling packages these days have their act together. Do the needed research and, when you're ready, don't be afraid to send a PM to the owner of a package that peaks your interest. That will be the place to get the straight scoop.

As for your height and for what it's worth, I'm 6-1 and have no trouble at all in mine... I'm sure you'll find your 40 to be positively roomy when it arrives.

And it will. Don't let go of the dream. :thumbsup:

Back